News Age interview with Matt Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I would watch that.

It would be ******* hilarious.. are there any cocking shows like it..

I'll get the Nid to flick some of the grub at me.. so I can launch myself at him.. play fight a bit.. but slip him a nice beauty for a laugh then have him chase me around the kitchen and s**t like that..

I want to know how many cherry tomatoes you need to make 30 litres of spag bol.
Comprehension is your friend. I said a third. Then remember how much else is in there to make 30l.

To answer your question about half doz trays in a 900mm oven, all over filled.

I have 4 cherry toms plants going nuts ATM.

I'm doing more tomoz for the freezer for my next batch of chilli con carne.

I'll get the Nid to flick some of the grub at me.. so I can launch myself at him.. play fight a bit.. but slip him a nice beauty for a laugh then have him chase me around the kitchen and s**t like that..
There's quite a lot of cocking shows that involve a bit of chasing around before launching and slipping him a nice beauty with s**t around that.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry but that is a laughable comment. Buckley was treated the same as any other assistant coach. He was given an opportunity to coach a "line" and was in the coaching box at all times.

The onus is more on Buckley to soak the information in and draw on Malthouse experience to further his coaching learning.

Head coach no.1 responsibility is to coach the senior team, not to develop other coaches. The assistant coaches need to take more of a proactive approach and want to learn.

If Buckley had no interest learning from Malthouse, a 3 time premiership coach, then that is all on Buckley.

And if Buckley coaches 10 years without a flag, then Malthouse should not be blamed for Buckley's failing. Especially when Buckley's man management skills has been brought to task by many players.

Nah, not laughable at all. Any other assistant coach is generally retained or selected by the senior coach so there's an entirely different relationship between them than having a usurper thrust upon them, particular if as I assume he was an unwelcome addition.

I don't recall ever saying that Buck's success or failure would/should/could be attributed to MM but that has absolutely zero to do with how he groomed/prepared him to take over the senior role. We can only judge on what we see and MM was extremely cold toward Bucks through that transition. That doesn't speak to Buck's keenness or otherwise to learn from MM, that speaks to MM's openness toward taking Bucks under his wing. Bucks is a very smart man and he'd glean a lot just from working with MM despite that frostiness. He's generally accepted to have orchestrated the changes to our forward structures and play leading into 2010 after all.

There's quite a lot of cocking shows that involve a bit of chasing around before launching and slipping him a nice beauty with s**t around that.
Not quite sure that’s what Gimp meant 😳

Nah, not laughable at all. Any other assistant coach is generally retained or selected by the senior coach so there's an entirely different relationship between them than having a usurper thrust upon them, particular if as I assume he was an unwelcome addition.

I don't recall ever saying that Buck's success or failure would/should/could be attributed to MM but that has absolutely zero to do with how he groomed/prepared him to take over the senior role. We can only judge on what we see and MM was extremely cold toward Bucks through that transition. That doesn't speak to Buck's keenness or otherwise to learn from MM, that speaks to MM's openness toward taking Bucks under his wing. Bucks is a very smart man and he'd glean a lot just from working with MM despite that frostiness. He's generally accepted to have orchestrated the changes to our forward structures and play leading into 2010 after all.

This is where it all becomes really unbelievable. Apparently MM iced and locked Bucks out, yet gave Bucks enough control to orchestrate the key pillar of our game plan - the forward press? That doesn't make sense. If he orchestrated that- he wasn't locked out. If he was locked out, he didn't orchestrate anything.

Giving Bucks credit for the forward press as well as claiming he was locked out by the senior coach just sounds like you're pushing a pro Bucks anti MM line without factoring in logic or reality.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

No doubt Malthouse was extremely frosty towards Buckley - it was plain to all that he didn't want him there. That's on Malthouse. Buckley was the consummate pro during that 2 year period - not a word from him. The fact that McGuire and Pert could not foresee that Malthouses' behaviour towards Buckley was inevitable says plenty about those 2 blokes.

This is where it all becomes really unbelievable. Apparently MM iced and locked Bucks out, yet gave Bucks enough control to orchestrate the key pillar of our game plan - the forward press? That doesn't make sense. If he orchestrated that- he wasn't locked out. If he was locked out, he didn't orchestrate anything.

Giving Bucks credit for the forward press as well as claiming he was locked out by the senior coach just sounds like you're pushing a pro Bucks anti MM line without factoring in logic or reality.

