Any Utah Jazz fans out there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Green had two 10 days contracts and wasn't signed after they expired.

No doubt Mack and his value to this team will be tested later today against Lillard. If we can keep him under 30 and contain CJ we should walk away with the W.

Mack nothing special but he'll basically be a stop-gap at PG until Dante returns. He offers a bit of versatility so we'll see how he goes.

Also, seeing as we signed Mack we now have 16 on the roster, is it Pleiss or Green who has been taken off?
Green will go, disagree on Mack as well but time will tell .....

Did someone say 5th seed?

I love this team so much. Hood is an absolute star!
Lol, went too early with this one, my bad. Seriously, wtf happened?

I'm not sold on Snyder. After a year and a half our offensive "system" is still "make a bunch of pointless passes around the perimeter until there's 7 on the shot clock, then iso or pick and roll". Seems every game we have a ~5 minute stretch where we literally don't score, and the turnovers are getting ridiculous. Also, why is Mack starting? There were many occasions before the break where he could/maybe should have switched up the starting lineup but he didn't, and thats fine, but Mack has one decent game off the bench and he gets the keys? If it were a proven dude like Teague/Lawson/Jennings then sure, but we were cruising with Neto, and theres a reason Mack was a 3rd stringer and we got him for nothing.

We must beef up the roster in the off season.

Lol, went too early with this one, my bad. Seriously, wtf happened?

I'm not sold on Snyder. After a year and a half our offensive "system" is still "make a bunch of pointless passes around the perimeter until there's 7 on the shot clock, then iso or pick and roll". Seems every game we have a ~5 minute stretch where we literally don't score, and the turnovers are getting ridiculous. Also, why is Mack starting? There were many occasions before the break where he could/maybe should have switched up the starting lineup but he didn't, and thats fine, but Mack has one decent game off the bench and he gets the keys? If it were a proven dude like Teague/Lawson/Jennings then sure, but we were cruising with Neto, and theres a reason Mack was a 3rd stringer and we got him for nothing.

We must beef up the roster in the off season.

Don't think there is a lot that needs to be done here. Exum will be back which forces Mack/Neto to the bench, Burks will be back meaning Ingles and Johnson who will play bugger all meaningful game time (Exum also could limit their minutes further, if he plays the 2) and finally Lyles should develop further and give us a genuine option of the bench. Add a FA like Dudley as well as our first rounder and we will have a solid bench to go with out impressive starting five.

Don't think there is a lot that needs to be done here. Exum will be back which forces Mack/Neto to the bench, Burks will be back meaning Ingles and Johnson who will play bugger all meaningful game time (Exum also could limit their minutes further, if he plays the 2) and finally Lyles should develop further and give us a genuine option of the bench. Add a FA like Dudley as well as our first rounder and we will have a solid bench to go with out impressive starting five.
Agree, not talking drastic changes, this is my rough thinking:

PG: If were serious about a playoff push, we can't put all our eggs in the Exum basket. Burke is clearly done here, while Neto and Mack are low end backups if not 3rd stringers. I say trade future picks for a guy like Teague/G. Hill, or sign Chalmers (2 years)/Jennings (1+1). Gives Exum a year to show us who he is without too much pressure.

SG: Happy with our guys, CJ could get cut but I think he's OK depth. Could use Alec to trade up for Murray/Hield.

SF: Need a better backup. I like Ingles but really he's an end of bench guy. Dudley would be cool no doubt, but contenders will be lining up to sign him, will probably have to draft one.

PF: Similar to PG sitation, I think we should sign a veteran guy to a one year deal so we don't completely throw Lyles to the wolves. Someone like Leuer or Tolliver.

C: Maybe Pleiss isn't worth a roster spot. Couldn't even crack the rotation with Favors and Gobert out, so what is he good for?

So,
Exum-Chalmers-Neto
Hood-Burks-Johnson
Hayward-Valentine?-Ingles
Favors-Lyles-Tolliver-Hayes/Uthoff?
Gobert-Withey

Looks a lot more solid to me.

Agree, not talking drastic changes, this is my rough thinking:

PG: If were serious about a playoff push, we can't put all our eggs in the Exum basket. Burke is clearly done here, while Neto and Mack are low end backups if not 3rd stringers. I say trade future picks for a guy like Teague/G. Hill, or sign Chalmers (2 years)/Jennings (1+1). Gives Exum a year to show us who he is without too much pressure.

SG: Happy with our guys, CJ could get cut but I think he's OK depth. Could use Alec to trade up for Murray/Hield.

SF: Need a better backup. I like Ingles but really he's an end of bench guy. Dudley would be cool no doubt, but contenders will be lining up to sign him, will probably have to draft one.

PF: Similar to PG sitation, I think we should sign a veteran guy to a one year deal so we don't completely throw Lyles to the wolves. Someone like Leuer or Tolliver.

C: Maybe Pleiss isn't worth a roster spot. Couldn't even crack the rotation with Favors and Gobert out, so what is he good for?

So,
Exum-Chalmers-Neto
Hood-Burks-Johnson
Hayward-Valentine?-Ingles
Favors-Lyles-Tolliver-Hayes/Uthoff?
Gobert-Withey

Looks a lot more solid to me.

