Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, 7:10PM Saturday 18 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Corey, Bartel, Kelly, SJ, Chapman, Varcoe, Duncan, Menzel, Ling, Stokes with Enright & Mackie (wing) at a pinch all capable of playing midfield . So we have more than enough Midfielders to cover Selwood for now. The only question is if the game gets tight and we need someone to put in a match winning performance then not having Selwood will hurt us.

EDIT: I see your latest post, fair enough. Probable answer is Bartel goes from sweeping half back that he's been doing to mostly in the guts-there's your 20 touches. Also more time in there for Chapman and SJ, and don't be surprised to see Duncan in there also like they did against Carlton.

Yeah I see that mate.
I just wonder what the break even point is for midfielder/ forwards/ loss of hard disposal etc.
It's just an area I have always looked at.

4 months ago we were talking about how to cover Gaz. What you list above is what we all said at the time.

How many extra % can those guys give?
What if Corey or Bartel go down early? Does the output have to quadruple?

People should not get comfortable with just swapping people willy nilly. And it looks like the match committee have.

We'll still beat them though, but the door was just opened.

With the team we've named we will be lucky to score over 60. No inclusion of another tall is baffling for mine, perhaps watch out for kosi as a late inclusion (even though the tree in my backyard is in better form).

With our team we have basically confirmed that it will be another scrap, which I suppose is best case scenario for us.

Anyway I hope it's a good game and good luck.
(christiensen should be playing, looks a gun!)

No Bundy means:

Travis, this is your chance. On form you wouldn't be in, but on seniority and readiness, you are. We got faith in you, now you have a big chance to repay it.

I hope he does turn the corner this week.

Chris Scott all but confirmed Christensen would play during the week, so this is odd. I reckon we can almost guarantee a late change! I really really hope so, as Bundy deserves it! And Scott has claimed he'll pick the side based on MERIT, therefore Varcoe is on thin ice.

As for Brown, not this week. Bring him in against the Crows next week.

I don't know why people keep saying you dont bring Brown in this week, but against Adelaide?

Play kids when they are ready. Stuff the opposition.
And stuff the cushy intro. And I dont see how any league game is cushy unless you get subbed in.

Good spot,Last desperate throw of the dice.

I'm expecting them to throw everything at us early.
Yeah it's a must-win game for the Saints. They won't go down without a fight.

I don't know why people keep saying you dont bring Brown in this week, but against Adelaide?

Play kids when they are ready. Stuff the opposition.
And stuff the cushy intro. And I dont see how any league game is cushy unless you get subbed in.
Don't see how a cold, wet night at the MCG against the most defensive team in a generation (and the team Geelong kicked six goals in total against earlier this year) could be good debut for a skinny, young full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think Milburn may be a late out, injury late in last/4, or was I imagining that noticeable limp?

Milburn out for Bundy as they did for the Pies game is possible.

It's Bundy's only way in this week, I can't see him replacing anyone else (no way they'll rest Corey or Bartel even though they've played every game, this is not the week for that).

St Kilda has named a side without any first-, second- or third-year players.

Save for Jack Steven. But your point still stands, we've dropped all the kids we have been blooding ahead of this game - it is a must win.

prediction:
Selwood out
Montagna in
Saints improving and desperate, and know how to shut us down
Sore bodies post Hawks
Due for a loss
Lists are of similar talent

Saints by 29. Hope I'm incorrect as usual, this win against Saints is the one I want most

Don't see how a cold, wet night at the MCG against the most defensive team in a generation (and the team Geelong kicked six goals in total against earlier this year) could be good debut for a skinny, young full forward.

Yes!,.......and Brown's VFL performance last week was hardly mind boggling from the reports I read.

I have confidence that Scott and the MC know exactly what they are doing, and that Brown is being given plenty of time accordingly. He is one player we can't rush given his history...patience is a gem in his case.

Brereton would have never debuted if you were the coach.

prediction:
Selwood out
Montagna in
Saints improving and desperate, and know how to shut us down
Sore bodies post Hawks
Due for a loss
Lists are of similar talent

Saints by 29. Hope I'm incorrect as usual, this win against Saints is the one I want most

I'll give you 29 1/2 points in. ( 58 point differential on your prediction) Name your poison.
St Henri? Something Italian maybe?

