Prediction AFL needs to sell clubs to survive

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha wow. I dont even know where to begin. What an odd response.

-I know we arent 100 years old. But WA footy is.

- WC arent that interesting? I watch footy to watch good footy. Who is watching teams because they are "interesting". This isnt a science lesson.

-how did we sacrifice our players welfare to win a premiership? We arent Essendon.

-cheating using drugs? What cheating? I didnt realize a few players taking ice led to better footy? Unless they were doing it in the quarter time huddle. Lol. If anything, it would have lessened their performance.

-constant scandals? Besides Rioli being a nob last season, what other "scandal" have we had lately to be labeled constant?

-you are more "sophisticated" than us? Have you ever been to St Kilda?

-who commited suicide? This is news to me. If you are referring to Mainwaring. He died of a cocaine overdose. But nice try blaming west coast for that.

And you were doing so well until this reply. It's so full of subjective and incorrect information I'd be embarrassed to post it. I'll leave you be. You're obviously not up to it.

My point is that the TV rights is where the money comes from, you have a captured audience in WA, because it is a large state but outside of there where’s the interest? You don’t have Victorians flocking to watch you. The derby, I can’t remember the last one I watched, is that your big game of the year? You had a bit of a rivalry between Sydney and West Coast but that died out as well. My point, you are boring to watch.

I mean whatever we think about Collingwood and Essendon we still tune into watch them on Anzac Day, sponsors love it, big day, good crowd, normally a good contest, money goes to a good cause. See what I mean, you don’t bring in the big dollars as much as you think you do.

My point is that the TV rights is where the money comes from, you have a captured audience in WA, because it is a large state but outside of there where’s the interest? You don’t have Victorians flocking to watch you. The derby, I can’t remember the last one I watched, is that your big game of the year? You had a bit of a rivalry between Sydney and West Coast but that died out as well. My point, you are boring to watch.

I mean whatever we think about Collingwood and Essendon we still tune into watch them on Anzac Day, sponsors love it, big day, good crowd, normally a good contest, money goes to a good cause. See what I mean, you don’t bring in the big dollars as much as you think you do.
LOL, what absolute gold, hey...you forgot to stick 1954 below your avatar...:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
PS, Get mum or your teacher to proof read your posts before hitting enter..:rainbow:

Derby? No. Playing Richmond or the Pies would get WC fans more excited than playing Freo.

The anzac game is the biggest game in football bar the GF. You are honestly using that to make your argument?

Someone obviously missed West Coast v Richmond round 22. Game of the year by many with the best skills on show.

What's the dogs big game again? 😂

Last edited:

doing something like that would destroy the league more than the coronavirus ever could. no one wants to watch a disturbing frankenstein of their club and one they used to hate. the fact is that once this thing is over there's going to be as much demand for footy as there always was and there's no reason to start axing clubs because of one tough year. just run a skeleton operation until the league can get going again and they'll get right back to turning huge profits. maybe st. kilda won't be able to move their headquarters for at least 3 years but everything else should be fine

The club can survive, its whether they play at the highest level.
As for the League returning to huge profits are you considering paying back the huge debts run up?

Check this out for where the media are at:

As I've pointed out on many occassions, my club Subiaco was playing at the highest level in 1986 & we had necessary change forced on us for 1987. No one has a right here.

Last edited:
It would be $45 mil that would bankrupt you. WA just need another club or two, your state is big enough, get you having to work for your members instead of being an arrogant empty entity, with history that comes from being part of the VFL system which you had to buy into.

Either that or break away, and start your own competition. I don’t have a problem travelling to NSW, SA, or QLD, but it’s too far to WA, it was a mistake letting you join the competition.
You mean we should become like victoria with way too many clubs in one city ?

data cabling data cabling pixelpac pixelpac structured cabling pixelpac cel-fi pixelpac mimo pixelpac

www.pixelpac.com.au

Last edited:
On a serious note, does that AFL want fewer teams though?

Expect with TV rights and everything else, they probably want as many teams as they can keep profitable and there is no way they will let the interstate franchises fold.
All this crap aside, the AFL was tracking and aiming for about 20 teams and a play each team once scenario, with slightly shorter games. That's where I think they wanted to take the game. This whole virus scenario changes everything as now we are back to survival know.

According to reports, they bring in around $100m per annum in broadcast rights.

The broadcast rights are $2.5B over 6 years. That's just over $400M per year for the whole comp. If you're willing to believe that GWS and GC are bringing in 1/4 of the value of this revenue you will believe anything.

The broadcast rights are $2.5B over 6 years. That's just over $400M per year for the whole comp. If you're willing to believe that GWS and GC are bringing in 1/4 of the value of this revenue you will believe anything.

When 3 of the top 4 ratings markets are in the development States, it may well be the target of the AFL.

