Agent13's Top 50 - 1 R.E.M.

Remove this Banner Ad

33. Stand - Green - 1988

Stand is one of those songs that seems to polarise opinion. Some love it, some hate it but few sit in between. Personally I'm one of the former because it's a song the never fails to get my toes tapping and my head moving to the beat. It's just a catchy as hell, feelgood pop song, with an awesome key change just to top things off.

Of course, it's hard to talk about Stand without mentioning Mr Weird Al Yankovic. His parody Spam is a ripper, it's not quite at Smells like Nirvana level but it's right up there.

Last edited:
33. Stand - Green - 1988

Stand is one of those songs that seems to polarise opinion. Some love it, some hate it but few sit in between. Personally I'm one of the former because it's a song the never fails to get my toes tapping and my head moving to the beat. It's just a catchy as hell, feelgood pop song, with an awesome key change just to top things off.

Of course, it's hard to talk about Stand without mentioning Mr Weird Al Yankovic. His parody Spam is a ripper, it's not quite at Smells like Nirvana level but it's right up there.

there are few more infectious songs than this one, i love it, could be my fave pop tune from the band, very clever guitar work, rarely have guitars driven songs as well as here.

32. Bang and Blame - Monster - 1994

Monster isn't an album that I revisit very often but that's not say that it didn't have it's moments. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this song was about River Phoenix, not sure I buy it myself though. Still, pretty awesome song.

Last edited:

31. Wendell Gee - Fables of the Reconstruction - 1985

This moody, melancholic folk song was the closer to Fables and surprisingly was even released as a single in Europe. The harmonies are fantastic as is Buck's Banjo solo. The music was all Mike Mills while the lyrics were borne out of a Stipe death dream. The result is a song that possesses an almost ethereal beauty.

30. Be Mine - New Adventures in Hi-Fi - 1996

Beautiful love song or dark, creepy, obsessive song? You be the judge. Either way the music itself is great and I particularly love Mike Mills guitar work.

Last edited:
29. Near Wild Heaven - Out of Time - 1991

Welcome to lead vocals Mike Mills! This is R.E.M.'s tribute to 60's pop, a sunny, feelgood song with great backing vocals from Stipe. The upbeat music, however, belies the true meaning of the song. One of a relationship that was once perfect but despite the love still being there, it no longer feels quite right. Well, that's my take on it anyway...

Last edited:
33. Stand - Green - 1988

Not forgetting Tony Martin on the Late Show...

Seems we've digressed into parodies so here's another from Weird Al. Well, perhaps more of a tribute...

28. On the Fly - Live at the Olympia - 2009

Easily the best R.E.M. song not to appear on a studio album. This was one of the first songs written during the sessions that produced Accelerate but was left off the album as the band felt it didn't quite fit.

Last edited:
27. Cuyahoga - Lifes Rich Pageant - 1986

This song takes it's name from the Cuyahoga River in Ohio. The Cuyahoga river was very important to the American Indians but over the years following British settlement became so polluted that it actually caught fire or more than one occasion. The lyrics provide a commentary on both the treatment of Native Americans and the terrible lack of care for the environment while somehow managing not to become too preachy.

Last edited:
26. What's the Frequency Kenneth? - Monster - 1994

The highlight of Monster this is R.E.M. cranking it up to ten and going for it.

25. Radio Free Europe - Murmur - 1983

This was R.E.M.'s very first single, initially released 1981. The song was re-recorded for Murmur and was released as a single for a second time in 1983. Much like Sitting Still the lyrics here are indecipherable but, really, what else would you expect? Musically, the highlight for me is Mike Mills' killer bassline.

Also, for those intrigued, here's the original 1981 version.

Last edited:
25. Radio Free Europe - Murmur - 1983

This was R.E.M.'s very first single, initially released 1981. The song was re-recorded for Murmur and was released as a single for a second time in 1983. Much like Sitting Still the lyrics here are indecipherable but, really, what else would you expect? Musically, the highlight for me is Mike Mills' killer bassline.

Also, for those intrigued, here's the original 1981 version.

The story goes that when Peter Buck first heard the original 1981 version, he smashed his copy of the record and nailed the broken pieces to his wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The story goes that when Peter Buck first heard the original 1981 version, he smashed his copy of the record and nailed the broken pieces to his wall.

