Tas: NIL.
NT: NIRS.

Ladder:
Brisbane LionsFremantleLadder.gif

Season Win/Loss
Brisbane LionsFremantleSeasonWL.gif

The Brisbane Lions Perspective:
Originally Posted by [NAME]joshhem[/NAME]

Before we delve into this, a special shout-out to any Freo supporters who live in NSW or QLD. It is next to impossible to support the Dockers while living on this side of the county without having Fox. I have tried my darndest to watch their games, but without pay TV it just doesn't happen. Even everyone’s mate Justin seems intolerant of Sunday afternoon games.
Even though the Dockers have played some of the 'blockbusters' this year, they get no exposure; the current scheduling arrangement has certainly got some issues...

Code:
[B]Last time they met:[/B]
	 		Q1 	Q2 	Q3 	Q4 	Final 	
Fremantle Dockers 	2.3 	4.4 	6.5 	7.5 	47
Brisbane Lions 		1.1 	3.3 	7.7 	9.8 	62 

[b]Brownlow votes:[/b]  3: D Rich, 2: J Brown, 1: K Bradley

Key Fremantle Players to look out for in Round 7:
Sandilands - In career best form. Sandi is averaging a lazy 37 hitouts per game which gives the Dockers first use of the ball and their midfield a first up advantage. Leuey and Clark have a tough assignment this week. We might see both Brisbane ruckmen featuring in the same stoppage around the ground quite a few times this week. This is a tactic that Vossy is keen on and I'd like to see it in action this week. The positive for Brisbane is that there were moments against Sydney last week where Clark showed glimpses of his 2009 output, a big game from Mitch will make the ruck battle a real highlight.
Pavlich - Is to Freo as Brown is to the Lions. Pav can do it against the best - against the Cats and the Saints, arguably the best defenses in the league, he kicked bags of 5. This is an important matchup for the Lions this week. No Merrett and potentially no Patfull almost means it's Goose or nothing. If the Pav gets away it could spell big trouble for the lions.
Barlow - Yes he's a first year player, but the as the Lions found last year in Rich massive input from a young gun can have a massive input into the team output. Averages 29 possessions per game (the most of any Fremantle player - and in the top 10 in the AFL) so he certainly knows how to find it. Could be worth a tag.
Other's to be weary of - Broughton, Duffield, Ballantyne, Hill

Bits and pieces
If you had to choose when to play the Dockers, you would love it to be after a bruising western derby at home. A 6 day turn-around with the longest flight in footy, should help to give the lions an advantage deeper into the contest. In the last couple of years, Fremantle have only won 25% of games the week after the derby, but one could certainly argue that the side of 2010 should not be compared with 09 and 08.

There should be some handy ins for the lions this week. Adcock to come in (although possibly for Patful depending on the status of his hammy) and you would think that Sherman will be right this week (Selwood on the fringe?). Both of these players add plenty to the structure of the side. Jed will be critical to the currently fractured defense and Shermo will add some much required run.

There were 3 or 4 Dockers who hobbled off in the last term against the Eagles, so keep an eye on the injury reports coming out of the West. Here's hoping they all come up for the sake of a great contest.

The more I think about this game, the more I believe it's set up for a very even contest. These two sides have similar game styles and in some bizarre way also have similar deficiencies. For the last couple of seasons now, Brisbane have started slowly, but warm into it as the game goes on and regularly pinch the game. Talk to any Freo fan and the slow start have them slightly on edge. The results are on the board and the Dockers have the ability to guts it out.

Verdict
For mine - Lions to run out winners in the last term. 23 points...

AFL.com.au

Matt Maguire, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with a Level Two engaging in rough conduct offence against Jude Bolton, Sydney Swans, during the first quarter of the Round Six match between the Brisbane Lions and the Sydney Swans, played at the SCG on Saturday May 1, 2010.

In summary, his five-year good record (subject to a VFL-confirmation), means that he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

The incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), medium impact (two points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Two offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has an existing five-year good record, which reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 126.56 points and a one-match sanction.

Maguire cited by the MRP for a head clash. :rolleyes:

2 weeks, 1 week with an early plea. Insanity.

We're in big trouble without him. Hope the club challenges.

