Game Day AFLW Fremantle v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty rushed last few minutes, needed a bit more composure.

We also made way too many mistakes in the back half.

One of the issues with the lack of time on is that it encourages teams to hold up the footy. Freo won ugly but won effectively. If the AFL want a better product they seriously need to review the AFLW rules.

It just seems like the Afl doesn't even consider how coaches might use certain rules to their advantage.

Freo played that pretty well. We got bitten big time for failing to make the dominant first quarter count on the scoreboard.

In other news though, I thought our girl played a blinder.

A golden opportunity against an under strength team to go a game and a chunk of percentage clear and they blow it. At quarter time I was worried, I knew that if they didn't come out and quickly start converting their chances they would more than likely get done.

It's really the weakness of this team, they need at least twice the scoring opportunities to at least break even on the scoreboard. It killed us last year - cost us the game against GWS, and what should have been bigger margins of victory in our wins became close calls. And of course we missed the GF by percentage. :( Last week against Adelaide in the last quarter we had 8-9 realistic shots on goal and came away with 1.4 - Adelaide got it down their end once and goaled. When you win no one seems to care but it worried the hell out of me. It's not as if we don't have the forwards to take advantage of dominance in general play, but we just find a way to make it as hard as possible. I worry that it doesn't matter how good this team is, how good they are player for player v the other seven clubs, they are the Melbourne Football Club and in the end they will just always find a way to stuff it up. :(

Hopefully Cat Phillip's injury is not too bad. She was good in the GWS game but was quiet last week and tonight, I'm wondering if her playing just the one game (think it was no more than that) for Melbourne Uni in the last VFLW season has seen her not keep up with the raise in standard from last year. I'm a big fan (look at my avatar) but coming from a non-football background she needs as many matches as she can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While it would be tempting to blame umpires, and they certainly missed a few pretty clear in the back free kicks, we certainly contributed more to the loss then them.

In all the games I've seen, we look by far the 'best' side. We play way more real footy than any other side, but I'm afraid that isn't always what wins games in this league. Too many golden chances wasted is the real reason. That and being caught on the hop in transition. Pretty similar to the guys really. Dominate large periods of the game but are unable to reflect that on the scoreboard, then down the other end it goes for a goal.

Still, did pretty well to come back from a couple of goals down a couple of times after travelling.

Still annoyed about this one.

You know, I was more upset and annoyed after this game than the round 23 loss to Collingwood. I guess that's partly the consequence of years of the men letting us down, you come to expect it. But I have greater belief in the women's team, they've yet to destroy my confidence. Yet. :think:

You know, I was more upset and annoyed after this game than the round 23 loss to Collingwood. I guess that's partly the consequence of years of the men letting us down, you come to expect it. But I have greater belief in the women's team, they've yet to destroy my confidence. Yet. :think:

Didn't take long....... :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back