That'll make the movie.

I believe he's come to appreciate it over the years but I have to agree with him, the Murmur version is far superior.

24. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite - Automatic for the People - 1992

Calling Jamaica, Calling Jamaica... Really? I must admit I was as confounded as anyone at the time but I never got there. I do remember printing out the entire album's lyrics off this cool new thing called the internet, damn I treasured those at the time. More than twenty years later I'm still not sure what the song is about but it remains a heap of fun to listen to.

This here is the place I will be staying
There isn't a number
You can call the pay phone
Let it ring a long, long, long, long time
If I don't pick up, hang up, call back, let it ring some more
If I don't pick up, pick up
The sidewinder sleeps, sleeps, sleeps in a coil

Call me when you try to wake her up
Call me when you try to wake her

There are scratches all around the coin slot
Like a heartbeat, baby trying to wake up,
But this machine can only swallow money
You can't lay a patch by computer design
It's just a lot of stupid, stupid signs

Tell her,
Tell her she can kiss my ass,
Then laugh and say that you were only kidding
That way she'll know that it's
Really, really, really, really me

Baby, instant soup doesn't really grab me
Today I need something more sub-sub-sub-substantial
A can of beans or blackeyed peas, some Nescafe and ice,
A candy bar, a falling star, or a reading of Doctor Seuss;

The cat in the hat came back, wrecked a lot of havoc on the way,
Always had a smile and a reason to pretend
But their world has flat backgrounds
And little need to sleep but to dream
The sidewinder sleeps on his back

I can always sleep standing up

We've got to moogie, moogie, move on this one

Last edited:
23. The Flowers of Guatemala - Lifes Rich Pageant - 1986

In my opinion this is one of R.E.M.'s most underrated songs, the music is just so lush and gorgeous. As always Mike Mills nails the backing vocals while Peter Buck provides a rare guitar solo that seems to fit just perfectly. The lyrics are typically obtuse but the song is in fact about the multitude of terrible atrocities that took place in Gautemala over many years, much with the support and backing of the US government. The flowers mentioned in the song are covering the mass graves of those that lost their lives as a result.

22. Überlin - Collapse into Now - 2011

R.E.M.'s last truly great song, the story of an ordinary man looking to escape his mundane life by getting lost in the big city. The music has an hypnotic, dreamy quality that soothes the soul. It's one of those songs that compels you press repeat, again and again.

Last edited:
21. Shaking Through - Murmur - 1983

Another masterpiece from Murmur, which has to go down as one of the greatest debut albums of all time. Yellow like a geisha gown, denial all the way...

20. Begin the Begin - Lifes Rich Pageant - 1986

Surprisingly Begin the Begin was never released as a single despite clearly being a favourite of the band. It was often used as the opener at their concerts due to it's urgency and aggression and was the song of choice when the band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The song itself is about the singer's frustration with the political climate in the mid 80's and his desire to begin all over again. Sadly the message is as valid today as it was back then, if not more so.

Last edited:
19. Driver 8 - Fables of the Reconstruction - 1985

Another R.E.M. song in which the meaning is very much up to your own interpretation. Like much of Fables this song includes a lot of Southern imagery and listening to it evokes a feeling of riding the rails through the American South. Keep an ear out for the harmonica used to simulate the whistle of a steam train, it's subtle but pretty cool.

18. Ignoreland - Automatic For the People - 1992

Ignoreland is another song that I feel has been seriously underrated. As overtly political as the band ever got, it is a protest song in every sense of the word. Released shortly before the 1992 US elections this is Stipe putting the boot into the Republicans and the Reagan/Bush administrations and kicking hard. Some great lyrics and absolutely killer music make this a great song to turn up loud and sing at the top of your voice. Hell, scream at the top of your voice. I know I feel better having screamed, don't you?

These bastards stole their power from the victims of the Us v. Them years,
wrecking all things virtuous and true.
The undermining social democratic downhill slide into abysmal
lost lamb off the precipice into the trickle down runoff pool.
They hypnotised the summer, Nineteen seventy-nine.
Marched into the capital brooding duplicitous, wicked and able, media-ready,
heartless, and labeled. Super U.S. citizen, super achiever,
mega ultra power dosing. Relax.
Defense, defense, defense, defense. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ignoreland. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ignoreland.

