Portfolio AFL '99 - Design Project

Remove this Banner Ad

Next up is the good ol'... Collingwood Magpies!

View attachment 183581
The twist: Once again, Collingwood is one of those clubs whose guernseys you shouldn't really mess with. (Are you listening, Eddie?) So for their home guernsey, they will wear an all-white ensemble with three black stripes, with white cuffs and a collar to really set the guernsey out as white. The away is a simplified white-on-black striped guernsey with two stripes instead of three.

Home jumper needs black collar/cuffs

Home jumper needs black collar/cuffs

I intentionally went with white to give the jumper an all-white look. I am aware historically, the collar and cuffs are black but from my perspective, having white makes it prominantly light rather than 50/50. :)

Something to differentiate the collar and cuffs from the jumper would be nice on some, minimal stitching on the collar and cuffs would do?

When I complete this project, I'll definitely add some stitching to the guernsey for future use.

Heave-ho, it's... the Fremantle Dockers!

FremantleDockers.png
The twist: Imagine a world where the Fremantle Dockers didn't run around for 15 or so years wearing The Joker's idea of a football guernsey! From the inception of the club, the Dockers decided purple would be their mainstay colour. Their guernseys still feature the classic anchor design, with a two-tone design for both the home and away. The backs of the jumpers feature the anchor design also, framing the numbers.

Up next... the Geelong Cats!

GeelongCats.png
The twist: Geelong's home guernsey was never going to change. It's been this way for over 100 years and it will stay that way. Except for white cuffs and collar to emphasise the home guernsey as a "light" guernsey. The away guernsey was been designed in case of away games against Collingwood, with a dark and simple design centered around the club monogram. The logo feature a more stylized cat, rather than the cartoon cats of the past.

They're a happy team... the Hawthorn Hawks!

HawthornHawks.png
The twist: The stripes are gone! During the mid-90's, Hawthorn reverted their guernsey to the original chevron design pre-1950's. The home guernsey is a gold base with brown detailing, whilst the away is a reverse of the design.

Merging into the league... the Melbourne Lions!

MelbourneLions.png
The twist: In 1994, the Fitzroy Lions, amidst all their financial issues, found safe-haven in a merger with the also-struggling Melbourne Demons; creating the now Melbourne Lions. The home jumper is the traditional Melbourne yoke jumper with a gold border along the yoke, whilst the away jumper contains the same design however with the Fitzroy colouring. With both clubs combining resources and players, they would soon become a major player once more in the AFL.

Hailing from the south of Australia... the Port Adelaide Power!

PortAdelaidePower.png
The twist: Tradition is a good start. Screw what Collingwood want. No SBS jumpers. No crazy gradient lightning bolts. Port's jumper is, and always will be, the prison bars, and that's the jumper they have brought with them into the AFL. They did still integrate teal as their colour, hence the teal collar and cuffs, as well as the teal alternate guernsey (only to be worn in case of an away clash with a team with a primarily black guernsey... *cough*Collingwood*cough*.

(P.S.: I know that Port Adelaide fans are very protective of their prison bars, so let me know what you guys think. Is the teal detailing on the home or on the alternate guernsey too sacrilegious?)

Last edited:
Hailing from the south of Australian... the Port Adelaide Power!

View attachment 184010
The twist: Tradition is a good start. Screw what Collingwood want. No SBS jumpers. No crazy gradient lightning bolts. Port's jumper is, and always will be, the prison bars, and that's the jumper they have brought with them into the AFL. They did still integrate teal as their colour, hence the teal collar and cuffs, as well as the teal alternate guernsey (only to be worn in case of an away clash with a team with a primarily black guernsey... *cough*Collingwood*cough*.

(P.S.: I know that Port Adelaide fans are very protective of their prison bars, so let me know what you guys think. Is the teal detailing on the home or on the alternate guernsey too sacrilegious?)
inb4shitstorm. I personally like it.

Home could do without the teal but I'm sure we'd let a teal PB clash fly if we were permitted to use black and white prison bars as our home. Although, an inverse would be better.

I really feel that, only reason I kept the teal was it's one of my favourite colours and I honestly think Port looks great with the teal and it's the only place I could see fit to put it. Apart from that, the one with the white collar/cuffs that they used against Richmond is absolutely mint.

Coming up from Punt Road... the Richmond Tigers!

