Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 16 - Lions v Tigers Thurs June 29th 7:20pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, they were very strong favourites, had a psychological edge on us, leapt out of the blocks and we did very well to reverse the trajectory of the match.

And without mighty Joe Daniher too.
A fit Trac would have helped but we were a very average side in the second half of last year.

I wouldn’t get too excited by that win but in any case the Lions are a much stronger team with Dunkley, McKenna and Ashcroft anyway. Gunstan if he can get right would be huge too.

A fit Trac would have helped but we were a very average side in the second half of last year.

I wouldn’t get too excited by that win but in any case the Lions are a much stronger team with Dunkley, McKenna and Ashcroft anyway. Gunstan if he can get right would be huge too.
Brisbane are shaping to be a better team than they were last year. Looking dangerous.

A Port v Brisbane Prelim final would be epic. Doesn't matter where. If both sides continue to build to finals it could be a fantastic battle.

Go watch how much vitriol comes Geelong's way in tonight's game.
Often Richmond fans the main culprits so it goes both ways BF.
I’m not arguing that, and I know which Tiger supporters you might be referring to. You could take the high ground but have chosen not to.

A decision that has never been made prior or since. A decision that decided the game. Sugar coat it all you want but your finals record ain’t great.

My recollection is that the game was decided by 4 Richmond defenders standing around like doofuses while Joe Daniher crumbed a beauty in the goal square.

840D07CE-2D32-436F-894D-7F6B6842DC01.jpeg

My recollection is that the game was decided by 4 Richmond defenders standing around like doofuses while Joe Daniher crumbed a beauty in the goal square.

View attachment 1725747
Amusing to think the game would’ve been “decided”, given they’d only have been 9 points clear, with 2:02 remaining on the clock. Seen them lose from far safer positions than that! Karmichael Hunt springs to mind.

Anyway, this thread is about last night - let’s focus on that.

I thought our boys were very good, and theirs were very bad. I personally do enjoy the songs after the goals, though I do think some could make a more inspiring choice of track.

All in all it was a great night. 👍

View attachment 1725747
I remember it. Bitter, bitter defeat. The kind of loss that hits you really hard. Kills your mood and you have to fight hard to push it aside because you have a family and you have to set an example and you cannot afford to let such a cruel result effect how you are around them. You don't forget anything about a result like this easily. Crushing way to end the game and the season from my end.

When you love the game and your team you just have to cop it. Up the Tigers!!

Lions are starting their run to finals. Four teams are genuine contenders this year.

Joe Daniher is one of the most entertaining footballers in the league.

Hopper and Taranto are not magic beans.

Have I missed anything?
That Haso is an underappreciated, uncommonly attractive, genius?

I mean it's out of context and not relevant, but you still missed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, they were very strong favourites, had a psychological edge on us, leapt out of the blocks and we did very well to reverse the trajectory of the match.

And without mighty Joe Daniher too.

They would have accounted for Richmond quite comfortably. If you are trying to dismiss that game as having any value for countering the notion that the Lions are both finals chokers and incapable of winning at the G if they put it together, then it's only because you really, really want it.

We put out one of our weaker/younger teams of the last 2-3 years that night. No Daniher, Big O, Wilmot playing his second game, Fullarton and Answerth playing.

2019 - Dominated Richmond early but eventually lost by 47 points
2020- beat a lynchless Richmond by 15 points, lynch plays tigers win.
2022- ark decision got you over the line.
In 2022 you weren’t robbed by an ARC decision, have a watch of Lynch’s reaction after he kicked it and he knew he’d missed.

If a player doesn’t celebrate in that moment then then that’s your clearest indication it missed.

Time to put your big boy pants on and accept it

In 2022 you weren’t robbed by an ARC decision, have a watch of Lynch’s reaction after he kicked it and he knew he’d missed.

If a player doesn’t celebrate in that moment then then that’s your clearest indication it missed.

Time to put your big boy pants on and accept it
Ahh ok, so future arc decisions they just zoom into the players face? Fact is the goal umpire called it a goal and it was overruled on flimsy evidence.
Who knows what the last 2 mins would have held but you would have needed 2 goals to win it not 1.

Ahh ok, so future arc decisions they just zoom into the players face? Fact is the goal umpire called it a goal and it was overruled on flimsy evidence.
Who knows what the last 2 mins would have held but you would have needed 2 goals to win it not 1.
Aahh so a goal umpires wrong decision is okay but the right decision on review is bad.

Head in the clouds stuff here

Aahh so a goal umpires wrong decision is okay but the right decision on review is bad.

Head in the clouds stuff here
Right decision? There was no right decision. Has there even been an overrule on a goal umpires decision for an over the post goal? Ever since arc was introduced besides that game?
I’ve seen similar this year and when there is no concrete evidence the goal umpire’s decision stands. If the goal umpire paid a behind the arc would have said inclusive evidence to overturn so it’s back on the goal umpire. Those who argue against this are delusional.

Right decision? There was no right decision. Has there even been an overrule on a goal umpires decision for an over the post goal? Ever since arc was introduced besides that game?
I’ve seen similar this year and when there is no concrete evidence the goal umpire’s decision stands. If the goal umpire paid a behind the arc would have said inclusive evidence to overturn so it’s back on the goal umpire. Those who argue against this are delusional.
Firstly it wasn’t an over the post goal, it was obviously a behind but the goal umpire was forced to make a call and clearly made the wrong one.

In this case if the goal umpire had made a soft call of behind then that call would have stood because it was a behind.

It’s really not that hard to understand.

I would genuinely like to know if trolling responses aside, the Lions fans enjoy the songs after the goals that the ground has created.

Personally, I'm happy just for crowd atmosphere whenever I attend a game, and hearing the same songs over and over even when they are my team scoring goals becomes irritating. Hearing that every week regardless of the circumstances I'd find annoying.

I feel it's just something they accept, but if you had the choice of having it or not, how many would actually choose to have the songs option vs not?
Go to many days of Ashes cricket and listen to the Balmy Army singing the same five tunes over and over.

Firstly it wasn’t an over the post goal, it was obviously a behind but the goal umpire was forced to make a call and clearly made the wrong one.

In this case if the goal umpire had made a soft call of behind then that call would have stood because it was a behind.

It’s really not that hard to understand.
It was over the post, no vision on the night or since has shown it was definitely a point.

Back