Autopsy Andy_Mac's insights on Goodwin - 'Ask Andy'

Remove this Banner Ad

It was awesome, you missed out. Me and 2 others got to spend 15-20 mins with prior just shooting the breeze. It was like fast money on sale of the century...

- Spencer is only a week away. But depth is a worry in the Ruck. King needs to put 20kg's on, they aim for 7 per year
- Neeld physiologically damaged the players, particularly Watts. He needs to be constantly reassured, high 5's etc
- Roo's going to Hawaii for 6 months and undecided after that. Most likely not coming back in a footy role
- club went very hard after Brendan McCarthy. Goody rates him as the best in the country at what he does
- Truck is arrogant, but in a good way. He thought he should have been playing since round 1. Goody said he's way to good for the VFL. He said he's like a panther out there. Said he plays like a mixture of Stringer up forward and Ebert through the middle. He'll play forward and kick goals this year. If he could choose only one of Hoges and Truck, he'd pick Hoges but only cause he hasn't seen Truck at AFL level yet. That said he did almost smirk and giggle when he said Hoges is very very good.
- explained the Essendon game well. He said "all club have s**t days at the office", especially inexperienced ones like ours. he said the difference between us and Geelong who were in the same position as us against the bombers last weekend was that their senior players know how to grit their teeth and wait, and more importantly trust that momentum will shift and when it does take you take your chances and bury the oppo. We hit the lead at the 10min mark of the last. He said he expected us to kick 2-3 more and kill the game, we got over excited and blew it, the cats didn't. That's were the 80 games comes into it
- they internally really rate Wagner and Hunt. He kept saying we found one on the weekend when referring to Hunt
- Had some interesting things to say on his time at Essendon and more so how removed Hirdy is now. But that's not relevant.

Ask what you like, we talked about pretty much everything.

That's great Andy, thanks. Did they say how they rate Garland and will Matt Jones be dropped this weekend? :D

It was awesome, you missed out. Me and 2 others got to spend 15-20 mins with prior just shooting the breeze. It was like fast money on sale of the century...

- Spencer is only a week away. But depth is a worry in the Ruck. King needs to put 20kg's on, they aim for 7 per year
- Neeld physiologically damaged the players, particularly Watts. He needs to be constantly reassured, high 5's etc
- Roo's going to Hawaii for 6 months and undecided after that. Most likely not coming back in a footy role
- club went very hard after Brendan McCarthy. Goody rates him as the best in the country at what he does
- Truck is arrogant, but in a good way. He thought he should have been playing since round 1. Goody said he's way to good for the VFL. He said he's like a panther out there. Said he plays like a mixture of Stringer up forward and Ebert through the middle. He'll play forward and kick goals this year. If he could choose only one of Hoges and Truck, he'd pick Hoges but only cause he hasn't seen Truck at AFL level yet. That said he did almost smirk and giggle when he said Hoges is very very good.
- explained the Essendon game well. He said "all club have s**t days at the office", especially inexperienced ones like ours. he said the difference between us and Geelong who were in the same position as us against the bombers last weekend was that their senior players know how to grit their teeth and wait, and more importantly trust that momentum will shift and when it does take you take your chances and bury the oppo. We hit the lead at the 10min mark of the last. He said he expected us to kick 2-3 more and kill the game, we got over excited and blew it, the cats didn't. That's were the 80 games comes into it
- they internally really rate Wagner and Hunt. He kept saying we found one on the weekend when referring to Hunt
- Had some interesting things to say on his time at Essendon and more so how removed Hirdy is now. But that's not relevant.

Ask what you like, we talked about pretty much everything.
Why does Roosy like Hawaii so much?

Also the coaching staff have a mad hard on for themselves over Hunt. It's like they reckon they've found the next Chris Grant.

