Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 12 - Port v Hawks Sat June 3rd 1:45pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Since we are going back in time.

Was reminiscent of this game at half time.

Glad we fought back. I unfortunately remember this game all too well (was still a bit too young before I could get on the piss) and it was ******* ugly.

I've never seen a supporter base be such misery gutses about finishing in the top 4 and playing in Prelim Finals

98% of the whinging, joyless narks who post on the Port board should find a new hobby.

Seriously. They seem to get zero enjoyment out of following AFL footy.
It's called standards. Something a bottom 4 team wouldn't understand.

Excellent second half by Hawthorn. They stuck it up all the knockers.

Hawks... 11.7 (73)
Port........ 7.4 (46)

It was a bit of a slow start. We had the cue in the rack early on
But there's a lot of positives to draw from that spirited performance against one of the premiership favourites.
We are building something special.
Even when we sucked I wasn't this desperate for positive reinforcement.

If it makes you feel any better, your boys are definitely better than where they're placed on the ladder.

Very interesting seeing the potting of Port. Spent alot of petrol early. Finlayson was gassed late in the 3rd term, Aliir cramping 10mins into the 4th. Dylan Williams (known to not be terribly fit) walking by the end of the game. Our bigger bodies won the game when it was in the balance. Lycett is subbed out with a sore back and one of the dominant rucks in the competition demolishes our gassed non-ruckman/20 year old non ruckman. Their younger smaller bodies ran the game out better. A 9 goal win for 9 wins in a row and opposition supporters are carrying on like we lost. Meanwhile Melbourne, Brisbane, WB all lost last week and Collingwood only beat North by 6 goals. Collingwood are playing a WAFL side today. 20 goal win or GTFO right?
God you love a melt.

Bit odd that a Port Adelaide supporter would rabbit on about the winning streak too btw. You had one of those before the 2021 prelim, right before a good ol’ fashioned “Port Adelaide” choke.

Agree on today tho, winning is winning.

Last edited:
That game is everything I hate about Hinkley - lack of ruthlessness. How can you be up by 90 odd points and lose the second half?

Its completely unacceptable.

What a s*it c*nt he is.

If we play one and half quarters in the finals we are OUT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Takes longer when you don't rort the draft by finishing bottom 4 more often than not.
Do you get all your footy knowledge from watching Footy Classified? :$

The Hawks have finished in the bottom four just once in the past 17 years.
That was the 2020* covid year when the AFL stitched up Hawthorn with the worst fixture any team has ever had.

Since the AFL brought in the National Draft 36 years ago, the Hawks have finished bottom four on six occasions.
Geelong is the only team with fewer 'bottom four' finishes over that same time period.

2020* 15th... 5-12... 84%

2005... 14th... 5-17... 82%
2004... 15th... 4-18... 70%

1998... 13th... 8-14... 96%
1997... 15th... 8-14... 87%
1996... [finals]
1995... 15th... 7-15... 94%

We weren't even that terrible in 3 of those seasons in the 90's. Just an average/mediocre team with a bad injury list and 8 wins (just a couple wins behind 8th, 9th). We sucked in 2004-05 and we suck right now. But not as bad as Port sucked in 2011-12 when the new franchises were the only thing keeping them from being wooden spooners.

Last edited:
Do you get all your footy knowledge from watching Footy Classified? :$

The Hawks have finished in the bottom four just once in the past 17 years.
That was the 2020* covid year when the AFL stitched up Hawthorn with the worst fixture any team has ever had.

Since the AFL brought in the National Draft 36 years ago, the Hawks have finished bottom four on six occasions.
Geelong is the only team with fewer 'bottom four' finishes over that same time period.

We weren't even that terrible in 3 of those seasons in the 90's. Just an average/mediocre team with a bad injury list and 8 wins (just a couple wins behind 8th, 9th). We sucked in 2004-05 and we suck right now. But not as bad as Port sucked in 2011-12 when the new franchises were the only thing keeping them from being wooden spooners.

2020* 15th... 5-12... 84%

2005... 14th... 5-17... 82%
2004... 15th... 4-18... 70%

1998... 13th... 8-14... 96%
1997... 15th... 8-14... 87%

1995... 15th... 7-15... 94%
The issue with most people is that they only remember 2 weeks of those seasons and that included our club record loss. During that season we beat Richmond, Adelaide and Melbourne. So while we stunk in 2011, in 2012 we came 14th so there were 4 worse teams than us and there was one worse in 2011.

in 2004-05 you had 9 wins. In 2011-12 we had 8 wins and one draw so I would say that it is quite comparably garbage years.

