AFL 360.. Buckley " we weren't concerned about winning"

Remove this Banner Ad

Dane swan also said on radio after the game that he had his eye for the finals, therefore he wasn't chasing as hard or running as hard as he would usually in an important game. We played well but need to be realistic too. A good sign was magpies looked like they were going to run away with it in the third but we fought back hard.
Yep, when the Pies got a few goals in succession in the 3rd 1/4, the thought occurred to me : in 2011 or '12, the floodgates would have been set to open.

When flogs say we went backwards this year, it's worth remembering some of the canings we copped in 2010, '11 and '12. Not this year.

Next step : start to win consistently, and well, on the road.

Collingwood lol!!! went from a superstar team that should have won 3 flags to a mediocre team....all because of Buckley.... he always was a loser.... could have had 3 flags as a player has zero.... could have 3 flags as coach.... has zero... who cares about that idiot

Sure Naf.

Thats why you sat in the box after the siren, staring blankly out the window for about two minutes, trying to figure out how you are going to stop a team like the Hawks or Cats cutting through your team like a knife through hot butter after watching a team that failed to mke finals do just that.

Funny Buckley and Swan said that.

I thought our boys went easy on collingwood. We were thinking of 2014 when we were out there and how we will beat them again.

Buckley not a great culture to bring into the club. The top teams want to win everything! That's why you go far into the finals you flog!

Buckley...Swan..every piece of filth I ran into today 'we weren't trying'.

Of the past three occasions we have beaten them twice and fell just short Rd 1.

Jellyfish the lot of them.

tumblr_mdce74cane1rkmcsko1_500.gif

Sounds like spin to bluff Port into believing the Magpies are better than they are. Hope Port knock them over. Essendone already out. And Carlton should make it the triumvirate of the smug, arrogant clubs with the smug, arrogant coaches (Buckley, Hird, Malthouse) getting the boot from the finals.

Sounds like spin to bluff Port into believing the Magpies are better than they are. Hope Port knock them over. Essendone already out. And Carlton should make it the triumvirate of the smug, arrogant clubs with the smug, arrogant coaches (Buckley, Hird, Malthouse) getting the boot from the finals.

...nahhhhhh, and miss this hysterics in the Finals, come on now...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was saying all week they wanted to be tested, picked their best side of their fully fit players and after watching the replay his comments at half time was all about not wanting to concede 20 goals and how it wasn't finals type of preparation.

I think they didn't want to risk Brown so subbed him early. His reaction after the game was pretty indicative, he wasn't happy with how the game panned out.

But, what would you expect him to say? We got our pants pulled down on the eve of finals by a side finishing 10th? He will have to sell the positive message but can guarantee they wont bin the review tape, they broke down structurally in many areas that Port will test them in the same areas, they would want to address those problems for next week.

I think if the result was a few weeks back he wouldn't have tried the same level of spin, he saw us play against Geelong and Hawthorn recently, he picked his best possible side, he wanted the hitout.

Why are people getting precious over off the cuff remark on the eve of the finals.....our season is over done and dusted. Move on. Buckley knows too well they'll be struggling to have an impact this year. He's played a huge amount of kids throughout the season......he's always wanted to cultivate his own team, using a fresh bunch of players (not Mick's scraps so to speak).

It's not hard to see through all the spin, the body language said everything.

Could you imagine Geelong trotting out that excuse? lol Just wouldn't happen.

Lol. They were trying to win. They just couldn't.

If they weren't trying, we would have won by 10 goals a la St Kilda v Freo. Irrespective of Freo's outs, cos that's what happens when you don't come to play at this level. You get smashed.

They wanted a bruise free match to minimise injuries, which we were happy to accommodate cos it was a dead rubber, and they put the cue in the rack when Ziebell happened, but apart from that they played to win and so did we.

Just a loser attitude from Buckley, never won a premiership as a player and will never win as a coach.

I mean how can a list like Collingwood even finish sixth. He is doing damage to a team that should be finishing in top 4.

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

Injuries have hit them hard in both of his years as coach, to be fair.

Port have already beaten them once this year, convincingly. He needs to talk them up now. No way they were cool with how Sunday went, even if they weren't fussed about winning.

But the main thing is that North had every reason to feel flat and not be "concerned about winning" and they came out firing for each other, the club and for us. And they practiced the tempo control successfully again. All good signs for next year.

They weren't playing flat out. But they weren't not trying to win either. Probably slacked off in the last quarter once it came to a choice between working really hard to win or letting it slide. If it really didn't matter they could have rested players in the second half, starting with Reid. I expect Buckley would have been less concerned about the result than about being sliced open, conceding so many goals, and getting smacked at clearances. I said in the MB game thread tat it was crazy to hear supporters getting so fired up when the players weren't, really. Kind of graceless to say they weren't fussed after losing, although you'd have to hear the context.

Sometimes players/coaches are misquoted or yep, taken out of context for sure.

This wasn't the case here though - it was just purely they didn't care about winning, and were just happy to have no injuries.

Was certainly a graceless call, when clearly his approach to the game and signals during/after were in conflict with such a lack of care factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back