Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 8 - Suns v Demons Sat May 6th 4:35pm AEST (Heritage Stadium)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Demons by a goal or less

• Suns by 7 - 20

• Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week.. Adelaide get a great run… Adelaide fans after the game, “yep we did, no arguments”
This week… Melbourne somehow gets an even better run, Melbourne fans after the game, “lets all act like knobs and pretend it never happened”
if you had to personify the maxim "money can not buy class" the first thing you would look to is a melbourne supporter

Umps cheated for you guys, just admit it
Oh please, the umps were riding the Suns home for most of the game. Multiple frees right in front of goal for nothing particularly in the 3rd, Hunter paid HTB against after getting a clean handball off, May knocked down after taking a mark and no 50, multiple frees paid at stoppages only for advantage to be paid after players had stopped to see which way the free was being paid (advantage is not meant to be paid out of stoppages) etc etc

This is without mentioning the various times Suns players tried to evade a tackle and failed to correctly dispose of the footy for no decision.

You wouldn't know it listening to those nuffies Dunstall and King though who were riding the Suns home. The broadcast was showing slowmo replays of frees that weren't paid yet didn't bother showing us any replays of free kicks that were paid that directly resulted in goals 🤔

Not sure why dees fans are acting so smug literally haven't beaten anyone good this year.

And sure as hell wont be going anywhere this year with that rubbish forward line
Well we beat the Suns, something the handbaggers couldn't do 🤷

You just want players who can only impact a contest by performing a coat hanger and smashing a guy in the head?

Your views a cooked.
Wait, people actually think Van Rooyen should get weeks 🤣🤣🤣

I assume Chol will be de-registered for his swinging forearm to Bowey then, right?

Great. Demons only win because of some make believe free kick in front of goal. Good game umps 👍
You mean the two goals King kicked from make believe free kicks? Or the other one the Suns got in the 3rd from a make believe free kick?

Have we even seen what Casboult did to cause the free? They completely skipped it on the broadcast.

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA
Yep, same as the two goals gifted to King via free kicks in the 3rd. No idea what they were for and no replays to show us. Clearly a fox/umpires conspiracy to try and get the Suns home.

So are the umpires all getting a new Jaguar next week? Would seem so. Either that or a trip to the ski slopes with a brown paper bag in hand. Disgusting.
Suns got the rub of the green from the umps most of the night, sook harder

When's the last time a team won the game but didn't register a brownlow vote? Is that rare?

1. Rosas
2. Rowell
3. Anderson for me
Gawn has to be in the votes. He was huge at both ends of the ground. Although certainly didn’t beat Witt’s in the actual ruck.

Great. Demons only win because of some make believe free kick in front of goal. Good game umps 👍
For those interested there is footage of the “make believe” free on the AFL app.

A bit of push and shove that looks to have finished. Ben King trots up from a long way away, and from behind swings an arm into Petty’s ribs. Just before King whacks him, Petty points at something exposing his ribs so I’m guessing King meant to make contact with the arm, not the ribs.

Petty hits the deck.

You can’t tell if it was reasonable or not for Petty to go down. It’s a pretty instantaneous reaction and it doesn’t look like Petty would’ve been aware King was about to whack him so unlikely he was preparing to fall over and exentuate the contact.

The footage stops but you see Petty getting up to his knees quite quickly. It didn’t look like Petty lay motionless on the ground like he’d been killed. Or was writhing about to get attention.

Anyway, come from behind 100 metres off the ball and whack a guy in the ribs with four umpires. That’s a pretty stupid thing to do.

It was Levi Casboult so I'm sure he exploded and did something stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All i can remember is that 186 flogging
83 point prelim flogging with our best 4 players taking the last quarter off was better imo

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I assume Chol will be de-registered for his swinging forearm to Bowey then, right?
Fox are still sooking that Roo should get 3 weeks

As Chief said on commentary at the time anything involving contact to the head will be looked at but after looking at the replay I think it doesn't look as bad as it did at the time, the fact that he had to be stretchered off though definitely doesn't count in his favour, and even though I disagree with the approach, AFL seem to be judging the seriousness based on the resulting injury.

Each incident is separate so whatever Chol did doesnt have anything to do with it.

The vision of the Gawn goal square free kick is on the round so far.

Petty and Casboult were having a chest to chest push and shove and Ben King runs 30m to hit Petty from behind 100m off the ball. Didn’t look to be a hard hit and Petty gets straight up. Was it a high penalty for the action? Yes. Did it deserve a free kick? Yes.

Umpires missed some howlers for the suns in the last, but they had the rub of the green for the first 3 quarters.

Would have been nice to see replays of what led to Ben Kings goals from free kicks. Instead we got a compilation of Ben kings goals for the year after the first and an ad break at 3/4 time after the second.

As Chief said on commentary at the time anything involving contact to the head will be looked at but after looking at the replay I think it doesn't look as bad as it did at the time, the fact that he had to be stretchered off though definitely doesn't count in his favour, and even though I disagree with the approach, AFL seem to be judging the seriousness based on the resulting injury.

Each incident is separate so whatever Chol did doesnt have anything to do with it.
I think most of the contact from JvR is from the bicep and arm pit area, and then body.

Clumsy and reckless, but not a strike with a fist or swinging arm.

He didn't go off for concussion though, it was to look at his neck. Been cleared so I don't see the issue. The media trying to hang a kid who plays fairly with great attack on the footy/contest is laughable. Van Rooyen did exactly what every coach and supporter would want his player to do in that incident. The hand wringing by Brad Johnson and some of the posters on this thread (particularly Brisbane supporters for some reason) is hilarious.

The comparison to the Chol incident is apt, not due to the similarity of the incidents but the discrepancy in the coverage. Chol should be getting far greater heat for deliberately swinging the forearm in to a players head but I haven't heard a peep. Bowey didn't drop and get taken off but then again neither did Bailey Smith in round 1 and Pickett got weeks for the "potential" for injury.

Would have been nice to see replays of what led to Ben Kings goals from free kicks. Instead we got a compilation of Ben kings goals for the year after the first and an ad break at 3/4 time after the second.
Yep would be nice to see what caused the umpires to gift the Suns 3 goals in the 3rd to keep them in the game.

How, exactly?

Undeniable: Melbourne ****ed up draft pick after draft pick for 6-7 years, with nothing. NOTHING, pulling players away from them.

And they spent an inordinate amount of time getting pummelled.

The Suns had a lot handed to them as well.

But they have no history to draw on, no existing club structure to draw on, no lure to bring anyone to their club, and the constant stream of players who they DO nail with their picks - one of them is your own f***ing premiership fullback - wanting to go home.

How in f**k would ANYONE need to use mental gymnastics to point out how ludicrous it is for a Demons fan to criticise the Suns for screwing up their own fortune.

You are one of those very special people, good to know, now i can ignore all your posts

Back