AFL's 300m Stadium Dream

Remove this Banner Ad

But it's Perth. If rather blow my ******* head off than live in that shithole

Seriously I hope it's great and I hope you love it...and I hope it's big enough to occasionally get over and remind myself why I hate the place.
What suburb do you live in, chump?

Waverley Park lasted 30 years, so to be fair Etihad is halfway through the Victorian stadium that isn't the MCG life cycle.

The Waverley Park design was terrible, the seats were so far away from the field, if you were sitting yp the back you'd need a telescope to see who had the ball.

The Waverley Park design was terrible, the seats were so far away from the field, if you were sitting yp the back you'd need a telescope to see who had the ball.

Etihad is apparently terrible, too.

Apart from the location, viewing experience, modern facilities and coverage from the elements... what have the Romans ever done for us?

Apart from the location, viewing experience, modern facilities and coverage from the elements... what have the Romans ever done for us?

I actually don't mind Docklands, it's damn easy to get too and the seats aren't too bad. Plus you can very easily go to the city afterwards for a meal or a drink.

It's actually in an ideal location

Next time don't build a carpark underneath. Build it on top, you silly gooses.
Pleasant tree lined walk ways either side of the stadium with multiple entrances to the train station/tram routes, plus access to some food/drink/entertainment venues around the stadium and there wouldn't have been a need for any car park besides spots for players/employees/disabled/corporate tickets. So the car park could've been under the stands and the oval could've drained naturally instead of sitting on a concrete floor.

Most of Etihad's faults aren't really huge problems but regrets of what could've been if it was done right.

I actually don't mind Docklands, it's damn easy to get too and the seats aren't too bad. Plus you can very easily go to the city afterwards for a meal or a drink.

It's actually in an ideal location

Most hatred directed towards Etihad is just groupthink.

The real reason most people like the MCG is because with 100,000 seats they can get something for nothing - i.e. buy a cheap ticket and get a good seat.

Most hatred directed towards Etihad is just groupthink.

The real reason most people like the MCG is because with 100,000 seats they can get something for nothing - i.e. buy a cheap ticket and get a good seat.

I do prefer the G but for more sentimental reasons, being going there all my life

Coming from a group of people from a state who won't stop complaining about their GST share

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The league hopes the Etihad overhaul will kill off a rival plan from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire to build a $1 billion new stadium near the MCG."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...d/news-story/58b7f7cd8edc60515bed660222014280

I don't get this bit. Why does Eddie's plan need to be trumped with an alternative stadium proposal? Why can't Eddie just be told to GAGF because he's dreaming? Sure he'll sulk a little, but what's he gunna do? Are people so afraid of Eddie that have to take him seriously?

I don't get this bit. Why does Eddie's plan need to be trumped with an alternative stadium proposal? Why can't Eddie just be told to GAGF because he's dreaming? Sure he'll sulk a little, but what's he gunna do? Are people so afraid of Eddie that have to take him seriously?

Putting footy aside, Etihad has been on the nose for some time because it's a large part of the problem that is the Docklands, which is probably the greatest planning cockup in Melbourne's history. The City of Melbourne hate how the Docklands has turned out, so do the developers building on the Docks, so do the businesses unfortunate enough to be down there, so do the apartment owners. It's a disaster.

There is a widespread belief that the whole area needs rebuilding and that includes the stadium. So when anybody - incl Eddie - comes up with a "plan" to get the stadium out of there, it's going to generate some interest and support.

The AFL don't want to move, they want the Docks fixed whilst retaining the stadium. So here's their idea.

Putting footy aside, Etihad has been on the nose for some time because it's a large part of the problem that is the Docklands, which is probably the greatest planning cockup in Melbourne's history. The City of Melbourne hate how the Docklands has turned out, so do the developers building on the Docks, so do the businesses unfortunate enough to be down there, so do the apartment owners. It's a disaster.

There is a widespread belief that the whole area needs rebuilding and that includes the stadium. So when anybody - incl Eddie - comes up with a "plan" to get the stadium out of there, it's going to generate some interest and support.

The AFL don't want to move, they want the Docks fixed whilst retaining the stadium. So here's their idea.

Can someone said shed some light on whats been so bad about the way its done

Coming over from Launceston it obviously looks pretty good to me

Don't the AFL realise that Etihad will never be good enough. The reason why?

IT IS NOT THE MCG!!!!

That is literally the only reason why Victorians hate it so much. Seriously come to Subiaco Oval where you sit on luxurious wood bench seats, beautiful mould decorated toilets and also the reassuring feeling that in fire emergency you are pretty much certainly going to be dead.

The immediate surrounds do need significant improvement as it is fairly barren at the moment. The proposed 300 million development would only improve it and yes provide a more pleasing link between the CBD and the Docklands.
You can't really fix that because big stadiums by their very nature are barren when there is no event on. Doesn't matter what you do stadiums they will always appear this way. One relatively cheap way to improve it would be to just get some paint colour on the buildings even the stadium itself because its just so boring, look at the new Perth stadium there will be next to no grey, white or black exterior panels. Also maybe get rid of the concrete floor and add coloured paving. Maybe some colourful sculptures as well. No need to spend 300 million though.

I don't think that 'most' Victorians hate it. It really is a great facility with everything conveniently placed. Probably its only significant Achilles Heal is its very expensive running costs. I would hate to be paying their electricity bill. They have to run infrared lights around the clock between games to promote grass growth and regeneration, not to mention the massive power consumption that goes with playing with a closed roof, which is practically every game (with few exceptions). The immediate surrounds do need significant improvement as it is fairly barren at the moment. The proposed 300 million development would only improve it and yes provide a more pleasing link between the CBD and the Docklands.

It's not the running costs that are so expensive. It's that it was paid for on debt, and that needs to be paid off before it gets handed over to the AFL, so it's the debt repayments that costs a fortune.

I do agree that a lot of the 'hatred' for the place from fans is just a reflection of them knowing their clubs don't want to be there. It's hard to 'love' a place that you think is 'ripping your club off'.

Actually prefer watching non finals games of footy at Etihad over MCG. Comfort, access to PT, decent bars within a couple of minute walk (Royal Melbourne, Savoy, Platform 28), good viewing from even the cheapest seats and you don't have to worry about Melbourne weather in winter and if your seat is undercover.

It does need some redevelopment , especially on the water side and there's not a great deal they can do on the city side with all the towers surrounding it now but to knock it down or build elsewhere would be ridiculous. The Vic government should look at building a big capacity rectangular venue to compete with Sydney & Brisbane for international events.

I'm honestly starting to swing Towards a new stadium. It's a unique situation where the AFL can make a huge amount of money by knocking down Etihad and selling the prime real estate. Then we can focus on a well designed from-scratch stadium like Perth stadium. It can serve both the game and spectators.
I'm not impressed by the Etihad plan at all.

Can't you just pay extra to sit in them?
Not 100% sure on all the seats but the Medalian club takes a fair chunk of the seats on level 2 up and not too many of their members turn up unless it's a big game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back