All things Politics

Remove this Banner Ad

It is recognised that this is a fraught topic for any number of you posting here. Some of you will have family in Israel or Palestine. Some of you will have connections to either side of the conflict. What you need to understand is that this site has rules governing posting standards and the appropriate way to talk to other posters, and you will abide by them.

How this interacts with this thread is that the following will result in your post being deleted, with a recurrence of the same behaviour resulting in (depending on severity) a threadban for a week and a day off:
  • direct labelling of someone as anti-semitic or a terrorist sympathiser for posting that is merely critical of Israel's response over time. Israel has the right to defend themselves from violence, but that does not mean that Israel has carte blanche to attack disproportionately towards people under their care.
  • deliberate goading or flippant responses, designed to get people reacting to your posting emotionally.
  • abuse.
  • attempts to turn this into a Left vs Right shitfight.
  • Use the word 'Nazi' in here, you had better be able to justify it in the post you're making and the comparison had better be apt. Godwin's law is in full effect for the purposes of this thread; if you refer to Nazis, you've lost whatever argument you're involved in.
  • Any defense of Hamas' actions on the basis of justification. There's no justification for genocide, regardless of whether or not they have the power to do so.
Please recognise that this is a difficult time for all involved, and some level of sensitivity is absolutely required to permit discussion to flow. From time to time, mods will reach out to specific posters and do some welfare checks; we may even give posters who get a bit too involved some days off to give people some time to cool down. This is not a reflection on you as a poster, merely that this is an intense subject.

I get that this is a fairly intense topic about which opinion can diverge rather significantly. If you feel you cannot be respectful in your disagreement with another poster, it is frequently better to refuse to engage than it is to take up the call.

From this point, any poster who finds themselves directly insulting another poster will find themselves receiving a threadban and an infraction, with each subsequent reoccurance resulting in steadily more points added to your account.

It has also become apparent that this needs to be said: just because someone moderates this forum that does not hold them to a different standard of posting than anyone else. All of us were posters first, and we are allowed to hold opinions on this and share them on this forum.

Treat each other with the respect each of you deserve.

Maggie5 Gone Critical Anzacday Jen2310

As a younger Australian I have found this election really disheartening. There was real apathy about the result. I find it really selfish that the generation that benefitted from free tertiary education swung the election on issues so that they can continue to have more. I've only just managed to pay off my university debt and am struggling to save for a house. I live in a city whose main industry is tourism and that tourism requires a healthy great barrier reef. I think we're staring down the barrel on that one and I worry about the future of this place and what happens when its gone. I'm ashamed that folk up here played their part in swinging the result. So dumb. So short sighted.
You have to a deep dive into the dark side of politics to understand how the cards were stacked in this election
I'm not talking about conspiracy theories I'm talking about vested interests doing things so that an outcome was achieved that directly benefited themselves.

You can start with membership of the IPA, what their Charter is, Members of Parliament who are members of the IPA, Media Companies that are owned by Members of the IPA, Mining Companies who's directors are members of the IPA, who funds the IPA and which of those people then fund Politicians

Its all on the public record

You have to a deep dive into the dark side of politics to understand how the cards were stacked in this election
I'm not talking about conspiracy theories I'm talking about vested interests doing things so that an outcome was achieved that directly benefited themselves.

You can start with membership of the IPA, what their Charter is, Members of Parliament who are members of the IPA, Media Companies that are owned by Members of the IPA, Mining Companies who's directors are members of the IPA, who funds the IPA and which of those people then fund Politicians

Its all on the public record
I thought Jmac was the IPA President......

As a younger Australian I have found this election really disheartening. There was real apathy about the result. I find it really selfish that the generation that benefitted from free tertiary education swung the election on issues so that they can continue to have more. I've only just managed to pay off my university debt and am struggling to save for a house. I live in a city whose main industry is tourism and that tourism requires a healthy great barrier reef. I think we're staring down the barrel on that one and I worry about the future of this place and what happens when its gone. I'm ashamed that folk up here played their part in swinging the result. So dumb. So short sighted.
As a fellow young Australian I have to agree with you on all counts. Also hard not to feel bitter when a lot of us are staring down the barrel of a likely $80-100k+ uni debt while there is that entire generation who received tertiary education free of charge and who continue to swing election results based on short-sighted promises.

