All-Time Most Mysterious Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Last round of 2011, Pies v Cats, 1 v 2 on the ladder with Collingwood only dropping the one game with a massive %, Pies get hammered big time.

Not a head scratcher IMO though, was a dead rubber and the Cats simply wanted it more.

West Coast v Crows in r 12 2016

We’d never had a great record in Perth and the Eagles were a very decent side finishing second in the minor round the year before.

Half way through the 3rd term and we’re 26 points down.

Kick the next 8 goals and win for a famous away victory

Still have no idea what the hell happened to the Eagles that night
That last quarter of that game was probably the worst thing I have ever seen live.

Round 22 1977 North vs South at Arden Street.

North are easily holding South by 4 goals at 3/4 time whilst over at the Western Oval the Bulldogs are leading 5th placed Carlton 6 goals.

North amazingly fall in a hole in the last quarter as South kick 6-4 to 1-1 to get up by 10 points, most of them late in the game, and snatch 5th place from Carlton to make the finals, even though Carlton flew home with 7 goals in the last quarter..

The old timers reckon money passed hands that day.

Round 9, 2011: West Coast v Western Bulldogs

At the 11 minute mark- the bulldogs kicked a goal to bring the margin to 22 points. They’d kicked two in a row and had some momentum it seemed. However the Eagles would go on to win by 123.

WC would later go on to have similar large scale victories in that 2011-2015 era- but I have never seen such a massive drop off from a team so quickly in a match.

At the 11 minute mark- the bulldogs kicked a goal to bring the margin to 22 points. They’d kicked two in a row and had some momentum it seemed. However the Eagles would go on to win by 123.

WC would later go on to have similar large scale victories in that 2011-2015 era- but I have never seen such a massive drop off from a team so quickly in a match.
Hawthorn vs Geelong last Easter Monday wasnt quite as bad but 5 minutes left in the third Hawthorn were down by 14 and had a chance to score a goal to bring the margin back to 8. Geelong end up winning by 86.

Essendon v Sydney Rd.1 2006- Reigning premiers coming up against a side widely tipped for bottom four. Essendon fly out of the blocks with a 9 goal to 2 opening term. Essendon coast to victory thereafter, with Lloyd kicking 8. We would go on to contest another grand final, while Essendon would record only a further two victories for the season.

Sydney v North Rd 18(?) 2004- At three-quarter time seems to be a regulation Swans win, leading by 40 points. North launch a huge fightback in the last quarter with a 9 goal to 2 final quarter to win by a goal. There were mitigating circumstances with one of our trainers having a heart attack at three-quarter time, but it still isn't known the extent to which the players knew about it. I'd guess they knew something had happened, but it was still a startling collapse.

GWS v Sydney in Rd.1 2014 was also weird. Buddy's first game, expected to make a run for the flag. Had accounted for GWS by three-figure margins in their embryonic years. Expected a closer game, but was almost a certain win (was probably 1.02 or something similar with bookmakers). Thunderstorms hit at quarter time, they stick around for a further two quarters and completely overrun us in the last. Birth of a footballing juggernaut, sure, but still was a result no one saw coming.

Our round 1 games have often been bizarre, often for the wrong reason. We just don't do them well.

Not quite a weird result, but in 2015, Essendon (who had no preseason due to the drug saga furore) led by 34 points at 3/4 time. We do kick 7 goals to nil in the last to win by two goals, but for a long time, it looked like being yet another embarrassing first-round loss.

The score being 64-0 at quarter time was amazing in itself.

The Eagles were the reigning premiers, at home (9-3 in Perth that year, including a 1-point loss to eventual premier Carlton), headed to another finals series, against a Crows side without their star forward (Tony Modra), star ruckman and reigning B&F (Shaun Rehn) and Captain (Tony McGuinness), who were going through the motions towards the end of a season where they eventually finished 11th (with a putrid percentage of 80.08) in a 16 team comp.

I couldnt remember who the Crows were or werent missing, but thats hardly half a side. And Eagles may have been the reigning premiers but they finished 5th so only 6 spots above Crows.

Sure a comfortable win may have been expected, but not the biggest win in our history and probably top 10 in the AFL era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldnt remember who the Crows were or werent missing, but thats hardly half a side. And Eagles may have been the reigning premiers but they finished 5th so only 6 spots above Crows.

Sure a comfortable win may have been expected, but not the biggest win in our history and probably top 10 in the AFL era.

Point is, Crows were crap and missing some key players, and you were the reigning premiers.

