List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a hypothetical, if Kelly had have ended up in the draft and had no qualms about where he played, at what pick would he have been taken?

1 or 2.

I'd flip Duggan in a heartbeat if I could get a 2nd

Image result for get out gif

Not overly happy with the extra second rounder thrown in, but if looking for positives.

1. We have drafted very young, promising, key position players who will continue to develop. These players take longer to develop than kids.

2. Our midfield is now stacked with limited opportunity for young mids to come through.

3. We have a few young kids who will be ok as depth in the midfield.

3. Probably not picking up gun mids who could break into our midfield at the picks we gave up.

4. Will have time to load up on mids in future drafts and they’ll have time to develop while still being understudies to current gun mids.

Why? Edwards isnt ready and Watson is plus has to be upgraded.
Edwards is really the only key position back coming through and I'm not sold on Watson. He's a bit of an enigma as sometimes he looks good and other times looks very risky when he gets the ball. I'd be happy if he does make it, I just have a lot of doubt given he's been around for a while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edwards is really the only key position back coming through and I'm not sold on Watson. He's a bit of an enigma as sometimes he looks good and other times looks very risky when he gets the ball. I'd be happy if he does make it, I just have a lot of doubt given he's been around for a while

We can leave Edwards on the rookie list for another year or two, not pressing need to elevate him just yet

We got draft picks back though? So we aren't going to be 3 players short

Look your right, I’m sure we will have 40 players on our senior list in 2032 or whatever the cap is then, so we won’t be “players short”.

This doesn’t change the fact we have missed out on 4 specific players that could have been on our list then but now can’t be.

There’s a very good chance at least one of 14, 2020 first, 24 and 33 will be playing in 12 years time, and therefore could have contributing to a future premiership wce premiership. Kelly’s chance meanwhile is 0.

We better hope that 6 years of kelly is worth more than 48 years of the four drafted at those picks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not my decision, but to be honest, no. You can’t rob Peter to pay Paul. Will say I am glad we were not in the position your mob found yourselves in. Either way you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
BTW, Tom Lunch never won us a premiership either. Tigers won as a tight unit. Contributed for sure but no match winner on the day.

I reckon without him you don’t make top 4. He was integral to getting you over the line when Riewoldt and others were out during the season. You miss top 4, and you don’t have lynch in finals and I reckon you don’t win it.

They CAN potentially be important but flags aren't won with potential. Yes, all of those picks we gave up could be the next McGovern but that's not helping us in 2020 isn't it?

And why is 2020 so important? Is it more important that 2030?? Does a premiership count more in 2020? The point is we have enhanced our chances in a window now, and have likely closed one or two in the future as a result.

Sustained success is what it’s all about.

Ok Kranky I said one not both and it was a wild speculation. I am not particularly happy our first pick is 52 at present. I was wracking my brain trying to get a upgrade if we put up Duggan and Petch we would be wanting first round picks or early 2nds at worst. Ideally we do it with picks.
We shouldnt be considering it

If he was open to go anywhere and nominated the draft Kelly would have got picked at 3 if Melbourne could have met his terms of course.

GC would have banked on the having 2 young stars who are best mates coming through as a bigger positive to them.

Don’t know about everyone else but I can’t wait to see Yeo one out in the goal square with Kelly, Shuey etc running through the middle.. even more so if it’s against Richmond and Dusty is in the opposite square. Only thing missing is Willie 😢 a centre square of NN, Shuey, Kelly and Willie feeding to Yeo would have been delicious.

Trade that would have kept (most) supporters happy that we didn’t pay overs :

Pick 14
Pick 33
2020 First

Completed trade that has (some) supporters melting :

Pick 14
Pick 24
Pick 33 >>>> Pick 52
2020 First >>>> 2020 Third (Geelong)

Total difference is that we’ve downgraded pick 24 to pick 52 in return for a future 3rd from Geelong

Do we walk away from a deal because we didn’t want to swap 24 for two third round picks? Hold out for longer and risk losing a frustrated Kelly because he wants some certainty over his future and decides to stay in Geelong or agree to a move to Fremantle?

Or do we cough up the points equivalent of a pick around 40 and get this deal done so that Kelly has the peace of mind that he gets to where he desperately wants to be. And who’s to say we get a better deal by holding out, maybe it was Geelong who conceded ground because getting this trade out of the way enabled them to work on other deals with a whole week left

Incrementally the completed trade isn’t that far over what I had hoped for. Sure it’s overs but not enough to get upset about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back