Opinion AFL mid season draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
What are posters thoughts on the AFL one day maybe trialling a mid season draft?

We could definitely do with one right now considering the amount of injuries that are plaguing us at the moment.

Don't see any reason they couldn't do the rookie draft mid-season.

The only reason to do a mid season draft really is to cover injuries and fill gaps. You could even go the route of short term contracts for players till the end of the season, maybe with an option to extend to a full position at the end of the year. The clubs get an extra option to cover a problem area and a player gets a chance to promote himself for a full time spot at the next main trading period either with that club or another.

On top of all that, the AFL gets one more promotional piece, perfect for a full bye round mid year.

It's win win win and I'd probably enjoy it.... and taking the best performing state based players out every year would be just another kick in the guts for the lower division comps.

The only reason to do a mid season draft really is to cover injuries and fill gaps. You could even go the route of short term contracts for players till the end of the season, maybe with an option to extend to a full position at the end of the year. The clubs get an extra option to cover a problem area and a player gets a chance to promote himself for a full time spot at the next main trading period either with that club or another.

On top of all that, the AFL gets one more promotional piece, perfect for a full bye round mid year.

It's win win win and I'd probably enjoy it.... and taking the best performing state based players out every year would be just another kick in the guts for the lower division comps.

They would have to increase the cap,wont happen

I doubt it will ever happen either but I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the list size by a spot or two somewhere down the track either for more games or just health and safety/ resting players.

Game is too technical these days.. it would take far too long for players brought in to get their heads around structures etc for it to be worthwhile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if it was a rookie draft at this time of year it would screw with the lower leagues not knowing if players are there for the season or not. Really the solution for injuries (and they have been increasing in last number of years) is to allow clubs a bigger list especially as rookies but that all comes down to money.

Even if it was a rookie draft at this time of year it would screw with the lower leagues not knowing if players are there for the season or not. Really the solution for injuries (and they have been increasing in last number of years) is to allow clubs a bigger list especially as rookies but that all comes down to money.

Really they should get rid of the rookie draft completely (it could easily be replaced with a minimum wage on the main list) and open up the list to 50 or so.

I really don't see the benefit of the rookie list with all of its separate rules and exceptions.

The only reason people are talking about this at the moment is because, like normally happens halfway through an afl season we have a bunch of injuries and people think we're running out of players. If we started off with more we would be fine.

We could fly him over, get him to watch the AFL for dummies DVD on the plane and play him in round 9.

I was thinking that it's not so much about timing for our season but theirs. If an athlete has been overlooked then waiting seven months to get a look in with the AFL leaves a big window for other options to show up first. That's all.

Essendon might need for themselves soon. Can't see it becoming permanent though. As someone else said lists should be bigger and rookie lists aren't required. A minimum amount of players under a certain age would allow rookie type players (I'm talking underdeveloped guys who could make it but need time) to stay in the afl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back