I'm sure they will, reading the citation. One week without an early plea, one week with (because of his good record). Crazy not to.

Since the 1997 merge, Fremantle is the only side not to have beaten the Lions at the Gabba...hopefully the trend continues.

As for Maguire, if his penalty is not increased if challenged, then no reason not to challenge. Looks like we may have key backs possibly comprising Collier, Cornelius, Clark, although I would have thought Clark will go to Sandilands anytime he goes forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love it how Mundy slips under the guard.

There's no cleaner extractor of the footy in the AFL IMO.

His clearance work and field kicking has been top shelf.

Even though the Dockers have played some of the 'blockbusters' this year, they get no exposure; the current scheduling arrangement has certainly got some issues...

Well seeming as though most people had Fremantle finishing down the bottom of the ladder it's hardly the media/afl's fault for scheduling us to bad timeslots etc.

On to the game... With a 6 day break and the longest trip in Football with atleast 4 or 5 very sore players I think in the end Brisbane will be too strong for us. (below a quote from a poster who went to training)

Silvagni was on crutches,Mayne battled to walk laps and Balla limped around like a crippled flea,sore bodies every where at training this morning and will be a battle to field anywhere near our top 22,might just test our depth

I would expect us to stick with it for about 2 1/2 or 3 quarters but in the end Brisbane should win by about 3 or 4 goals.

freo's injurys couldnt have come at a better time for brisbane

shame it more than likely wont happen for the carlton and collingwood games though :thumbsdown:

if brisbane dont win this they are jodered well and truly

I cant understand how you can suspend a player for an accidental head clash. The MRP have no clue.

Since the 1997 merge, Fremantle is the only side not to have beaten the Lions at the Gabba...hopefully the trend continues.

As for Maguire, if his penalty is not increased if challenged, then no reason not to challenge. Looks like we may have key backs possibly comprising Collier, Cornelius, Clark, although I would have thought Clark will go to Sandilands anytime he goes forward.

It goes back beyond that. We have never won at the Gabba. In fact the closest we came was way back in 1996, the first time we played you at the Gabba. We lost by 1 point.

In some ways its been a groundbreaking season for us and we would need to continue that.

I think we match up quite well:

• Our two defensive gorillas, Mcpharlin and Taz to take your two forward line gorillas - Fev and Brown. Have to expect them to get some goals though. We've been okay at getting numbers back which will be the key to stopping Fev/Brown.
  • Midfield - both teams reasonably well matched here. Brisbane have a bit more class with Black/Power, however Sandi can help give us an edge in the middle. Mundy has been super-important for us and is a class player.
  • Our forward line may have an edge over your defence with Mcguire and Merrett out. Staker vs Pavlich - bring it on. Sandi to drift down also - leading the AFL in contested marks. Mayne/Balla and co to mop up.
Of course a lot of it depends on mental application. You guys will be switched on for sure after two losses and playing at home. We haven't traveled well in the past and despite traveling well so far this year, coming off a bruising derby, we may be a bit physically and mentally tired. Stranger things have happened this year though.

I believe good behaviour applies regardless of early plea or not, so let it ride! No chance it'll hold up on appeal!

As for the game, pretty simple, this is one we HAVE to win to keep in touch with the pack. If we can't get a win over a travelling Freo who are feeling the effects of a bruising match last week, we certainly won't get one over Geelong, leaving us 4-4 for the season - which, in my opinion, would be a massive disappointment given our stellar opening to the season.

Adcock and Sherman both fit to play on sat against Freo!:D:thumbsu:

...source SEN 10pm news..

Tremendous news! If they come in, who gets the chop?

In - Adcock, Sherman
Out - Maguire (maybe?), ???

Wouldn't honestly be sure who to drop!

The Maguire report has infuriated me. What a ridiculous decision. These guys are seriously out of touch with the game. Why does the onus fall solely on Maguire? Both men went for the ball, and both ended up on the sidelines seeing tweeting birds. I would have chalked this down to an accidental, and unfortunate, headclash between to men with eyes only for the footy. Am I being biased here? Perhaps Maguire should have staggered onto the field and offered a hand up in apology. Worked for Bolton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back