International And then there were 10: 2008 RLWC teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Hicham

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The 10th and final spot as been filled. We now have our final line-up for the Cup.

England
New Zealand
France
Australia
Scotland
Tonga
Ireland
PNG
Fiji
Samoa

I've been shocked at the quality of the qualifiers. Despite any suggestions otherwise, Rugby League has come a long way internationally since the 2000 debacle.

I've been shocked at the quality of the qualifiers. Despite any suggestions otherwise, Rugby League has come a long way internationally since the 2000 debacle.
The RLWC 2000 wasn't a debacle, it was just extremely poor timing for the some of the worst weather Britain and the majority fo Europe have ever seen. That tournament was a spring board for many nations to compete on a regular basis and I would say that the only nation to decline in this time has ben Russia who are up and down like a brides nightie.

In saying that, I do agree whole heartedly about the standard of qualifiers and the increase in all aspects of international rugby league.

Russia have had some period of decline but they are still much much better off than they were in 2000. They improved dramatically until 2004-5 then have gone downhill since then IMO.

Russia have had some period of decline but they are still much much better off than they were in 2000. They improved dramatically until 2004-5 then have gone downhill since then IMO.
They had and still do have some excellent players with massive potential. Robert Ilaysov was an example. He scored 4 tries against the Yanks and was asked to come and play with Canberra and Wests but he turned he turned it down to stay with Locamotiv.

I was there in 2000.

It was a disaster financially, it was a disaster on the field and it was a disaster for International Rugby League's reputation that is going to take a great deal to recover from.

To suggest otherwise is lunacy. It's the type of un-constructive fantasyland thinking that will get our great game game nowhere.

Russia is in its current predicament because of the terrible management structure in control of the game (Crap management, Rugby League. Who woulda thunkit?). It'd be great if they could get a Spinner Howland or two over there, because they were unbelievably close to launching off 4 years ago before all the current crap happened. There's still hope however. Guys like Ilaysov should be allowed to develop their game overseas instead of being held on to by jealous club financiers in Russia.

I was there in 2000.

It was a disaster financially, it was a disaster on the field and it was a disaster for International Rugby League's reputation that is going to take a great deal to recover from.

To suggest otherwise is lunacy. It's the type of un-constructive fantasyland thinking that will get our great game game nowhere.

Russia is in its current predicament because of the terrible management structure in control of the game (Crap management, Rugby League. Who woulda thunkit?). It'd be great if they could get a Spinner Howland or two over there, because they were unbelievably close to launching off 4 years ago before all the current crap happened. There's still hope however. Guys like Ilaysov should be allowed to develop their game overseas instead of being held on to by jealous club financiers in Russia.
I strongly disagree that it was a disaster. Yes, we lost money and there were blow-out scorelines but you have a look at the international season before the 2000 RLWC. It was pretty much non-existent. The blow-outs are common in any WC other then soccer. Remember Australia 145 Namibia 0? Yes, it was a big score but I wouldn't say it is a disaster. Next time they play I'd suggest that Australia would struggle for 100.

People in rugby league LOVE to start a sentence about our game with 'This is a joke because', 'this is a farce because', 'this is a disaster because' etc and when anyone sees anything different people get annoyed.

Some people expect the game to go from a poor international season to a thriving season with WC's that attract millions. That won;t happen and the sonner that people realise this the better but I strongly disgaree that the 2000 RLWC was a total disaster as some of the rugby league doomsayers will tell you.

I strongly disagree that it was a disaster. Yes, we lost money and there were blow-out scorelines but you have a look at the international season before the 2000 RLWC. It was pretty much non-existent. The blow-outs are common in any WC other then soccer. Remember Australia 145 Namibia 0? Yes, it was a big score but I wouldn't say it is a disaster. Next time they play I'd suggest that Australia would struggle for 100.

The 2003 RUWC was played in front of sellout crowds across Australia, it was marketed brilliantly and made the ARU and IRB a truckload of cash.

The 2000 RLWC was played in front of dinky crowds at Midlands venues, it was the victim of terrible marketing (Blame the weather all you like, the marketing was terrible), and put the RFL in debt it took half a decade to recover from. Besides the game benefiting in Russia and Lebanon, there was hardly any positives to speak of.