As a fellow young Australian I have to agree with you on all counts. Also hard not to feel bitter when a lot of us are staring down the barrel of a likely $80-100k+ uni debt while there is that entire generation who received tertiary education free of charge and who continue to swing election results based on short-sighted promises.

Every generation has challenges. The retirees you may be thinking of - the ones worried about franking credits. They had a little thing called conscription to worry about. HECS started for school leavers from about 88. They finished uni with debt plus trying to find a job in a recession. Don’t get too worried about an election result.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have I got this right?
The new Morrison ministry has a Youth Minister in his 60s, an "Emissions Reduction" Minister who supports building a new coal fired power station, and a Multicultural Affairs Minister who wants to deport Africans?

Have I got this right?
The new Morrison ministry has a Youth Minister in his 60s, an "Emissions Reduction" Minister who supports building a new coal fired power station, and a Multicultural Affairs Minister who wants to deport Africans?
Welcome to the past!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most Journalists openly supported the LNP during the election campaign

You reap what you sow
Not sure if Sirius.

Most journalists and the media are left wing and openly barracked for Labor.

Sky is an exception as most there are right of centre; there are exceptions but I’d say 70% are left of centre.

Not sure if Sirius.

Most journalists and the media are left wing and openly barracked for Labor.

Sky is an exception as most there are right of centre; there are exceptions but I’d say 70% are left of centre.
:eek:

newsltd.jpg

Which war crimes are being covered up?
So what your saying is that you are defending the Government for acting on an issue you know absolutely nothing about?
Time to get an education.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07...-afghans-by-australian-special-forces/8466642
Interested in your view about the covering up of unlawful murder committed by our troops. Even committed by a VC winner.
Now I understand war is war, but we as a nation have always prided ourselves about how we conduct ourself at war.
This exposes the fact that we are not far apart from our enemies.

So what your saying is that you are defending the Government for acting on an issue you know absolutely nothing about?
Time to get an education.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07...-afghans-by-australian-special-forces/8466642
Interested in your view about the covering up of unlawful murder committed by our troops. Even committed by a VC winner.
Now I understand war is war, but we as a nation have always prided ourselves about how we conduct ourself at war.
This exposes the fact that we are not far apart from our enemies.

So the potential crimes that are being investigated are being covered up? Despite them being investigated... right.

When you get shot at daily and constantly have to wonder which civilian is secretly working for ISIS I can imagine how sometimes mistakes happen. For the other cases If something is really wrong then the investigation will uncover it.

So the potential crimes that are being investigated are being covered up? Despite them being investigated... right.

When you get shot at daily and constantly have to wonder which civilian is secretly working for ISIS I can imagine how sometimes mistakes happen. For the other cases If something is really wrong then the investigation will uncover it.
Mistakes happen, yes.
But to not properly investigate them reeks of coverup.
If you read the article you would know the amount of people alarmed at what was happening. And the amount of people prepared to cover it up.
I’m sure your backed into a corner now and have to defend your position, no matter the evidence against that position.
So I’ll just leave it there.

Mistakes happen, yes.
But to not properly investigate them reeks of coverup.
If you read the article you would know the amount of people alarmed at what was happening. And the amount of people prepared to cover it up.
I’m sure your backed into a corner now and have to defend your position, no matter the evidence against that position.
So I’ll just leave it there.

Please post your evidence that it was not investigated properly. I must of missed that part.

Also, who tried to cover it up? And what did they do to try and cover it up?

Last edited:
Please post your evidence that it was not investigated properly. I must of missed that part.

Also, who tried to cover it up? And what did they do to try and cover it up?
My understanding is that the the ABC/Age investigated and reported. The Army then came out and said they would conduct an internal review.

I wonder why they didn't do it before it came out in the press?

Nothing more has been released to date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back