When 3 of the top 4 ratings markets are in the development States, it may well be the target of the AFL.

Ratings markets. You still have to actually obtain those ratings. What they're targeting long term doesn't change what they're achieving today.

You need to separate hypothetical potential long term increases and the reality today. The idea that the two smallest clubs in the land, in a non traditional AFL market are generating 1/4 of total TV revenue is patently ridiculous.

Edit: Also, FWIW I would confidently state that the absolute smallest Melbourne based club's contribution to this league as of today would dwarf both GWS / GC's combined contribution. The league has just got a $600M loan based off an asset that has primarily been carried by the games burden of mostly those small Melbourne clubs over the last 2 decades (and a significant number of games from Essendon - albeit at better commercial terms for them). North, St Kilda, Bulldogs in particular have played more games there than any other clubs. That loan is off the back of them wearing this burden.

Last edited:
But the Sydney Swans are easily the biggest club in Sydney and GWS is rapidly moving up the ladder.

What's your point? It doesn't change the fact that 1/4 of TV broadcast revenue is not even remotely generated by GWS & GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The return on investment isn't there for AFL clubs to be sold to private owners imo

Plus unlike soccer clubs, American teams there aren't even any big assets like stadiums that the teams own

This is a pipeline dream imo

The return on investment isn't there for AFL clubs to be sold to private owners imo

Plus unlike soccer clubs, American teams there aren't even any big assets like stadiums that the teams own

This is a pipeline dream imo

Depends how much the club is worth?

I mean if you look at a club like Carlton, there is massive untapped potential both in terms of membership and supporter growth plus corporate sponsorship on the otherside of COVID-19.

Plus Carlton is in an fortunate position where it has a long term lease over its Princes Park facilities and has a ground and venue that is well adjusted to host AFLW, VFL, Rugby Union and possibly the odd NRL match.

But given how bad Carlton's books are currently (with the pokes licences) they are likely an exception to the rule.

Possibly another example is Adelaide but they have the SANFL that suck all the money out of the coeffers

Depends how much the club is worth?

I mean if you look at a club like Carlton, there is massive untapped potential both in terms of membership and supporter growth plus corporate sponsorship on the otherside of COVID-19.

Plus Carlton is in an fortunate position where it has a long term lease over its Princes Park facilities and has a ground and venue that is well adjusted to host AFLW, VFL, Rugby Union and possibly the odd NRL match.

But given how bad Carlton's books are currently (with the pokes licences) they are likely an exception to the rule.

Possibly another example is Adelaide but they have the SANFL that suck all the money out of the coeffers
Carlton is probably one example of private ownership being possible due to the owning of Princess Park but even then it is a risky investment for a company/potential owner

The point is that I was correcting your completely erroneous statement that detracts from your other statement.

No you were telling us about how the Swans is a big club (which has zero relevance to GWS / GC) and GWS "moving up the ladder" based on some sort of vibe type thing presumably.

The return on investment isn't there for AFL clubs to be sold to private owners.

I would venture that is true of most privately owned clubs. Owning isn't exactly like investing.
Plenty of examples of owners continually dipping into their pockets.

I would also venture to say that stadiums are a liability with depreciating value rather than a great asset.
The prize in private ownership is the intellectual property.

So why did you mention it in the first place?

Because I was responding directly to another poster stating that GWS / GC bring in $100M of broadcasting revenue every year.

Because I was responding directly to another poster stating that GWS / GC bring in $100M of broadcasting revenue every year.

You maybe right but do you have evidence that they don’t?

Do you work for any of the media organisations?

Besides which I think it was more that the northern states are bringing in dollars not just the 2 newest clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You maybe right but do you have evidence that they don’t?

Do you work for any of the media organisations?

Besides which I think it was more that the northern states are bringing in dollars not just the 2 newest clubs.

Evidence? Honestly. Take a long hard think about it. It would imply that the games involving 16 other clubs - including all of the biggest, most well supported and profitable (to the league - not necessarily themselves) clubs are making up only 3/4 of the remaining rights money. It is so implausibly ridiculous that nobody in their right mind could possibly believe it.

If you told me Richmond & Collingwood together were responsible for 1/4 of all TV revenue I'd take convincing but could see the argument.

Evidence? Honestly. Take a long hard think about it. It would imply that the games involving 16 other clubs - including all of the biggest, most well supported and profitable (to the league - not necessarily themselves) clubs are making up only 3/4 of the remaining rights money. It is so implausibly ridiculous that nobody in their right mind could possibly believe it.

If you told me Richmond & Collingwood together were responsible for 1/4 of all TV revenue I'd take convincing but could see the argument.

Take a breath and reread.

I agree in principle with your general idea (and hate the Eagles) but you're an idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back