List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was more insinuating that I’m against drafting delisted players from other clubs, not that we should have more :moustache:

Ohhhhh.

I think it depends on the player. Robertson’s been squeezed out of a top four side this year, he would be good midfield depth. Plus he would add some mongrel which we don’t have a huge amount of.

He kicked 4 goals that game yet averaged half a goal a game for the season. The majority of his games were under 20 disposals too so I dont think he has been that great. He just isn't doing enough on a consisent basis to be selected. The odd hanger isn't going to cut it. Handy depth but thats about it.

Actually, no, the majority of his game were above 20. He only went below that amount in 6 games out of 16 - over he whole season, he averaged 21 disposals per game, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Anyway, I reckon he excels more at AFL level.

For 2020, I think Ah Chee should be played instead of Petrucelle, with Cameron taking Rioli's spot. We need to stop teams easily rebounding out of our D50, and Petch exacerbates that problem somewhat with his lack of tackling/game sense. In 2018, while being thrown around but mainly playing on the HFF, Ah Chee averaged 3.1 tackles and 13.6 disposals per game in 8 matches; by comparison, Petch averaged 10.2 and 1.9 tackles. It might not be massive, but Ah Chee got more of the ball and tackled better when played in Petch's position.

Add in Ah Chee's contested marking, and I think he should be first choice on the HFF. We seem to only be playing Petch ahead of others purely due to his speed and youth, but this hasn't translated effectively into an advantage.

If Melb bid pick 8, that's 1551 points.
20% discount means Freo have to match with 1241 points.
Pick 10 is 1395 points, so they have a surplus of 154 points (around pick 60).

Has the points table at the bottom of the page.

Actually, in that situation Fremantle would go into surplus and carry those points forward to offset any deficit incurred in future drafts.

where a player is bid for at pick 18 or earlier and the Club’s next available selection is worth more points than the value that must be paid to acquire the player. In this case, the surplus points are not converted to a selection in the current National Draft, but are retained and used to offset any deficit arising at the conclusion of this National Draft or future National Drafts

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ve-trade-updates.1206928/page-8#post-63203880

This was discussed on the Drafts board when it was revealed that GWS were able to use a surplus picked up in 2015 for selecting Hopper to offset some of the deficit brought into this year from selecting Briggs in 2018.

Gold Coast are also currently carrying a surplus of 220 points from using pick 11 to match for Bowes at 10 in 2016.

Furthermore, the points surplus is converted upwards to the next pick (i.e. 154 points lies between the value of picks 59 and 60, it would be converted to the exact points figure of pick 59).

Thus in this situation Fremantle would end up with a surplus of 158 points to be carried forward rather than gain a lower pick at 60.

He got 4 goals and 25 disposals in the last WAFL game (or one of the last), and we still wouldn't bring him. He's been pretty good at WAFL level with some massive highlights. I remember last year, we kept dropping him when he didn't really deserve it.

IMO he's the sort of player who would excel better at AFL level than in a state league.

Agree - I would like to see him rotated through half-forward, and on ball with TK, in Rioli's place. It would stiffen up the side and add greater ground pressure.

I think Martin wants $ 700 K a year
Which we couldn’t afford..

GC's need to retain players does give some a bigger pay packet than their performance on the field dictates. Martin is currently in that elite group of over-paid, under-performing players. Got the tools but for some reason it aint all working properly yet, coaching? development? team mates? attitude? environment? and so on

Or just him?

Actually, in that situation Fremantle would go into surplus and carry those points forward to offset any deficit incurred in future drafts.

where a player is bid for at pick 18 or earlier and the Club’s next available selection is worth more points than the value that must be paid to acquire the player. In this case, the surplus points are not converted to a selection in the current National Draft, but are retained and used to offset any deficit arising at the conclusion of this National Draft or future National Drafts

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ve-trade-updates.1206928/page-8#post-63203880

This was discussed on the Drafts board when it was revealed that GWS were able to use a surplus picked up in 2015 for selecting Hopper to offset some of the deficit brought into this year from selecting Briggs in 2018.

Gold Coast are also currently carrying a surplus of 220 points from using pick 11 to match for Bowes at 10 in 2016.

Furthermore, the points surplus is converted upwards to the next pick (i.e. 154 points lies between the value of picks 59 and 60, it would be converted to the exact points figure of pick 59).

Thus in this situation Fremantle would end up with a surplus of 158 points to be carried forward rather than gain a lower pick at 60.

Unecessary complication, but ok AFL :drunk:

Is
He got 4 goals and 25 disposals in the last WAFL game (or one of the last), and we still wouldn't bring him. He's been pretty good at WAFL level with some massive highlights. I remember last year, we kept dropping him when he didn't really deserve it.

IMO he's the sort of player who would excel better at AFL level than in a state league.
is it tho?

He basically finished runner up in the Margery medal few years ago.

His issue is that he’s being seen as a utility than as a mid. Even if he plays midfield in the two’s he’s spending time up forward and he knows his only role in the seniors is upforward.

He’ll genuinely kill it if he played in the middle every week.