That's great Andy, thanks. Did they say how they rate Garland and will Matt Jones be dropped this weekend? :D
He wouldn't be to drawn into selection to much. But was very clear there was a definite thing or things Garlo did to get dropped. I think as a leadership group member he's held to a higher account. He said they were deliberate in not appoint the leadership group till so late. They vacated all positions said Jones was captain and left it vacant till only a month or so ago. He said 4 of the 6 blokes were who he'd want in the group. Not sure Garlo was one of them. He said that 4 out of 6 is good enough to control the narrative.

He wouldn't be to drawn into selection to much. But was very clear there was a definite thing or things Garlo did to get dropped. I think as a leadership group member he's held to a higher account. He said they were deliberate in not appoint the leadership group till so late. They vacated all positions said Jones was captain and left it vacant till only a month or so ago. He said 4 of the 6 blokes were who he'd want in the group. Not sure Garlo was one of them. He said that 4 out of 6 is good enough to control the narrative.

Wow, I was really just kidding after all the discussions on this board at the moment about them. But thanks!

Did they get into how the coaching dynamic is working this year? I guess, how much control, roles and such Roos and Goodwin have during the week and gameday?

Said we found one probably 4 or 5 times. Loves him

Not likely to be dropped for Vince and Garlett this weekend I would guess then.

Wow, I was really just kidding after all the discussions on this board at the moment about them. But thanks!

Did they get into how the coaching dynamic is working this year? I guess, how much control, roles and such Roos and Goodwin have during the week and gameday?.

He did. Just he controls the place during the week and Roosy is game day. Sounded like he did most of the recruiting stuff last year. Ie went up to Maroopna to see Oliver at his place.

He said all that will change next year is there will be a camera on him in the box all game so he will have to watch the language...

Andy appreciate you giving us your insight. Love to know your thoughts on Goodwin as a person and as a communicator. What is he like when the cameras aren't on him and over a couple beers as my impression of him (through various media) has always been that he seems a bit stiff and uncomfortable in formal situations. Although when I see him out at Casey just watching the game like regular folk he seems much more relaxed and approachable. How was he to just talk footy with?

Andy_Mac did you find out the real reason for the "basketball" incident? Or did the club buy that excuse?

Had someone who knows the family say Trac was out pissed but they couldn't get the real story out of them :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andy appreciate you giving us your insight. Love to know your thoughts on Goodwin as a person and as a communicator. What is he like when the cameras aren't on him and over a couple beers as my impression of him (through various media) has always been that he seems a bit stiff and uncomfortable in formal situations. Although when I see him out at Casey just watching the game like regular folk he seems much more relaxed and approachable. How was he to just talk footy with?
Yeah interesting... I've been analysing him for the last 24hrs. He is certainly intense, very driven. I wouldn't say conversation flowed, he's considered even in general conversation but he was still engaging and could have a laugh about Gawny smoking a durry when he first got to the club. He talked quietly and held good eye contact. Talked passionately and insightfully about cultural intervention, clear communication, vision etc. In the larger group situation he controlled the Q&A well, he avoided questions skilfully. Somebody asked about is he looking forward to dealing with Caro. He just said Footy Clasified is on to late for him and moved on to the next question. Was very impressed with how he described the Essendon lost, no bullshit about being tired.

I think he's going to make an excellent coach. I was very impressed. I'm going to get him down to my place to give the exec group a presentation on the togetherness + endurance = satisfaction (or some such thing).

Gave a classic example about who do you think treasures their premierships more Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis etc or Frawley?

Why does Roosy like Hawaii so much?

Also the coaching staff have a mad hard on for themselves over Hunt. It's like they reckon they've found the next Chris Grant.

I reckon we've got one in Hunt too - electric speed, has defended well and seems to be able to impact the contest at ground level and in the air.

Good kicking technique, just needs to improve composure

Andy_Mac did you find out the real reason for the "basketball" incident? Or did the club buy that excuse?

Had someone who knows the family say Trac was out pissed but they couldn't get the real story out of them :$
Nothing specific other than he's really confident. Made mention that managing young guys that have agents that tell them there worth millions and family that think they should be getting more senior games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back