Anyone genuinely made money betting on sport

Remove this Banner Ad

I also guessing these are with big stakes $400+ bets for $1.50 - $2.00 odds?

Can't see any other way you are making $1000+ profits most weeks.

This how you do it?

$50 unit size, I very rarely bet more than a unit unless I think a bet has insane +EV. On these occasions it’s still no more than 2-3 units. Bankroll management is crucial if you want to be successful in this game as you will always have winning AND losing bets. At the end of the day it’s about mitigating risk.

SGMs are terrible for 99% of bettors but so are most markets as they don't have an edge there either, they'll just lose their money slower.

Given how much of a money machine SGMs are they get very little attention paid to them by books, it is very hard to detect if a bet is any good or not, plenty making lots of money exploiting this.

$50 unit size, I very rarely bet more than a unit unless I think a bet has insane +EV. On these occasions it’s still no more than 2-3 units. Bankroll management is crucial if you want to be successful in this game as you will always have winning AND losing bets. At the end of the day it’s about mitigating risk.
Do you guys have a range of odds you play with or is it all EV? Does your odds range stay within $1.50 - $4 bracket when betting?

Do you guys have a range of odds you play with or is it all EV? Does your odds range stay within $1.50 - $4 bracket when betting?

This season I decided to focus on goalscorers. Unless I see some soft lines, like the Swans have been lately but haven't bet them, because that's just how betting works and I'm not right in the head.

Now mostly +EV, if I'm going to bet less than +EV at min and make a larger multiple unit bet at at least 1.70 it's usually either side under 24. But since I'm a degenerate moron I decided to sway from my system I put 4u on GWS to win on the weekend. I've already sent ASADA a sternly worded email about investigating Essington again.

Can people here saying they make money show their total profit loss. I get that you could put in 20k. Walk put with 15k and go on a holiday.

I would like to know actual profit
I keep track of every single bet that I make on a spreadsheet. For the 2024 AFL season so far, (I have posted 95% of my bets in the weekly threads) I have the following:

Wagers: $76,673.84
Profit: $10,988.22
Return: 14%

I have posted my bets in terms of units each week and for me this year in AFL 1u = $200.

I have made a profit betting AFL for the last 4 years. Certainly doable.

Definitely down overall, but I don't do it week to week and treat it as entertainment.

There's a couple of posters on here who must be down an absolute motser over the last few years.

The "oh look I missed winning by one leg/possession/goal that's basically a win" crowd tend to be the worst performers IMO.

Definitely down overall, but I don't do it week to week and treat it as entertainment.

There's a couple of posters on here who must be down an absolute motser over the last few years.

The "oh look I missed winning by one leg/possession/goal that's basically a win" crowd tend to be the worst performers IMO.
A mate will lose multiple SGM a weekend by 1 leg. He is so continuously close it has to border on bad luck even though his massive 20 leggers are -EV, at some point 1 has to go your way being that close consistently. Being that close is what sucks people in though

I had 4 SGM in a weekend where they never got within 5+ legs etc so just gave that away quickly.

Nothing wrong with the SGM at massive long odds despite people crying they're -EV. Who cares, so is powerball and people play that every week. Much more chance winning a big sgm on a sport you have some idea about than the lottery...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down on AFL/NBA but treat that as entertainment.

Up good on boxing/MMA. Have funded a 3 week holiday in the USA, multiple trips to Melbourne/Sydney/Perth for events, 2022 AFL GF trip, kitchen/bathroom renovation over the last few years.

Winning can be done, looking at historical odds/results won't help disprove or prove that as everyone would cap those games differently prematch

If you think result A is a 60% chance of winning, bookies give it a 50% chance, bet
If bookies set it at 60%, and you have it 50% don't bet.

If your analysis is right long term, you'll be fine. Multis should be treated as lotto tickets for the most part
I have heard that MMA is good to bet on, but I dont know why

I made 8k on AFL last year, but I wasn't betting on H&A results (or not much anyway). Up about 2.5k this year. I really don't think it's as difficult as you're making out.

I bet bulletride has made money on sports betting this year.
How about giving some examples off bets that you would make, making 8k a year on the side from betting works for me

How about giving some examples off bets that you would make, making 8k a year on the side from betting works for me
I made about 4k from unders bets on the weather last year. Sometimes they don't get up and it's frustrating, but when they do it's good money. Up more than 2k on those this year. I usually bet on U40 each half at 51-1 or 101-1 and then ~u100-115 for total unders @ 101.

And I made 6k from marks multis at TAB last year, including the Geelong v St Kilda game where the had a ridiculous number of marks. Some teams take a lot more marks than others. Sometimes depends on the opposition and venue. I haven't had the same luck with them this year, except a little with Melbourne and Brisbane.

And then I lose money on goal-kickers and goal-kicker multis, I think quite a bit last year.

It seems a good idea to me to follow any good advice you see in the latest round AFL thread.

But I haven't made 8k every year, only last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back