An idea for a better system of protest at AFC (and AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
It looks like now more than ever we need to protest at the AFC (and no doubt sometime in the future the AFL will massively dud us too).

Giving up memberships is very honorable as its a lot to give up, but there's still a number of people who want them, so they'll just sell them anyway.

What about keeping your membership but boycotting a block of games at the start of each year?

Everyone pledges not to go live, not to watch on TV or internet. It makes the ratings worse, attendances, clicks etc. Its a bad look, the media will talk about it. Its an easier sacrifice than giving up membership tho, so more ppl might join in on it. If this offseason ends up the way its looking now, perhaps boycott the first 4 games, if next year's another shite sandwhich boycott six.

The other thing is the club management, if they ever had an guts or brains, could use this same system against the AFL. I believe the fans would be very loyal if the club asked them to do it. So if like last year, the AFL decides to just give GC an extra pick out of nowhere and there is no compensation, Fagan tells crows fans not to rock up for the first 4 games. Sends a message.

Anyway, just a thought. Keep sending emails, keep calling the media, keep doing whatever. Some of the shite AFC puts out is unbelievable. I can't believe a player would have courage or avoid the easy option when the off field side of the club never seems to.

What about 23 seconds of booing at the 2 min mark of every quarter
?

Make it public so the media and everyone watching can hear it.

I already don't buy anything at the game or merch but i am a paying $625 if i want to be a gold member next season lol. It would be really funny if every fan at the game got up and started leaving as soon as the 1st quarter starts or at quarter time, half time.

I don't think any other fans in the VFL are taken more for granted than Crows fans by there own club but the Crows are more of a Franchise?Business than a club. No club rooms with Training facilities, an oval for the 2's to play and the team to practice and a terrible connection between players/fans. Also the people running the show are usually Snakes.

We all thought it was fantastic when we were free from the SANFL and could do what we want. We have effed it all up by ourselves and have no one to blame. The board is destroying this club inside and out.

We really needed a person like Balme to come here and clean house but unfortunately it isn’t meant to be. Our next 5 year will be critical, be could become a very powerful club or garbage. It’s exiting and scary at the same time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all thought it was fantastic when we were free from the SANFL and could do what we want. We have effed it all up by ourselves and have no one to blame. The board is destroying this club inside and out.

We really needed a person like Balme to come here and clean house but unfortunately it isn’t meant to be. Our next 5 year will be critical, be could become a very powerful club or garbage. It’s exiting and scary at the same time

I remember posting how concerning it was that the worst board we'd ever had was being granted the gift of perpetual self appointment. I didn't think we'd sink to these lows though.

Needed to go a lot harder at getting Vozzo across as well IMO.

Push for members voting rights, this is what we need for true change.
Sorry to quote an old post but have you met any of our members? Particularly the older generation? Those turkeys would vote for thanksgiving in a heartbeat. I want members to have more control over the club too. The uphill battle is convincing them there is a need for change. I guarantee if members had control over board appointments right now, they'd vote to retain idiots like Roo and Fagan.

Sorry to quote an old post but have you met any of our members? Particularly the older generation? Those turkeys would vote for thanksgiving in a heartbeat. I want members to have more control over the club too. The uphill battle is convincing them there is a need for change. I guarantee if members had control over board appointments right now, they'd vote to retain idiots like Roo and Fagan.

that’s what worries me

i want more power in the hands of members

then I remember how dumb our members are

still remember the AGM where they gave Trigg a standing ovation straight after he got busted with Tippettgate

Geoffa32 was there with me, we both died inside

It looks like now more than ever we need to protest at the AFC (and no doubt sometime in the future the AFL will massively dud us too).

Giving up memberships is very honorable as its a lot to give up, but there's still a number of people who want them, so they'll just sell them anyway.

What about keeping your membership but boycotting a block of games at the start of each year?

Everyone pledges not to go live, not to watch on TV or internet. It makes the ratings worse, attendances, clicks etc. Its a bad look, the media will talk about it. Its an easier sacrifice than giving up membership tho, so more ppl might join in on it. If this offseason ends up the way its looking now, perhaps boycott the first 4 games, if next year's another sh*te sandwhich boycott six.

The other thing is the club management, if they ever had an guts or brains, could use this same system against the AFL. I believe the fans would be very loyal if the club asked them to do it. So if like last year, the AFL decides to just give GC an extra pick out of nowhere and there is no compensation, Fagan tells crows fans not to rock up for the first 4 games. Sends a message.

Anyway, just a thought. Keep sending emails, keep calling the media, keep doing whatever. Some of the sh*te AFC puts out is unbelievable. I can't believe a player would have courage or avoid the easy option when the off field side of the club never seems to.

Club protests are such a paradox of hopelessness.

If you simply don't turn up, it gives the AFL and Vics beautiful ammunition to always keep SA clubs on a lower tier. Doing it during a downturn in fortunes for the club will easily be dismissed as fair-weather fans packing off until the next flag tilt.

If you turn up and do something like turn your backs or anything coordinated like that, the powers that be simply smile wryly at you from the boxes, wonder how long the simpletons will keep this up for and go back to counting your money.

Even if you have a super-invested and coordinated fan base with a sustained system of protest it doesn't even work. A good example is Newcastle United. Fans protesting against Mike Ashley as owner have been going on for over a decade - who still owns the team? Mike Ashley. Even when some fans organise a game boycott the stadium is still sold out. The only seats empty are those who have season tickets and have boycotted.

Moral of the story - your own fans will sell you out. Casual observers who know nothing of the players they are supporting letalone the pain tearing at your heart will happily buy up tickets to the match.

The loyal brigade of members who are "proud of the club no matter what" or else "to be a real SUPPORTER means supporting" (just go on Facebook if you aren't familiar with these people) may be aware of the issues but subscribe to personal code of honour, where any criticism of the club is a sin that will condemn them to hell, they will just march right into AO. They might even send a letter of support to the club if they know you are sending a criticism. They enable the club.

Not turning up, not paying the money just hurts the club and the most vulnerable people to that hurt are not the ones you are angry with.

The AFL, the media, the other clubs all put spins on it that result in unintended consequences counter to your cause.

The only hope is for actual personnel to come in who is willing and able to make change. How likely is that at the AFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back