Not opposed to rookie listing Nick Robertson as depth. He would also obviously be amenable to coming back home you'd think.
Have you seen him play. He is close to the worst kick I've seen from an AFL footballer who has been in the game for a while. Can't fault his endeavour but just a disaster with the ball in hand

Actually, no, the majority of his game were above 20. He only went below that amount in 6 games out of 16 - over he whole season, he averaged 21 disposals per game, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Anyway, I reckon he excels more at AFL level.

For 2020, I think Ah Chee should be played instead of Petrucelle, with Cameron taking Rioli's spot. We need to stop teams easily rebounding out of our D50, and Petch exacerbates that problem somewhat with his lack of tackling/game sense. In 2018, while being thrown around but mainly playing on the HFF, Ah Chee averaged 3.1 tackles and 13.6 disposals per game in 8 matches; by comparison, Petch averaged 10.2 and 1.9 tackles. It might not be massive, but Ah Chee got more of the ball and tackled better when played in Petch's position.

Add in Ah Chee's contested marking, and I think he should be first choice on the HFF. We seem to only be playing Petch ahead of others purely due to his speed and youth, but this hasn't translated effectively into an advantage.
I think we will really start to see the payoff next year when it comes to Petch. I think he has several levels to go up and will be a step above Ah Chee in the years to come. So i think in that respect we’ve had one eye to the future playing him (and Cameron, for that matter) over Ah Chee because I think we have evaluated his capabilities as an overall package.

I’ve said it before, Ah Chee is as much a victim of timing than anything else. I suspect had he come to the club in 2014/15 I think he would be entrenched in our best 22 and guys like Petch/Cameron/DV are behind waiting for their oppurtunities in that role.

FWIW Petch isn’t bad above his head either. I think as his fitness improves he will get quicker and find himself able to get to more contests.

With Willie out of the side, Ah Chee finds himself right amongst it against guys like DV, Cameron & Petch for that spot. If he’s the best performer this preseason the spot should be his.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will really start to see the payoff next year when it comes to Petch. I think he has several levels to go up and will be a step above Ah Chee in the years to come. So i think in that respect we’ve had one eye to the future playing him (and Cameron, for that matter) over Ah Chee because I think we have evaluated his capabilities as an overall package.

I’ve said it before, Ah Chee is as much a victim of timing than anything else. I suspect had he come to the club in 2014/15 I think he would be entrenched in our best 22 and guys like Petch/Cameron/DV are behind waiting for their oppurtunities in that role.

FWIW Petch isn’t bad above his head either. I think as his fitness improves he will get quicker and find himself able to get to more contests.

With Willie out of the side, Ah Chee finds himself right amongst it against guys like DV, Cameron & Petch for that spot. If he’s the best performer this preseason the spot should be his.

Petch was one of the high points for the season for me. Still has a massively high ceiling he could reach if his mind catches up with his legs and he builds a bit of a tank.

As you said he can be surprisingly good over head, which I think maybe due to his basketball background 🤪

At the start of 2018, Ah Chee was probably going to play round 1 and Masten was on his way out. Ah chee injured himself in the preseason and Masten played round 1. Then we start winning and Masten kept playing reasonable footy. You campaigners know what happened next.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh.

I think it depends on the player. Robertson’s been squeezed out of a top four side this year, he would be good midfield depth. Plus he would add some mongrel which we don’t have a huge amount of.

Robertson is a role player you get for cheap who you can depend on to do a job when needed. He is a decent run with tagger or backline stopper and yes has some mongrel. Good to have in the Beagles looking after the younger kids.

He will end up at Freo imo. More dollars and opportunity. He's a good blocker as well.

Last edited:
I'm more bullish about Ah Chee than most.
Whenever he plays he seems to put in a decent performance, but is seldom given the opportunity to string games together and build form.
I think he has a role to play as a high half forward who can apply pressure in the forward line and provide superior ball winning at forward half contests. Similar to the role that Venables was playing last year.
Playing Ryan, Rioli, Petch, Cameron and Waterman this year delivered us lots of goals but hurt our ability to win the ball in our forward half once it came to ground.
I'd like to see us play two of Ryan/Petch/Cameron along with one of Ah Chee/Venables to provide a better balance.
It's funny because he came over because we had a pretty weak midfield and there'd be opportunity for him.

Now our starting mids is stacked with talent and he is depth only.

Feel sorry for him as he has potential, just never had a good run in the seniors

Robertson is a role player you get for cheap who you can depend on to do a role when needed. He is a decent run with tagger or backline stopper and yes has some mongrel. Good to have in the Beagles looking after the younger kids.

He will end up at Freo imo. More dollars and opportunity. He's a good blocker as well.
There has been some talk about him on our board . Seems a better fit as you say , But list can only accommodate so many role players . And medium range .

I find it unfair that M.Allen gets delisted without having a chance to show what he's got for a string of games.

I really hope he gets a crack at it.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
IMO it's pretty clear from watching the WAFL that he's not up to AFL standard, too slow, not a great kick, nothing outstanding whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back