Shades of grey sr.

MM was frosty towards Buckley, we all saw that and it was reported at the time. That doesn't mean he was completely shut out and had zero input.

Our coaching team would have been completely dysfunctional if that was the case. The coaches don't work in a bubble, they have overseers too.

Buckley's and MM's relationship during '10 & '11 would probably best be termed "cooly professional".

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

You've nailed it mate. You can't have it both ways. I'm in the camp that Malthouse locked Buckley out and hence there is no way that Buckley could have instigated the forward press. And on the off chance that he did, then there is no way that Malthouse would implement it if only out of single bloody mindedness. So it's one or the other and those that argue to the contrary are demonstrating an emotive positive bias towards Buckley and the opposite to Malthouse.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Where has MM ever given Bucks credit for the forward press? Bucks was the forwards coach at the time and it was the general scuttlebutt at the time that it was his idea but I can't recall MM ever attributing anything to Bucks about it. That MM was smart enough to embrace that concept doesn't change anything or confirm anything about their relationship, just confirms that he was a cunning old fox.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You've nailed it mate. You can't have it both ways. I'm in the camp that Malthouse locked Buckley out and hence there is no way that Buckley could have instigated the forward press. And on the off chance that he did, then there is no way that Malthouse would implement it if only out of single bloody mindedness. So it's one or the other and those that argue to the contrary are demonstrating an emotive positive bias towards Buckley and the opposite to Malthouse.

You seem to suggest that it was 1 or the other which I doubt. And it has nothing to do with bias toward either, merely observations on the course of events.

Where has MM ever given Bucks credit for the forward press? Bucks was the forwards coach at the time and it was the general scuttlebutt at the time that it was his idea but I can't recall MM ever attributing anything to Bucks about it. That MM was smart enough to embrace that concept doesn't change anything or confirm anything about their relationship, just confirms that he was a cunning old fox.

MM never gave Bucks anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shades of grey sr.

MM was frosty towards Buckley, we all saw that and it was reported at the time. That doesn't mean he was completely shut out and had zero input.

Our coaching team would have been completely dysfunctional if that was the case. The coaches don't work in a bubble, they have overseers too.

Buckley's and MM's relationship during '10 & '11 would probably best be termed "cooly professional".

Coolly professional is great. It's how I'd describe a heap of effective working relationships. If they were coolly professional, I'd actually see it as a compliment to both of them, as it's not easy and takes a lot of strength of character to work effectively with someone that you dislike, consider a threat or who shows you disdain.

But coolly professional is very different to locking someone out. If you lock someone out, you don't listen to, let alone adopt someone else's ideas or give them control over things. The way I see it, you can't criticise MM for locking Bucks out and also praise Bucks for coming up with and implementing the forward press. The two things are mutually exclusive. They can't have both occurred. You can criticise MM for a lot of things, but if you are going to praise Bucks for the forward press, you can't also criticise MM for locking Bucks out - it's an impossibility. I've got no real idea about what occurred between the two of them or whose ideas were implemented by whom, but an unrealistic, very pro-Bucks and anti-MM version of events is being peddled.

Last edited:

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
You seem to suggest that it was 1 or the other which I doubt. And it has nothing to do with bias toward either, merely observations on the course of events.

Yes I am and sensing Malthouse to be the personality that he is, there is no way he would take on board a Buckley led initiative, no matter how good it might have been. Think it through logically. It's clear that Malthouse was filthy re the succession plan. If nothing else he wore his heart on his sleeve and there were numerous public occasions, starting with the original press conference, where it was obvious.

Of course the counter is that you could be right and another scenario is that Malthouse was the architect of the forward press and also embraced Buckley whole heartedly. What do you think?

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
no anchovies in any of these tomato sauce recipes:

scroll in this one for ingredients:

I wouldn't make a tomato based pasta sauce without adding an anchovy, but then again I don't add salt.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes I am and sensing Malthouse to be the personality that he is, there is no way he would take on board a Buckley led initiative, no matter how good it might have been. Think it through logically. It's clear that Malthouse was filthy re the succession plan. If nothing else he wore his heart on his sleeve and there were numerous public occasions, starting with the original press conference, where it was obvious.

Of course the counter is that you could be right and another scenario is that Malthouse was the architect of the forward press and also embraced Buckley whole heartedly. What do you think?