That game is everything I hate about Hinkley - lack of ruthlessness. How can you be up by 90 odd points and lose the second half?

Its completely unacceptable.

What a s*it c*nt he is.

If we play one and half quarters in the finals we are OUT.
It was a good professional win.

We used to do that a lot in our three peat side. Smash someone in the first half and put the cue in the rack.

It's a marathon not a sprint. No point risking picking up pointless injuries in what was effectively a dead rubber at that point.

It was a good professional win.

We used to do that a lot in our three peat side. Smash someone in the first half and put the cue in the rack.

It's a marathon not a sprint. No point risking picking up pointless injuries in what was effectively a dead rubber at that point.
When you get coached by a hand bagger with a history of finals fadeouts, a fadeout of that magnitude is worrying.

If we were being coached by a normal person (a winner) I'd be less worried.

The issue with most people is that they only remember 2 weeks of those seasons and that included our club record loss. During that season we beat Richmond, Adelaide and Melbourne. So while we stunk in 2011, in 2012 we came 14th so there were 4 worse teams than us and there was one worse in 2011.

in 2004-05 you had 9 wins. In 2011-12 we had 8 wins and one draw so I would say that it is quite comparably garbage years.
I've always regarded PAFC highly for the way they maintain their competitiveness, year after year. Proud club with a winning tradition.

I would've put the Hawks in the same boat up until this current era... which has nothing to do with any of that "tanking" crap that cretins like Damian Barrett like to troll us over... More to do with the poor long-term planning by Clarkson & recruiting staff from 2012-2019. They always recruited for the 'now':, winning flags, making finals, etc... and now we're seeing the flipside to that "win now/worry later" list management strategy.

Mitchell is doing a pretty good job with the rebuild. If these are worst of times for us Hawks fans, then I'm okay with it. Prefer to see us lose with a young team than to faff about & go nowhere with an older team. We all knew it was gonna be a bumpy ride. As long as we keep developing the kids and giving us fans reason to hope for better days ahead, then I'm okay with it. I don't think we'll be down in bottom 4 territory for too much longer. Maybe another year... or not. Things can change quickly.

I'd be more upset about getting flogged at the Adelaide Oval if we were 8th, 9th, 10th. But Port are a really good team. I think most Hawks fans expected / feared a shellacking today. Things looked pretty dire in the first 2 and a bit quarters.... It looked as though records would tumble. So I'm gonna take away the 55 point loss and a losing score of 14.12 (96) and say it could've been a hell of a lot worse.

Last edited:
I've always regarded Port pretty highly for the way they maintain their competitiveness, year after year. Proud club with a winning tradition.

I would've put the Hawks in the same boat up until this current era... which has nothing to do with any of that "tanking" crap that cretins like Damian Barrett like to troll us over... More to do with the poor long-term planning by Clarkson & recruiting staff from 2012-2019. They always recruited for the 'now':, winning flags, making finals, etc... and now we're seeing the flipside to that "win now/worry later" list management strategy.

Mitchell is doing a pretty good job with the rebuild. If these are worst of times for us Hawks fans, then I'm okay with it. Prefer to see us lose with a young team than to faff about with an older team. We all knew it was gonna be a bumpy ride. As long as we keep developing the kids and giving us fans reason to hope for better days ahead. I don't think we'll be down in bottom 4 territory for too much longer. Maybe another year... or not. Things can change quickly.
I think you're right with all your points. The issue is when you move on as much experience as what you have is that your depth gets tested if you have a few injuries. I don't know all of your list but you seem to have a couple high picks missing.

Any team is only as good as your bottom 6 players and it might take a few years to build that. You have some really good young players.

Meaning you have nothing champ. Do you think Port's 2020 or 2021 defence stacks up against the ones I mentioned?

Our defence was good in those 2 years. It's irrelevant to this argument anyway as most coaches are sacked without necessarily having premiership capable teams. Never can be 100% sure what's a premiership capable team anyway.

Remember Ken holds the AFL/VFL record for longest time at a club without a flag. Let that sink in.

To his credit he is coaching very well this season and if he keeps it up it will be hard not to extend him if he wants it.

Our defence was good in those 2 years. It's irrelevant to this argument anyway as most coaches are sacked without necessarily having premiership capable teams. Never can be 100% sure what's a premiership capable team anyway.

Remember Ken holds the AFL/VFL record for longest time at a club without a flag. Let that sink in.

To his credit he is coaching very well this season and if he keeps it up it will be hard not to extend him if he wants it.

Chris Scott went 12 years without a flag.

Back