With the team we've named we will be lucky to score over 60. No inclusion of another tall is baffling for mine, perhaps watch out for kosi as a late inclusion (even though the tree in my backyard is in better form).

With our team we have basically confirmed that it will be another scrap, which I suppose is best case scenario for us.

Anyway I hope it's a good game and good luck.
(christiensen should be playing, looks a gun!)

+1 to everything said above.

To be honest, I didn't intend to post here (I was looking for the Geelong squad as I needed it for my response in the equivalent thread in the saints forum) but this post really hits home the message I've been stating on the saints forum.

St Kilda (unfortunately) has selected a side which will struggle to kick a score above 60. 1 tall power forward (Riewolt) the rest all under 190cm (ignore Gilbert as a forward, he will barely play there, and if he does, he is a rubbish kick for goal, so you don't have to worry about a big score from him). Scarlett, Mackie, Lonergan ect ect will all combine like last time and the time before that and the time before that ect ect to crush Riewolt. Gamble/whoever they decide to throw forward (someone on the saints board has mentioned Dawson, lord help St Kilda if he plays forward) will simply get outmuscled and thrown around by their taller, stronger Geelong defenders.

The non inclusion of 1 (or in my opinion 2) tall, strong forwards leaves Geelong at a massive advantage. But what would I know?

Save for Jack Steven. But your point still stands, we've dropped all the kids we have been blooding ahead of this game - it is a must win.

+1

The kids is what got us back into the finals race; the excitment, the boldness, the energy and refreshness they have brought has reborn an aging side...now the older players are back, and the old dour, backwards kicking gameplan will now be in place. It was great to see the kids play well against Freo, but it looks like for the time being that is gone.

Hope my post didn't anger many people, that wasn't my intention! I just wanna discuss and watch a good game of footy!!!

St Kilda:
Backs: Dempster 24, Dawson 6, Baker 10.
Half Backs: Gram 1, Fisher 25, Gwilt 33.
Centreline: Goddard 18, Armitage 20, Jones 4.
Half Forwards: Peake 30, Gilbert 19, Schneider 13.
Forwards: Milne 44, Riewoldt 12, Montagna 11.
Followers: McEvoy 5, Dal Santo 26, Steven 3.
Interchange: Clarke 8, Gamble 16, Ray 22, Blake 27.
Emergencies: Polo 34, Koschitzke 23, Ledger 37.

In: Montagna 11, Blake 27.

Out: Simpkin 31 Omitted, Ledger 37 Omitted.

I don't believe Montagna will be fit to play, which is a blow for my SC team but is good for us.

Hopefully Kosi is his replacement, we will be able to waltz the ball out of defence once it hits the ground. Glad to see Vegas in there too, we'll ensure he has no impact like round 1. Probably more likely Polo comes in for Montagna.

Blake obviously to be the backup ruckman but I still back Vardy to do well in that duel.

Gwilt to Pods probably with Fisher to sit unmanned in front of him, which we must not allow.

I'd say if Bundy is to play it won't be JC out, with the type of game this will be we will need his clearance work. Hopefully everyone is fit to go, much as I'd like to see Bundy in. We'd all like to see Jimmy play full time mid although he might play a fair bit forward still I suspect, partly to help Pods and partly because it will make it harder for Jones to tag him that way (and if Jones wants to go into defence he can exploit him in the air).

If the sub is to come from the bench it will be Varcoe again although it could come from anywhere in the 22.

I agree with exhale, as much as we'd like to see Mitch Brown debut this is not the game for his light frame. It's pretty likely IMO he'll get his run next week though.

Jason Blake 189/90

Nathan Vardy 198/94

Reckon they will play Kosi.Poor form or not.

With the leap of a Jack in the box as well, I think we will gladly take that match up!

Whats Vardy like around the ground? Blake obviously won't win many taps, albeit he has quite a good leap, yet may look to exploit Vardy in all other areas of the ground. In saying this, its his first game back after a knee injury that was supposed to keep him sidelines for 6 weeks, so maybe his rucking will be very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back