RichmondTigers.png
The twist: Much like Essendon, the club introduced a reverse design to wear away in the event of a clash. Apart from that, things have been kept relatively the same, apart from yellow introduced to the collar and cuffs to bring emphasis of the club's statement "we are the yellow and black".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon and Richmond inverting their jumpers wouldn't just be great clash guernseys, but simply great guernseys. Why they both haven't done it that way for years baffles me!
Chyeah

Victoria has been severely lacking in colour especially since the departue of Fitzroy.

It's the newest rivalry in the AFL... the North versus the South... the North Sydney Kangaroos and the South Sydney Swans!

NorthSydneyKangaroos.png
SouthSydneySwans.png
The twist: At the end of the 1998 season, the North Melbourne Kangaroos agreed to a deal with the AFL to move to New South Wales to give Australia's biggest city a second team: and so was born the North Sydney Kangaroos. This team encompasses everything north of the harbour- all the way from Parramatta to Manly and everything in between. They maintained the original colours of blue and white, however the AFL insisted on a new colour to distinguish the new team and make it more personalised to their new area. Their guernseys incorporated a new, modern design based off their previous away guernsey featuring the yoke/stripes/kangaroo combination, with alternate colours as their travel guernsey. The North Sydney Kangaroos will play all home games at a newly redeveloped North Sydney Oval in their very own heartland.

As such, the Sydney Swans decided to stake their territory are renamed themselves the South Sydney Swans, claiming the CBD and everything south of it as their home territory, including their home ground of the SCG. During this time, they also rebranded their home and away guernseys to represent the South Melbourne of old- transitioning back to the thick red chevron rather than a yoke.

In all of this, a new rivalry was born, and Sydney had it's second AFL team. Both teams play twice a year for the "Port Jackson Trophy", named after the harbour that separates the two territories.

Last edited:
It's the newest rivalry in the AFL... the North versus the South... the North Sydney Kangaroos and the South Sydney Swans!

View attachment 184117
View attachment 184118
The twist: At the end of the 1998 season, the North Melbourne Kangaroos agreed to a deal with the AFL to move to New South Wales to give Australia's biggest city a second team: and so was born the North Sydney Kangaroos. This team encompasses all the way west to Homebush (playing their home games at the new Olympic Stadium) and all the way east to Manly- and everything in between. They maintained the original colours of blue and white, however the AFL insisted on a new colour to distinguish the new team and make it more personalised to their new area. Their guernseys incorporated a new, modern design based off their previous away guernsey featuring the yoke/stripes/kangaroo combination, with alternate colours as their travel guernsey.

As such, the Sydney Swans decided to stake their territory are renamed themselves the South Sydney Swans, claiming the CBD and everything south of it as their home territory, including their home ground of the SCG. During this time, they also rebranded their home and away guernseys to represent the South Melbourne of old- transitioning back to the thick red chevron rather than a yoke.

In all of this, a new rivalry was born, and Sydney had it's second AFL team. Both teams play twice a year for the "Port Jackson Trophy", named after the harbour that separates the two territories.
As a Manly resident and Swans die hard I feel very dirty looking at this

View attachment 184117
View attachment 184118
The twist: At the end of the 1998 season, the North Melbourne Kangaroos agreed to a deal with the AFL to move to New South Wales to give Australia's biggest city a second team: and so was born the North Sydney Kangaroos. This team encompasses all the way west to Homebush (playing their home games at the new Olympic Stadium) and all the way east to Manly- and everything in between. They maintained the original colours of blue and white, however the AFL insisted on a new colour to distinguish the new team and make it more personalised to their new area. Their guernseys incorporated a new, modern design based off their previous away guernsey featuring the yoke/stripes/kangaroo combination, with alternate colours as their travel guernsey.

Wouldn't mind seeing orange collar and cuffs on the home and blue on the away

Marching in... the St. Kilda Saints!

StKildaSaints.png
The twist: In a twist on the classic tri-panel, St. Kilda incorporated a horizontal line under the chest patches to create a cross element for their jumpers. The home jumper maintains the classic Saints colours, whilst the away jumper contains a black cross with a red backing.

Last but not least, flying high... the West Coast Eagles!

WestCoastEagles.png
The twist: You don't make friends with gradients! You don't make friends with gradients! You get the picture. At a time when in another world, the Eagles were designing two technicolor gradient not-so-works-of-art, the Eagles have kept their wings. At home, they have a navy based jumper and away from home they wear their inaugural gold jumper. White out-lines have been removed in order to create a crisper design overall.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back