I like that you think you're the only 1 bringing logical thinking to the subject, but then you offer conclusions that seem to suggest the opposite.

MM was a shrewd coach and I doubt he'd have any qualms at all adopting the ideas of others as his own. After all, he wanted that ultimate success. A lockout such as you suggest would have destroyed the fabric of the coaching team. Much more likely that MM was less than his charming self in his dealings with Bucks, as per the public showings. The antithesis of the warm nurturing Paul Roos - Longmire/Goodwin or Worsfold - Rutten relationships we see played out in other succession plans.

I like that you think you're the only 1 bringing logical thinking to the subject, but then you offer conclusions that seem to suggest the opposite.

MM was a shrewd coach and I doubt he'd have any qualms at all adopting the ideas of others as his own. After all, he wanted that ultimate success. A lockout such as you suggest would have destroyed the fabric of the coaching team. Much more likely that MM was less than his charming self in his dealings with Bucks, as per the public showings. The antithesis of the warm nurturing Paul Roos - Longmire/Goodwin or Worsfold - Rutten relationships we see played out in other succession plans.

Yeah, but MM was a prickly tosser in his dealings with many, well before he arrived at Collingwood. This isn't about whether MM could be a prickly tosser. I'd happily agree with your version of events if it was just a matter of suggesting that MM was probably a prickly tosser towards Bucks. I agree that it's likely that he was a prickly tosser towards Bucks, but the notion that often gets thrown around is that he intentionally stalled Bucks's development as a coach through locking him out. It's quite possible that he did. I certainly wouldn't put it past him. I'm simply suggesting that if you believe that he did this, it doesn't make any sense to credit Bucks with the successful idea and implementation of our forward press.

JB007

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, but MM was a prickly tosser in his dealings with many, well before he arrived at Collingwood. This isn't about whether MM could be a prickly tosser. I'd happily agree with your version of events if it was just a matter of suggesting that MM was probably a prickly tosser towards Bucks. I agree that it's likely that he was a prickly tosser towards Bucks, but the notion that often gets thrown around is that he intentionally stalled Bucks's development as a coach through locking him out. It's quite possible that he did. I certainly wouldn't put it past him. I'm simply suggesting that if you believe that he did this, it doesn't make any sense to credit Bucks with the successful idea and implementation of our forward press.

He definitely would have “credited” Bucks if we lost in 2010.

Quote - Jason Cloke played a better GF in 2002.

Last edited:
He definitely would have “credited” Bucks is we lost in 2010.

Quote - Jason Cloke played a better GF in 2002.

That comment was appalling (Bucks had a similar doozy as well regarding Mayne)

I'm not talking about MM giving credit to Bucks. I'm talking about us giving Bucks credit. I've got no idea if Bucks deserves the credit for the press. Just saying that if he deserves that credit, MM doesn't deserve to be accused of maliciously locking Bucks out. The two ideas can't co-exist.

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

Semantics.

Locking Buckley out and or being less than his charming self to me are largely one and the same. I suspect he did it, for sure.

The bottom line is the consensus Pies supporter position is that Mick was a miserable so and so to Buckley whilst Buckley was the architect of the succession plan. So Buckley was the good guy all round and old Mick the villian. Nothing in between.

By the way do you think Buckley was the architect of the forward press and Micky boy took credit for it?

JB007

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
That comment was appalling (Bucks had a similar doozy as well regarding Mayne)

I'm not talking about MM giving credit to Bucks. I'm talking about us giving Bucks credit. I've got no idea if Bucks deserves the credit for the press. Just saying that if he deserves that credit, MM doesn't deserve to be accused of maliciously locking Bucks out. The two ideas can't co-exist.

He was a total prick in 2011 and beyond to Bucks.

I couldn’t give a stuff who invented the press.......if that stubborn egomaniac played Goldsack instead of his love child we wouldn’t have had to watch two Grand Finals in two weeks.

P.S Bucks definitely threw Mayne under the Bus back then and contrary to popular belief on here was instrumental in his recruitment.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Well I've never suggested that he locked him out, or that he "intentionally" stalled his development, just that he failed to give him the full benefit of his experience as you'd expect he'd do under the premise of the succession plan, thereby failing to fully prepare him to assume the role in 2012, especially given he walked away and denied him ongoing access to his wealth of experience.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yes there is, millions of them...

apparantly on something called por....com or derivatives there of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back