The information nation took their clues from all the sound-bite gluttons.
Nineteen eighty, eighty-four, eighty-eight, ninety-two too, too.
How to be what you can be, jump jam junking your energies.
How to walk in dignity with throw-up on your shoes
They amplified the autumn, Nineteen seventy-nine.
Calculate the capital, up the republic my skinny ass.
T.V. tells a million lies. The paper's terrified to report
anything that isn't handed on a presidential spoon,
I'm just profoundly frustrated by all this. So, * you, man. (* 'm)

If they weren't there we would have created them. Maybe, it's true,
but I'm resentful all the same. Someone's got to take the blame.
I know that this is vitriol. No solution, spleen-venting,
But I feel better having screamed. Don't you?
They desecrated winter, Nineteen seventy-nine.
Capital collateral. Brooding duplicitous, wicked and able, media-ready,
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ignoreland. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Last edited:
18. Ignoreland - Automatic For the People - 1992

One of the most underrated songs in the R.E.M. catalogue in my opinion. As overtly political as the band ever got, this is a protest song in every sense of the word. This is Stipe putting the boot into the Republicans and the Reagan/Bush administrations and kicking hard. Some great lyrics and absolutely killer music make this a great song to turn up loud and sing at the top of your voice. Hell, scream at the top of your voice. I know I feel better having screamed, don't you?

These bastards stole their power from the victims of the Us v. Them years,
wrecking all things virtuous and true.
The undermining social democratic downhill slide into abysmal
lost lamb off the precipice into the trickle down runoff pool.
They hypnotised the summer, Nineteen seventy-nine.
Marched into the capital brooding duplicitous, wicked and able, media-ready,

The information nation took their clues from all the sound-bite gluttons.
Nineteen eighty, eighty-four, eighty-eight, ninety-two too, too.
How to be what you can be, jump jam junking your energies.
How to walk in dignity with throw-up on your shoes
They amplified the autumn, Nineteen seventy-nine.
Calculate the capital, up the republic my skinny ass.
T.V. tells a million lies. The paper's terrified to report
anything that isn't handed on a presidential spoon,
I'm just profoundly frustrated by all this. So, **** you, man. (**** 'm)

If they weren't there we would have created them. Maybe, it's true,
but I'm resentful all the same. Someone's got to take the blame.
I know that this is vitriol. No solution, spleen-venting,
But I feel better having screamed. Don't you?
They desecrated winter, Nineteen seventy-nine.
Capital collateral. Brooding duplicitous, wicked and able, media-ready,
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ignoreland. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I never liked this one much. It felt so out-of-place on 'Automatic' among all the introspective personal songs. I know they must have been keen to get this sort of hard-hitting political song out there, especially in an election year. But the song always felt to me like a jigsaw piece that didn't fit properly.

Plus, I always much preferred Stipe's political songs when they were cryptic and quirky, like 'Guatemala' as you've listed above. Or 'World Leader Pretend'. He was so good at coming at issues from strange lyrical angles, his more straightforward rants never really worked for me.

You're certainly not on your own with that opinion and I think some members of R.E.M. may even share it but it always worked for me. Hell, I'd have loved Ignoreland no matter what album it popped up on, besides breaking up the lower tempo songs with tracks like Sidewinder and Ignoreland makes sense to me. Those introspective, personal songs are truly amazing but it's nice to take a break from them at times too.

That said, it would have been interesting to hear what Ignoreland would have sounded like had it been recorded for Monster or New Adventures. I think a little bit of a heavier sound may have worked. In any case, there's another cryptic, quirky political song coming up very soon so hopefully you'll find it more to your liking.

17. Green Grow the Rushes - Fables of the Reconstruction - 1985

Has there ever been a protest song as laid-back and mellow as Green Grow the Rushes? Probably, but there certainly wouldn't be too many. It really is a beautiful track with an exquisite guitar part from Peter Buck. Lyrically the song is about the plight of immigrant workers, particularly Mexicans in the US and the way they are taken advantage of for financial gain.

16. Man-Sized Wreath - Accelerate - 2008

Two and a half minutes of pure rock'n'roll bliss. Mike Mills is at his absolute best here, he brings an awesome bassline and absolutely killer backing vocals. It's hard to believe this almost didn't make the album. Great music video too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back