Agent13's Top 50 - 1 R.E.M.

Remove this Banner Ad

You've got me very curious as to what #1 will be. Most of the "obvious" choices are out.

I can think of two candidates that aren't in the list so far. If it's not one of them, then your choice will be a real surprise.

It's certainly not an obvious choice. I just googled best R.E.M songs and it took a while to find a list with my number one in the top twenty. That said, I do recall a fan poll a while ago that had it at number one. I guess that's just an indication of the extraordinary depth and diversity of the R.E.M. catalogue.

1. Find The River - Automatic for the People - 1992

Despite being a seemingly unique choice there was never going to be any other song at number one. Find the River isn't just my favourite R.E.M. song, it's my favourite song by any artist, ever. I honestly don't think words can describe how much I love this amazing piece of art but I'll give it my best shot.

Find the river is simply an incredibly gorgeous piece of music. It's melodies and arrangements work so perfectly that it comes across as almost effortless. The piano, organ and mellotron parts build on Buck's acoustic guitar to create an aural landscape that's still able to move me literally thousands of listens later. Michael Stipe's vocal is, I feel, one the best of his career but it's the backing harmonies of Mills and Berry that are the crowning glory. The two parts where recorded seperately resulting in vastly different performances, one understated, one filled with emotion. When paired together though they prove to be nothing short of perfection.

Stipes lyrics are something quite special too. He uses the flow of the titular river as a metaphor for life's journey and his exquisite poetry reminds us to appreciate that journey. No matter how tough life is when I listen to this song I can't help but feel uplifted. Find The River's message is one of finding hope in the face of adversity and I can't image that message has ever been conveyed more beautifully.

Hey now, little speedy head,
The read on the speed meter says
You have to go to task in the city
Where people drown and people serve
Don't be shy
Your just deserve
Is only just light years to go

Me, my thoughts are flower strewn
Ocean storm, bayberry moon
I have got to leave to find my way
Watch the road and memorize
This life that passed before my eyes
Nothing is going my way

The ocean is the river's goal,
A need to leave the water knows
We're closer now than light years to go

I have got to find the river,
Bergamot and Vetiver
Run through my head and fall away
Leave the road and memorize
Nothing is going my way

There's no one left to take the lead,
But I tell you and you can see
Pick up here and chase the ride
The river empties to the tide
Fall into the ocean

The river to the ocean goes,
A fortune for the undertow
None of this is going my way
There is nothing left to throw
Of Ginger, lemon, indigo,
Coriander stem and rows of hay
Strength and courage overrides
The privileged and weary eyes
Of river poet search naivete
All of this is coming your way

So there you have it, thanks to all those who have followed along and commented. If I've helped just one person appreciate R.E.M.'s music just a little more then I'm stoked, anything beyond that is a bonus.

No doubt someone out there is cursing that their favourite song didn't make the list so tell me, what songs make up your top ten and what song that you love should have made the list? Hell, give me the full fifty if you like but be warned it's not as easy as you'd think...

1. Find The River - Automatic for the People - 1992

Despite being a seemingly unique choice there was never going to be any other song at number one. Find the River isn't just my favourite R.E.M. song, it's my favourite song by any artist, ever. I honestly don't think words can describe how much I love this amazing piece of art but I'll give it my best shot.

Find the river is simply an incredibly gorgeous piece of music. It's melodies and arrangements work so perfectly that it comes across as almost effortless. The piano, organ and mellotron parts build on Buck's acoustic guitar to create an aural landscape that's still able to move me literally thousands of listens later. Michael Stipe's vocal is, I feel, one the best of his career but it's the backing harmonies of Mills and Berry that are the crowning glory. The two parts where recorded seperately resulting in vastly different performances, one understated, one filled with emotion. When paired together though they prove to be nothing short of perfection.

Stipes lyrics are something quite special too. He uses the flow of the titular river as a metaphor for life's journey and his exquisite poetry reminds us to appreciate that journey. No matter how tough life is when I listen to this song I can't help but feel uplifted. Find The River's message is one of finding hope in the face of adversity and I can't image that message has ever been conveyed more beautifully.

Hey now, little speedy head,
The read on the speed meter says
You have to go to task in the city
Where people drown and people serve
Don't be shy
Your just deserve
Is only just light years to go

Me, my thoughts are flower strewn
Ocean storm, bayberry moon
I have got to leave to find my way
Watch the road and memorize
Nothing is going my way

The ocean is the river's goal,
A need to leave the water knows

I have got to find the river,
Bergamot and Vetiver
Run through my head and fall away
Leave the road and memorize
Nothing is going my way

There's no one left to take the lead,
But I tell you and you can see
Fall into the ocean

The river to the ocean goes,
A fortune for the undertow
None of this is going my way
There is nothing left to throw
Of Ginger, lemon, indigo,
Coriander stem and rows of hay
Strength and courage overrides
The privileged and weary eyes
Of river poet search naivete
All of this is coming your way

Given your focus on "emotional connection" as a key criteria, I thought 'The Wrong Child' might have been your #1 choice. That would probably be close to the top of my 50-to-1 list. But I can certainly see how this one works for you.

The song was perfectly placed as the last track on AFTP. After an album full of songs tackling weighty, downbeat subjects, 'Find The River' provides some much-needed "you can get through this, and keep going no matter what" positive closure.

Interesting choice for Number 1. Not one I would have picked (So. Central Rain all the way for me), but a good choice none the less. Thanks for a great thread.

Top thread - have read with interest.

No. 1 for me is Country Feedback, with Nightswimming & So.Central Rain making up the podium.

A few other favourites that I was surprised to see miss the cut :

Top thread - have read with interest.

No. 1 for me is Country Feedback, with Nightswimming & So.Central Rain making up the podium.

A few other favourites that I was surprised to see miss the cut :

I think my initial shortlist came to around eighty and culling those thirty tracks to get down to fifty was pretty tough. Four of the five you linked were certainly in contention but didn't quite make it. Oh, well, at least I managed to get your top three in fairly close to the top.

Good list. "Country Feedback" is my favourite. Was "Let Me In" in the list? That would be a close second for mine.

Great to see that others share the Country Feedback love. Sadly, Let Me In didn't quite make it. If the list was stretched to 51 though I'd have had a tough choice between it and Low. Both songs were very unlucky to miss.

Songs I feel unlucky to miss out and feel would certainly be in my top 50

Feeling Gravitys Pull
Maps and legends
Life and how to live it
Old man Kensey (yes fables is my fave album)
Wolves, Lower
Welcome To The Occupation
Texarkana
Electrolite

But everyone's top 50 would differ, and I really enjoyed the list. Country Feedback and Perfect Circle i would also have similarly high

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back