Opinion AFLX - What do we think of this round robin pre-preseason experiment?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's simply a marketing ploy by the AFL to raise the profile of AFLX ........really for AFL clubs, it should be AFLX first, followed by JLT

AFL thinks the gap between completion of JLT and season will be too large for clubs to not play their best players in AFLX ........continued manipulation by the AFL of clubs & the Comp

Isn't AFLX before the JLT? Or have I misunderstood your post.

I don't mind the idea. Get a look at 10 fringe players against 10 fringe players. Outside of AFL, Crows SANFL, Women's AFL, it's the next best thing.

Yes when you look at it that way it is a good opportunity to see which of our youngsters are hungry and showing potential.

Don’t see why they need to play on a rectangle when they could quite easily section off 3-4 mini ovals on the MCG
and have every team play on the same day, 3 or 4 games at a time. Could use a round-robin format where every team plays every other team for 4 minutes.
They could call it something like the AFLX thunder-Carnival.
Could see that catching on big time in the lower grades and juniors.

Don’t see why they need to play on a rectangle when they could quite easily section off 3-4 mini ovals on the MCG
and have every team play on the same day, 3 or 4 games at a time. Could use a round-robin format where every team plays every other team for 4 minutes.
They could call it something like the AFLX thunder-Carnival.
Could see that catching on big time in the lower grades and juniors.

I think the point of the rectangles is so that it can be played in places that don't have ovals. They want it to take off in markets that don't necessarily already play football or cricket. Plus, there's sonething soulless about having such a big gap between the crowd and the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the players know nothing about rules, tactics or anything except it will be played on a soccer field with reduced numbers. This seems a very amateurish way of starting a competition. Surely the AFL don't expect the club's to commit their top end talent to such an unknown project with little to show for it except the possibility of injury.

This must be the version of our game that will be exported overseas eventually....its the only thing that makes sense.

For clubs and players AFLX is nothing more that a distraction

There really is a very limited pool of players that you would be comfortable releasing for it.

Draftees - No way at all. They need every minute available to them in their first preseason to build their fitness base.

Second year players - Same as the above, still building their tanks. The only players that you'd consider playing are one's that you're thinking are on the way out.

Third year players - Fitness base should be ok, unless they've had interrupted preseasons, like Doedee who has had 2 of 2 so far. But, those who have their engines should be knocking on the selector's door. So you don't want them near it. So, again, players that are seen to be a fair chance of being delisted are the only one's you'd be looking at.

So it comes down to no-one who is near the 22, no players that are still developing their tank, no players with any chance to push for a spot in the 22. It's almost like a kiss of death. First player that I would have selected last year would have been Thommo, but how disrespectful is that. Here's my attempt at selecting our 10;

Otten - depth, mature body, but probably a bit disrespectful to him.
Cheney - same as Otto
CEY - probably a good opportunity for him to have a gallop without a lot of the bash and crash - he might be one who would genuinely be putting up his hand
Dear - 3rd year and seems a fair way back at present
Wilson - mature body
Hunter - mature body and might like a bit of a gallop in an open game with no rucking and is behind 2 ruckmen for a seniors birth
Murphy - mature body

It gets really hard from there. We're having to look at genuine fringe players or players that we don't want to risk limiting their preseason or risk injury. I'll watch it because it's football and there'll be AFL listed players playing. But how the clubs allowed this is beyond me. 25% of the list is far too much. It should be 5-7 mandatory and then the balance made up from aligned division 2 teams.

There really is a very limited pool of players that you would be comfortable releasing for it.

Draftees - No way at all. They need every minute available to them in their first preseason to build their fitness base.

Second year players - Same as the above, still building their tanks. The only players that you'd consider playing are one's that you're thinking are on the way out.

Third year players - Fitness base should be ok, unless they've had interrupted preseasons, like Doedee who has had 2 of 2 so far. But, those who have their engines should be knocking on the selector's door. So you don't want them near it. So, again, players that are seen to be a fair chance of being delisted are the only one's you'd be looking at.

So it comes down to no-one who is near the 22, no players that are still developing their tank, no players with any chance to push for a spot in the 22. It's almost like a kiss of death. First player that I would have selected last year would have been Thommo, but how disrespectful is that. Here's my attempt at selecting our 10;

Otten - depth, mature body, but probably a bit disrespectful to him.
Cheney - same as Otto
CEY - probably a good opportunity for him to have a gallop without a lot of the bash and crash - he might be one who would genuinely be putting up his hand
Dear - 3rd year and seems a fair way back at present
Wilson - mature body
Hunter - mature body and might like a bit of a gallop in an open game with no rucking and is behind 2 ruckmen for a seniors birth
Murphy - mature body

It gets really hard from there. We're having to look at genuine fringe players or players that we don't want to risk limiting their preseason or risk injury. I'll watch it because it's football and there'll be AFL listed players playing. But how the clubs allowed this is beyond me. 25% of the list is far too much. It should be 5-7 mandatory and then the balance made up from aligned division 2 teams.

All good expect Murthy he's from the same draft group as Gallucci, the youngest player from that list if not the youngest player in the Draft that year. Born 4th December 1998 makes him 19 years 1 month old.
Has not got that mature body yet which was why he was not drafted in 2016. next to Ben Jarman one of the lightest players on the list.
However, he does have heart and will not back down.

All good expect Murthy he's from the same draft group as Gallucci, the youngest player from that list if not the youngest player in the Draft that year. Born 4th December 1998 makes him 19 years 1 month old.
Has not got that mature body yet which was why he was not drafted in 2016. next to Ben Jarman one of the lightest players on the list.
However, he does have heart and will not back down.

Oh, thought he was around the 22yo mark.

Oh, thought he was around the 22yo mark.

He Played the SANFL like an older player, No fear and has some talent.
He is going to be good value and at this time a one for one for Brown if needed, He that small defender/ midfielder type.
Just looked a bit light last year.
Actually has a bit of Liard in him.

He may Play in AFLX along with the others who will miss out on JLT games.
But one thing I hope we don't see best 25 playing AFLX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back