Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Blues v Pies Fri May 3rd 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah geez, another week of angry Voss not accepting that as good enough for where they should be at, not resting on laurels etc and the media absolutely lauding him for it. 🤮

Not his fault mate, coach is imploring his players to be a contested beast footy team which when on they are the best at it and yet….still guys in the side who are adverse to contact and tackling.

I’d imagine when a couple guys come back that backline will be more settled.

Docherty and McGovern.

Collingwood too good tonight

Diacos, what a weapon.

Docherty won't be back this year will he?
There's talk McStay may be back in time for finals. Certainly no star but he would big a big body capable of taking the second best defender opposed to Mihocek being undersized against most of the other backs.

My teams just won a great game and my immediate thought is to shadow box people on bigfooty about daicos.

Who am I?

Real Estate Meme GIF by hero0fwar
I wouldn't be firing the gun too hard at posts like theirs when this whole site is people pretty much sitting on a chat forum posting comments as they watch the game. Not just watching the game and taking it all in 100%, but taking the time to look away from it and post on the internetz about some very trivial things. So there's that lol.

I'm genuinely surprised at how many older people do this, as i cop a belting from dad or other old skool friends that think it is absolute bs to be so focused on posting on my phone so much when watching a game. Can 100% see where they're coming from too.

Last edited:

You see why your chart made little to no sense for this one?

Comes down to the starts for Collingwood.
They almost got it right in the first quarter tonight. That last 5 minutes undid all their good work but it was only a two goal deficit. When they regained the ascendancy, you could just feel they had figured things out.

Carlton in the same bracket as Port Adelaide for me.
Careful. You will make him stay up on the p*** till 4am disliking comments from this whole gameday thread, trying to explain how everything is under control, and unearthing whatever lame excuses eventually send him to sleep.

My teams just won a great game and my immediate thought is to shadow box people on bigfooty about daicos.

Who am I?

Real Estate Meme GIF by hero0fwar
You’re nitpicking. Carlton posters in particular have been at the forefront of those constantly belittling Nick Daicos, and his supposed lack of courage since the commencement of the season.

I thought the poster to whom you responded was pretty reasonable and restrained in his understandable crack at Daicos’s detractors, particularly in view of how well Daicos played.

He's like Sam Mitchell with leg speed. Lacks Sam's hardness though.

He was tough as nails as a little bloke especially playing in the age of KPP sized midfielders.
There's a big gulf in attack on the ball and man but Nick will have him covered on nailing them through the big sticks. I like the comparison with evasiveness though.

So is this considered an intensely fought arm wrestle of a game as opposed to the dour negative game that was played between Freo and Carlton?

Even though they're about 4 scoring shots apart?

Docherty won't be back this year will he?
There's talk McStay may be back in time for finals. Certainly no star but he would big a big body capable of taking the second best defender opposed to Mihocek being undersized against most of the other backs.

Pies don’t reach the GF without McStay last year was a huge reason they won the prelim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is this considered an intensely fought arm wrestle of a game as opposed to the dour negative game that was played between Freo and Carlton?

Even though they're about 4 scoring shots apart?

They don’t do it every week though- St Kilda are worse. The really ridiculous thing with Freo is you have elite forwards especially in Jye Amiss who would be even better with quick ball delivery.

Replace Frampton with an AFL standard defender and I think the pies win by a couple of extra goals

He was good today McKay only kicked 4 which is at least 2-3 down on usual. He is a genuine lockdown defender but I told you that’s the output tonight most Pies fans would say thanks I’ll take that

Well done Pies.
I guess it was a close, contested game, with an exciting finish, but it was ugly and poorly umpired.
That's not to say that umpires decided the game in any way, or that any team had the run of the calls.
They just let far too much holding, scragging and contact go all game. Made for an ugly slog.

I'm of the opinion that if it's there, you call it. Free kicks open the game up more than a bobbling ball and a rolling maul.

Reckon the Blues made a couple of bad calls at selection. I know the Pies don't have much in the way of tall forwards, but I would've kept Kemp in, at the expense of either Young (I'm sure he was kept in purely to play on Cox) or Kemp (play Kemp on Mihocek when Cox is forward and Weiters on Cox). Kemp is more attacking than Young, who reads the play ahead poorly and slows down our attack when he has the ball.
Williams is good at his best, but has clearly been carrying something, was lucky to play after an injury cloud, due to injuries to others.
And I probably would have kept Ollie Hollands in over Fantasia, who has been far from good for a few weeks.

I also would have gone with Cuningham as the sub over Kennedy. Kennedy has been playing well and Cuningham hasn't played for a few weeks. His fresh legs in the 3rd would've provided more than Kennedy, who is one paced.

Anyway, can't change any of that now. Just observations more than anything.
This was always going to be our toughest stretch of the draw. 5-3 isn't panic stations. Neither is 1-2 to start this horror stretch, especially with the players that are out.

Pies lifted and did what they needed to do to get the win. We move on to next week and gradually get closer to getting our full squad back. While it's important to bank wins, this isn't the end of the season where you want to be fit and firing.

Will reassess in a few weeks.

The Maynard tackle on Owies is an example of what Whately and King were talking about early this week. The tackled player taking his head to ground to get a free. This needs to be fined out of existence.
Yeah all Maynard does is hold onto Owies. All the movement even before the ground is generated by Owies trying to shrug him off and then when he realizes he can't catapulting himself into the ground .

Yeah all Maynard does is hold onto Owies. All the movement even before the ground is generated by Owies trying to shrug him off and then when he realizes he can't catapulting himself into the ground .

I’m not sure it should have been a free against but this is not true. Maynard is quite clearly doing his best to turn Owies

Back