Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 16 - Suns v Pies Sat July 1st 4:35pm AEST (Heritage Stadium)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldcoast-vs-Coll.png

10th v 1st

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 16
GOLD COAST V COLLINGWOOD
SATURDAY JULY 1ST 4:35PM EST (HERITAGE STADIUM)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams

SUNS

B: C.Ballard, S.Collins, M.Andrew
HB: B.Long, D.Macpherson, W.Powell
C: B.Ellis, D.Swallow, B.Ainsworth
HF: S.Flanders, N.Holman, B.Humphrey
F: J.Lukosius, B.King, L.Casboult
FOLL: J.Witts - C, M.Rowell, N.Anderson

I/C: B.Fiorini, H.Oea, M.Rosas, L.Weller
EMG: R.Atkins, C.Burgess, S.Lemmens, J.Farrar

In: None
Out: R.Atkins (Sub)

MAGPIES
B: B.Frampton, D.Moore - C, B.Maynard
HB: J.Howe, N.Daicos, J.Noble
C: O.Markov, S.Pendlebury, J.Daicos
HF: W.Hoskin-Elliott, B.Mihocek, P.Lipinski
F: J.Elliott, D.Cameron, T.Adams
FOLL: M.Cox, B.Hill, T.Mitchell

I/C: I.Quaynor, J.Crisp, N.Murphy, B.McCreery
EMG: N.Kreuger, J.Ryan, H.Harrison, A.Johnson

In: B.Frampton
Out: H.Harrison (Omitted), A.Johnson (Omitted)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:
I really really want to tip the Suns but I’m just not convinced yet. The Pies will be a much sterner challenge than a very flat Hawthorn. I’ll go with the Pies but it’d be great for footy if the Suns can keep the finals dream alive with a win so I hope they surprise me.

If we're ever going to pull off a big upset this season then this feels like the game to do it. We've been pretty good at Carrara this season and the Pies' recent form looks a bit shaky/unconvincing in the last three weeks with a 4-point loss to the Dees, a bye and a 2-point win over the Crows at the MCG. Outside of Carlton last week, we've had some really good recent wins over the Bulldogs, Crows and Hawks in the last month so our boys should be up for the fight. No De Goey or Sidebottom certainly helps us and I'd also add that Collingwood's scoring appears to have taken a hit ever since De Goey's suspension when they were averaging 94.3 points prior to his suspension and now they've scored 62 and 82 points in their last two games.

We're expecting a sell out crowd for this one (or very close to it) so it's going to be a good atmosphere for the players. I just hope our fans are heavily engaged because we very nearly got over the line against the Dees at Carrara 6 or so weeks ago when our fans were going ballistic in the fourth quarter and it seemed like the Melbourne players were really put off by the noise. So I hope our fanbase shows up and does the same thing in this game because we're going to need every home advantage possible to get the job done. Win and we not only get the four points, but we also get the respect of the competition. Oh, and a place in the top 8 may be there for us as well if we're lucky.

Suns by 14 points.

Pies by 30. Will take care of the Suns in front of a crowd mostly following the black and white.

Anyone know what the go is with Maynard? Is he definitely going to play or will the shoulder issue potentially prevent him from lining up?

Anyone know what the go is with Maynard? Is he definitely going to play or will the shoulder issue potentially prevent him from lining up?
He was more winded than anything to his shoulder. He will certainly play.

If we're ever going to pull off a big upset this season then this feels like the game to do it. We've been pretty good at Carrara this season and the Pies' recent form looks a bit shaky/unconvincing in the last three weeks with a 4-point loss to the Dees, a bye and a 2-point win over the Crows at the MCG. Outside of Carlton last week, we've had some really good recent wins over the Bulldogs, Crows and Hawks in the last month so our boys should be up for the fight. No De Goey or Sidebottom certainly helps us and I'd also add that Collingwood's scoring appears to have taken a hit ever since De Goey's suspension when they were averaging 94.3 points prior to his suspension and now they've scored 62 and 82 points in their last two games.

We're expecting a sell out crowd for this one (or very close to it) so it's going to be a good atmosphere for the players. I just hope our fans are heavily engaged because we very nearly got over the line against the Dees at Carrara 6 or so weeks ago when our fans were going ballistic in the fourth quarter and it seemed like the Melbourne players were really put off by the noise. So I hope our fanbase shows up and does the same thing in this game because we're going to need every home advantage possible to get the job done. Win and we not only get the four points, but we also get the respect of the competition. Oh, and a place in the top 8 may be there for us as well if we're lucky.

Suns by 14 points.
Indeed. That performance in the bye week was particularly concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said he has had shoulder issues in the past, so knows when it’s serious. Said this one should be fine for him and expects to play this weekend.

Indeed. That performance in the bye week was particularly concerning.
The point was that Collingwood left it very late and couldn't get over the line against the Dees and then were fairly unconvincing coming off the bye (like everyone else) in an MCG game against an interstate team that they probably should have lost to now that we have confirmation from the AFL of the Jordan Dawson no-call. So if you believe Dawson would have kicked truly after the siren like I do (he did it last year in a Showdown) then Collingwood's last three weeks would have included two losses and a bye. Not the most convincing form going into an interstate trip to Queensland and I'm sure you remember how close this fixture was last year when we should have beaten you guys on our home deck.

He said he has had shoulder issues in the past, so knows when it’s serious. Said this one should be fine for him and expects to play this weekend.
There you go. I thought I read that his shoulder popped out so I just assumed that was serious enough for him to potentially miss but it sounds like that's not the case.

The point was that Collingwood left it very late and couldn't get over the line against the Dees and then were fairly unconvincing coming off the bye (like everyone else) in an MCG game against an interstate team that they probably should have lost to now that we have confirmation from the AFL of the Jordan Dawson no-call. So if you believe Dawson would have kicked truly after the siren like I do (he did it last year in a Showdown) then Collingwood's last three weeks would have included two losses and a bye. Not the most convincing form going into an interstate trip to Queensland and I'm sure you remember how close this fixture was last year when we should have beaten you guys on our home deck.

There you go. I thought I read that his shoulder popped out so I just assumed that was serious enough for him to potentially miss but it sounds like that's not the case.
Lots of should haves and could haves in that post.

Gold Coast may very well win on Saturday, but Collingwood could also come out and blow them off the park.

You should have beaten us last year?
Well yeah if you didn't do this and had of done that, then maybe you should have, if you did that all year, then maybe you could have or should have won the flag.

Anyway, do what you "should" on Saturday and you could beat us, stuff up and you won't, good luck

De Goey is back isn't he. I thought he copped a 4 week suspension. Huge in.
He often bobs up when a game is hanging in the balance.

Have to now sway towards a Collingwood win.

You should have beaten us last year?
Well yeah if you didn't do this and had of done that, then maybe you should have, if you did that all year, then maybe you could have or should have won the flag.

Anyway, do what you "should" on Saturday and you could beat us, stuff up and you won't, good luck
Did you go to the game at Metricon last year? I was there and I remember looking around the ground and seeing what seemed like all of our players collectively turning off offensively halfway through the final quarter. We were ahead by several goals halfway through the fourth term and then somehow only managed a single rushed behind in the last 10-15 minutes of the game but still only lost by less than a goal. I walked away from the game feeling like we should have won and all it would have taken was one straight kick in those final 10-15 minutes for us to have walked away with the W.

It was certainly a choke on our behalf and perhaps if we were a little more composed/experienced then we would have closed that game out. Here's hoping if we find ourselves in the same position on Saturday night then we'll be better prepared to close the game out this time.

Back