All Star Game: Indigenous v Multicultural

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Looks like the All Star game is back on the agenda but this time it would likely be an Indigenous v Multicultural concept. I'd imagine the criteria to be a part of the Multicultural team would be the same as the NGAs (e.g. born overseas, a parent born overseas etc.) A Multicultural team could include players like Dustin Martin (NZ father), Touk Miller (American father) and Errol Gulden (Turkish father) as examples.

So, would it be competitive and exciting? If you're up to it, have a crack at naming your 2024 Indigenous/Multicultural teams.

I think "multicultural" teams are a bit of a archaic concept these days. Except for maybe players from Tasmania, I would guess that most players these days wouldn't be of pure British stock

Not a big fan of all star type games where no one really gives a s**t or any more than 50% care factor, including the fans, players, coaches and media.

Also the fake hype and build up of the match will be cringe, when the callers themselves know no one really cares.

"Oh yeh let's go the multiculturals woo!"
Perhaps it might mean more if you were indigenous.

The only rep/all star football that would work for me would be a state based concept. Exhibition matches in general are lame IMO.

Not really a fan of creating teams based on race. I just feel a bit uncomfortable with it.

Happy to have proper state of origin though, if you are going to have representative football.
I think "multicultural" teams are a bit of a archaic concept these days. Except for maybe players from Tasmania, I would guess that most players these days wouldn't be of pure British stock
Agree.
I think we are at a stage where we recognise the representation afl has across many cultures.

Just do a state of origin weekend

I got to Tassie yesterday. Its a bit different to what it was like 30 plus years ago. Lots of different ethnicities walking around Launceston.

Looks like the All Star game is back on the agenda but this time it would likely be an Indigenous v Multicultural concept. I'd imagine the criteria to be a part of the Multicultural team would be the same as the NGAs (e.g. born overseas, a parent born overseas etc.) A Multicultural team could include players like Dustin Martin (NZ father), Touk Miller (American father) and Errol Gulden (Turkish father) as examples.

So, would it be competitive and exciting? If you're up to it, have a crack at naming your 2024 Indigenous/Multicultural teams.
shane Yarran in the background of that pic. Such a talent RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back