Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Who would you rate the best team in terms of indigenous players to play for them.
Hard to go past Sydney with Franklin Goodes Oloughlin Kickett.

Off the top of my head….

Adelaide- Betts McLeod Johncock

Essendon- Long Wanganeen Rioli Ryder

Port Adelaide- Pickett S Burgoyne P Burgoyne Wanganeen

North Melbourne- Keakeour brothers Wells Cable Pickett

Not Sydney level at the top-end, but Melbourne has had some pretty handy ones:
  • Jeff Farmer
  • Aaron Davey
  • Byron Pickett (though we can hardly claim him)
  • Liam Jurrah
  • Jeff Garlett
  • Nev Jetta
  • Steven May
  • Kozzy Pickett

Chris Johnson, Darryl White, Des Headland, Ash McGrath were on the Lions list together in the early 2000s.

Who would you rate the best team in terms of indigenous players to play for them.
Hard to go past Sydney with Franklin Goodes Oloughlin Kickett.

Off the top of my head….

Adelaide- Betts McLeod Johncock

Essendon- Long Wanganeen Rioli Ryder

Port Adelaide- Pickett S Burgoyne P Burgoyne Wanganeen

North Melbourne- Keakeour brothers Wells Cable Pickett

You could go back to East Perths team of the late 50s (3 flags, 4 Sandover Medals) with Polly Farmer, Ted Kilmurray, Jack Hunt & Billy Roe.

Chris Johnson, Darryl White, Des Headland, Ash McGrath were on the Lions list together in the early 2000s.
I think fremantle would have had the highest percentage if I was to guess.

Abraham Chisholm Durkayy Mitchell Johnson Walters Collard Cook Pearce Headland Farmer are just some of the names.

Bateman, Buddy, Cyril, Burgoyne.
Hill also. Was a hell of a wingman in our threepeat years.

Buddy, Cyril, Burgoyne is the best 3 to ever take the field together.

South Fremantle has produced some ripping indigenous footy players

Ashley McGrath, Shannon Cox, Roger Hayden, Willie Roe, Basil Campbell, Toby McGrath, Nicky Winmar, Maurice Rioli, Peter Matera, Benny Vigona, Stevan Jackson, Dean Rioli, Jeff Farmer, Mark Williams, Phil Matera, Stephen Michael, Brad Collard, Wally Matera, Brad Hayward, Cliff Collard, Sebastian Rioli and Clem Michael.

Lots of depth in West Coast's list - Liam Ryan, David Wirrapanda, Peter Matera and Chris Lewis springs to mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how could could you forget Jetta smiling over his shoulder at Cyril as he ran away from him in 2012? No meanness in it at all just a Im to quick for you. Would have loved to have seen the Jet and Cyril play together. They would have had a ball.

Maurice Rioli snr, Michael Mitchell and Daniel Rioli have all been pretty handy at Richmond with Shai Bolton as well who could be anything.

For sure. Others listed 3 or 4 so I followed suit. Hill was a key player in our team and often misunderstood in his role.

His running and ability to create space disrupted defences making it easier for others. Certainly is cream and struggles when the team is poor, but he makes a great team better - which for an individual is actually a hard thing to do.

For sure. Others listed 3 or 4 so I followed suit. Hill was a key player in our team and often misunderstood in his role.

His running and ability to create space disrupted defences making it easier for others. Certainly is cream and struggles when the team is poor, but he makes a great team better - which for an individual is actually a hard thing to do.
I would never sit in my allocated seat on ground level(still don’t), just to watch the running and flow from up high, and was continually blown away by how much Hill and Smithy did without the ball in order to drag opposition players out of position and open space for others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back