That's why one was a success and the other was a failure. The blowout scores have nothing to do with it. I've seen some savage world cup beatings in the Soccer. Germany v Saudi Arabia in 2002 comes to mind.

People in rugby league LOVE to start a sentence about our game with 'This is a joke because', 'this is a farce because', 'this is a disaster because' etc and when anyone sees anything different people get annoyed.

I've no problem with attacking needless naysaying. But to suggest the 2000 RLWC wasn't a fiasco is nuts. It was. The most important thing in any endeavour is to learn from mistakes and seek to rectify them. Besides the catharsis that followed the immediate years after that World Cup, I've seen the games administrators making halting, but ultimately positive steps towards the development of the international game.

Some people expect the game to go from a poor international season to a thriving season with WC's that attract millions. That won;t happen and the sonner that people realise this the better but I strongly disgaree that the 2000 RLWC was a total disaster as some of the rugby league doomsayers will tell you.

It was a disaster. Complete and utter. I don't care what the Fitzsimmons of this world have to say about it, but if RL wants to be honest with itself, it's time to face facts.

Looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree as I do see your point but I also see the positives that came out of it which is in my personality. The RLWC in 2000 was a springboard for many nations to begin playing serious rugby league and I don;t see what the RUWC has to do with anything, aren't we talking about rugby league???

Cumon you 2 forget about what happen in 2000, and let's all focus on 2008:) :thumbsu:, and to tell you the truth I can't bloody wait as I'm going to watch every game in Queensland,go you Kangaroos.:)

And to see so many countries playing RL for the first time in Australia is going to be Awsome.I say bring it on.:thumbsu:

Looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree as I do see your point but I also see the positives that came out of it which is in my personality. The RLWC in 2000 was a springboard for many nations to begin playing serious rugby league and I don;t see what the RUWC has to do with anything, aren't we talking about rugby league???

YOU Brought the RUWC up first!

Yes, there were positives. Lebanon and Russia benefited from it. No one else did. The growth of the game in countries like Serbia, Scotland and Ireland has little to do with the 2000 RLWC.

So, you would be happy for the 2008 edition to be run like the 2000 one? Seriously, disaster. It is awesome that everyone seems to have learnt some lessons from it. But there is no point in pretending that mutton is lamb.

Cumon you 2 forget about what happen in 2000, and let's all focus on 2008:) :thumbsu:, and to tell you the truth I can't bloody wait as I'm going to watch every game in Queensland,go you Kangaroos.:)

And to see so many countries playing RL for the first time in Australia is going to be Awsome.I say bring it on.:thumbsu:

Indeed. As I said, Rugby League has progressed in leaps and bounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just a little worried about the actual nationality of some of the players representing some of these countries.
Well you needn't be. Like football and rugby union, players play who they feel comfortable and are eligible for. Sure there are players from some countries that play for countries in which they have 'heritage' but that is exactly the same as football and rah rah. Look at the Croatian football team and you will see many Aussie born players similar to other union countries like Scotland and Japan.

The percentage of Aussie born players playing for other nationalities is relatively low.

Well you needn't be. Like football and rugby union, players play who they feel comfortable and are eligible for. Sure there are players from some countries that play for countries in which they have 'heritage' but that is exactly the same as football and rah rah. Look at the Croatian football team and you will see many Aussie born players similar to other union countries like Scotland and Japan.

The percentage of Aussie born players playing for other nationalities is relatively low.

I was actually more concerned about Samoa, who appear to be a retirement home for former Kiwi players. The rule should be, like in football, that if you play in a senior national team for a country you are a naturalised citizen of, you can't play for any others. Period.

I was actually more concerned about Samoa, who appear to be a retirement home for former Kiwi players. The rule should be, like in football, that if you play in a senior national team for a country you are a naturalised citizen of, you can't play for any others. Period.

I agree with that but at this point in time in the development of international rugby league I think it is a positive as players who have have reached their used-by date with one of the big nations represents their REAL ountry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back