AFL Industry - Voice Against Gender-Based Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you rather find yourself alone in the woods with a bear or a man?
Most women answering the question say they would choose the bear
I wonder how many of these social media users would volunteer for an experiment...

I mean I'm no scientist but I reckon your chances of survival with a random man is slightly better than that of a random bear.

I wonder how many of these social media users would volunteer for an experiment...

I mean I'm no scientist but I reckon your chances of survival with a random man is slightly better than that of a random bear.
Unless you're a threat to the bear or its offspring, it's likely going to run off.

1- Domestic Violence I wouldn’t think is a political issue, more a nation problem.

2- Sport has been about social justice since the beginning.

The last thing people want is to be told how to behave/think/act (especially when it's common sense). People go to sporting events for escapism, not to be lectured.

The last thing people want is to be told how to behave/think/act (especially when it's common sense). People go to sporting events for escapism, not to be lectured.

AFL clubs have a role to play in setting cultural values, your club Hawthorn has a strong culture and a large women supporter base.

Unless you're a threat to the bear or its offspring, it's likely going to run off.
I just googled this, and it's really interesting stuff.

Did you know that the National Park Service (US) recommends identifying yourself to the bear, so that it knows that you're not prey? Amazing.

They also recommend not running, not attempting to feed it, and only moving sideways.

Honestly I'd be ****ed if I met a bear before today, thanks Chief!
Might have to walk back on what I said.

The last thing people want is to be told how to behave/think/act (especially when it's common sense).
Maybe reminding us all that lots of people don't see it as common sense is worth the effort.

Is a minute silence really hurting you?

Maybe its a good way to get us males thinking about our behavior and doing something about it.

The last thing people want is to be told how to behave/think/act (especially when it's common sense).
Yes god forbid we tell people not to physically abuse their loved ones.
And if you don’t do it, and it’s common sense, then it isn’t directed at you so get over it.
People go to sporting events for escapism, not to be lectured.
if you are beating a loved one then being told not to, lectured to was it?, is the least of the things I think should happen to you.

And once again sport has been about social justice since a century before we were born. Including footy, all kinds, in Australia.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with the AFL is that on one hand a guy like Wayne Carey gets made a legend into the NSW HofF (which the AFL then has to scramble to pull at the last minute) and they attempt to rehabiltate Thomas's reputation but on the other hand, in the same week they try and take a stand against DV.

Sports have a role in talking about these issues but when theres no unified position on it, organisations like the AFL come accross as tone deaf.

That is also true!
Clearly there needs to be a call of action of sorts - something that carries actual meaning and produces results. It's not going to be solved overnight.
There is no one thing that is going to change the situation. I'm dubious about this AFL initiative and whether it really means anything. But if everyone attending a game this weekend spends the minute's silence thinking about what they can do to make a small change, it's a start. For most of us - and particularly the men - the thing we (they) can do is to talk about it amongst ourselves (and importantly, themselves in the case of men).

What the actual *?

This has zero to do with DV.
Being killed by home invasion or being robbed in the street is not the same as being beaten, allot of the time to death, by someone who supposedly loves you.

Good to know families who have someone murdered during a home invasion can feel glad they werent murdered by a family member.

Much easier to get over it.

People on the internet ranking impact of ways to die in beyond ludicrous.

Sport isn't the environment for "political issues" and the AFL are not the organisation to be taking a stand with their own cloudy history. It leads to a real pot, kettle. black situati

AFL environment is perfect to spotlight this issue.
Bring it out into the open

There is not a single person with more than one brain cell that would choose a bear. It's a social media question and answer aimed at getting clicks/attention. Agree with the last paragraph though

The overwhelming majority of women choose the bear. You can ask yourself the question why they would feel that way

FFS... All men ARE privileged, particularly when you compare their lived experiences to those of women. Here's a fun little exercise for you to do... Spend some time talking about this with a female in your life. Ask them about adaptations that they make in their lives, just to be careful. Ask them if they've ever been inappropriately talked to, touched, etc. Ask them if they believe they have ever missed out on something due to a less deserving man getting it instead.

THAT is the privilege I am talking about, and no amount of statistics will ever change that.
So true. We just had round last week celebrating male privilege!

AFL environment is perfect to spotlight this issue.
Bring it out into the open

I'm just not sure that's a wise move when there are many prominent players with domestic violence issues hanging over their heads. And not just a former Kangaroo/Adelaide Crow that has been in the headlines over the last few hours....

Good to know families who have someone murdered during a home invasion can feel glad they werent murdered by a family member.

Much easier to get over it.

People on the internet ranking impact of ways to die in beyond ludicrous.
WTF?

The discussion is DV.

Not murders outside of that. But hey you get outraged because males were brought up. Ffs

I bet you go and tweet not all males 🙄

2- Sport has been about social justice since the beginning
I think that is a bit of historical revisionism there. We believe that the first sport was spear throwing which was born from the need for hunters to practice and better their skills.

Then move to the Olympics and they were there as a way to honour Zeus. Gladiatorial games have been seen as a political tool weilded by the rulers of Rome.

To say they have been a tool for social justice since the beginning is just wrong.

To be honest I don't care about a minute silence but trying to stop domestic violence is like trying to redirect a hurricane by blowing through a straw. Testosterone causes aggression and males just commit violence against everyone. We can make token gestures to honour the fallen but all actual work needs to go towards identification, protection and speed of intervention for victims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back