Adelaide were on the end of a similar result in the final round of 2004 against Brisbane.

Wasn't there some sort of a crisis meeting after that North game? We came up after North Melbourne beat them and they destroyed us 222-65. We know what happened after that.

I have been waiting for years for Richmond to destroy someone like that at AFL level but it did not happen yet. At least I followed us belting a team 219-31 in the VFL last year :D

“A crisis meeting”? Look at the 50 games before and after, it was a 180 degree turnaround in the space of a week, the likes of which I’d dare to suggest has rarely been seen before. It’s truly bizarre.

“A crisis meeting”? Look at the 50 games before and after, it was a 180 degree turnaround in the space of a week, the likes of which I’d dare to suggest has rarely been seen before. It’s truly bizarre.
Yeah it is definitely a sharp turnaround. Turned into one of the most dominant teams we have seen in recent years. I don't know, I remember hearing that they had this review or something like that after losing to North Melbourne that year.

I remember that game. Kennedy had 6 to half time and kicked his 7th shortly after the margin was cut back to 22. From that point on we kicked 16 goals to 1 and Kennedy only kicked 3 of them. 7 of the first 10 then only 3 of the last 16. Can only imagine what would've happened if we kept looking for him.

Even considering the previously mentioned "when it comes to Melbourne, throw out rational thought," what the * was going on July 30th in 2011?

We all know they came down to Geelong, 1 game out of the 8, to play against Geelong, who were starting to get into top gear. They lost by 186 points, leading to their coach being sacked.

But, earlier in the day, Melbourne's VFL affiliate Casey (who finished 4th), came up against Geelong, who only won 6 games for the year. They lost the match by 128 points. Melbourne lost 2 games that day by a combined 314 points. What did they do on Friday night?

How did Port lose that GF to the Cats by so much ?????

Have you seen the sides?

Port were (un)lucky that everyone else was so poor that year and Geelong were clearly better.

On the day it is believed that Phil Walsh convinced Chocco not to flood back and spoil the GF spectacle when it was all going **** up.

Round 22 1977 North vs South at Arden Street.

North are easily holding South by 4 goals at 3/4 time whilst over at the Western Oval the Bulldogs are leading 5th placed Carlton 6 goals.

North amazingly fall in a hole in the last quarter as South kick 6-4 to 1-1 to get up by 10 points, most of them late in the game, and snatch 5th place from Carlton to make the finals, even though Carlton flew home with 7 goals in the last quarter..

The old timers reckon money passed hands that day.

That was a day from my childhood that I remember because Carlton occupied one of the top 5 spots from rounds 1-21 and then dropped out of the top 5 for the first time after that final round loss at Footscray. South made the finals and finished ahead of Carlton by half a game. The blues 3 point loss to Richmond at the G in round 21 proved to be costly.

Also that season reigning premiers Hawthorn unexpectedly put in a shocker in the preliminary final against North, losing by about 12 goals and kicking only 5 goals on a dry surface. Peter Hudson had returned to Hawthorn that season, kicked a ton and the Hawks were expected to at least make the grand final.

Last edited:
Even considering the previously mentioned "when it comes to Melbourne, throw out rational thought," what the **** was going on July 30th in 2011?

We all know they came down to Geelong, 1 game out of the 8, to play against Geelong, who were starting to get into top gear. They lost by 186 points, leading to their coach being sacked.

But, earlier in the day, Melbourne's VFL affiliate Casey (who finished 4th), came up against Geelong, who only won 6 games for the year. They lost the match by 128 points. Melbourne lost 2 games that day by a combined 314 points. What did they do on Friday night?
I remember there being rumours of a brent moloney led player's revolt.

I was genuinely shocked when Melbourne coudn't muster any effort to beat Collingwood when finals were on the line last year. In every situation like that I can remember the team with finals on the line came out spitting fire.
Collingwood were in a good run of form to their credit, better than ours. We were limping to the end of 2017, I wasn't too surprised.

West Coast v Crows in r 12 2016

We’d never had a great record in Perth and the Eagles were a very decent side finishing second in the minor round the year before.

Half way through the 3rd term and we’re 26 points down.

Kick the next 8 goals and win for a famous away victory

Still have no idea what the hell happened to the Eagles that night

We went away with my wife's family that weekend and were all staying in our own cabins, so we all did our own thing at night.

I asked my Crows supporter father-in-law the next morning what he thought of the game? He said he changed the channel halfway through the third quarter because he'd seen enough! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back