First and foremost I think we should target big names in FA (Durant through to MKG). The likelihood of pulling it off is incredibly slim but you still have to try.

PG - Chalmers is an alright option, although I doubt we will have any interest in another PG, which doesn't really bother me. 2017 is the year to go after a PG if Exum doesn't work out, the draft class is meant to unbelievably strong with five or so PG's being considered lottery picks at this stage, while in FA George Hill and Jrue Holiday are out of contract.

SG - Don't think we change anything here (Hood, Burks, Ingles, Exum and Johnson options here).

SF - Have Hayward and Hood already so signing a FA capable of playing the 3/4 would be ideal. This is where Dudley/Deng fit well and we could offer them a deal similar to the deal Boston handed Amar Johnson i.e. 10m/2 with a team option for the second year. Outside of Dudley, Mo Harkless is a good buy low option, Crabbe is another good option and I also think Evan Turner and James Johnson would be good targets.

PF - Agree with the type you're thinking of. Someone capable of coming in gunning it from deep but is only played for special circumstances. Personally would offer Mirza Teletovic a 10m/2 with second year being team option deal, although thats based on missing out on other free agents. Would also consider Steve Novak on a veterans deal.

C - Would offer Ian Mahinmi a 35/3 deal with team options. Mahinmi complements Favors and Lyles well and offers rim protection when used for around 20 minutes a game. He would also make for a good trade chip, especially for contenders and if signed on a friendly contract like the one I propose. Trade Withey given Quin doesn't play him and he has some value. Pleiss I think is a project player (despite his age) and Lindsay will be hoping that after a year playing against some NBA athletes that he will be able to cope with the physicality, similar to Alexis Ajinca.

Draft - If we keep our current pick than the best available will likely be a 4/5, in which case perhaps not sign a Teletovic or whoever. I'm actually hoping we take an international prospect with this pick and stash him Europe (Luwawu) for a season or better yet trade down and get two international prospects and stash them (Hernmonaz, Cornielle).

Still terrible in close games. I don't care what their record is, that was an epic choke job. That last play in regulation was heinous, can't believe they drew up a play for ****ing Mack. Sure as hell not the first time this season either.

Still terrible in close games. I don't care what their record is, that was an epic choke job. That last play in regulation was heinous, can't believe they drew up a play for ****ing Mack. Sure as hell not the first time this season either.
Lost it at the line ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another great comeback led by Joe but still extremely frustrating to lose at the end.

We need to win 3 of our last 4 to make the postseason basically.

Clippers apparently resting some starters against us, which is huge. We'll now go in favourites in our last 4. If we win out we'll get the 6 seed, but if we drop one I think we can miss out altogether...

Clippers apparently resting some starters against us, which is huge. We'll now go in favourites in our last 4. If we win out we'll get the 6 seed, but if we drop one I think we can miss out altogether...
Clips already confirmed to be resting Griffin.

We should win against them if they rest more, then we have Denver away, Dallas at home and Lakers away. I'm nervous about the Lakers game, being Kobe's final match and all, but I'm pretty confident of winning at least 3.

CP3, DeAndre, Griffin, Redick and Wesley Johnson all resting for tomorrow's game. Really should be an easy win now. Burks may be back for us as well.

Main points of interest ?

It was interesting, but probably not a great deal specific to Jazz fans. He talks a bit about his relationship with Quin Snyder. Also suggests he may not have been picked up by the Jazz if Dante wasn't there, who apparently had an Ingles poster on his wall as a kid. Also discusses how he knocked back on offer from Memphis in 2012 and being cut from the Clips just before the season started last year.

It was more interesting in regards to his experiences in Europe and with the national team, rather then Jazz specific. Heavy focus on how hard it is a journeyman, as opposed to most of Woj's guests who are superstars (Patrick Ewing was his previous guest).

Would recommend any Aussie basketball fan having a listen.

Welp, we're done.

We can blame it on injuries or the Withey non call vs Houston, but we got ourselves healthy (relatively) and had multiple chances to clinch in the last couple of weeks and we flat out pissed them away.

I think it's gonna hurt us long term more than we'll ever know. Instead of our young team getting a taste of the playoffs, they're gonna spend the whole offseason wondering if they're good enough.

So, #12 for George Hill.

I've stewed on it for a few hours and I still don't know how I feel about it. On one hand I like that we're finally making some win-now moves (if we made this move at the deadline I would have been stoked), but a lottery pick is a pretty steep price to pay for a 30 year old one year rental. I'll reserve judgement for now, but excited for next year! For the first time in forever we have an actual NBA standard PG! If we had a healthy Hill last season we probably push for home court.

Hopefully we're still active tomorrow. Trade Burke or Neto for an early second, draft a couple of guys to come in and push for roster spots and a couple of stashes (or sell them). Guys I'd target are;
- Bigs - Robert Carter, Hammons, Zimmerman, Onuaku
- Forwards - Layman, Uthoff
- Wings - Levert, Cousins, Brogdon, Gbinije
- Guards - McCaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back