Rumour Anyone shed any light on these blokes mentioned in this article?

Remove this Banner Ad

ha ha, unless I'm thinking of someone else, Mike said last year that Tuddy agreed to talk about that stuff, or at least that he could "ask him anything", which is why he asked the questions, and looked bemused when Tuddy cracked it :p

He could have declined the interview and money if he didn't wish to talk about it. What a sook.

It's not that far fetched. I mean it's crazy, but brazeness sorta goes with the territory.

Rod Butters, allegedly, went on a StKilda pre-season camp while he was President and was brazenly doing lines in front of plenty of eyes at the communal breakfast table.

I think it does sound far fetched. Anyone with the sort of arrogance to think that they'd get away with that would probably consider an interview to be beneath them in the first place. If true, Butterss would have had long relationships with the players and presumably he wouldn't have been the only one getting on it in that group, so not really comparable.

1. is definitely Nicholls. He used to hire a car in Melbourne, drive it to Sydney, sell it, gamble the $$ then repeat the process on the way home. Club used to foot the bill each time.
Yepp.
On one occasion he asked if he could borrow his boss' car, then took off up the Hume. Only got as far as Albury on that occasion before selling it.
The club did pay fines, but had to ask many favours at Russell St which likely cost much more.

Last edited:
1. is definitely Nicholls. He used to hire a car in Melbourne, drive it to Sydney, sell it, gamble the $$ then repeat the process on the way home. Club used to foot the bill each time.
Nicholls actually did jail time when he was about 19

"While playing for Carlton, Nicholls served a 3-month jail term at Pentridge Prison in 1960, having been found guilty of the embezzlement of ₤5,558 from the Collins Street Branch of the E.S.&A. Bank, and larceny as a servant, and sentenced to twelve months' imprisonment (with an eligibility for parole after three months),[13] he missed the first eleven games of the 1960 season, returning to play against Richmond on July 16, 1960".

"While playing for Carlton, Nicholls served a 3-month jail term at Pentridge Prison in 1960, having been found guilty of the embezzlement of ₤5,558 from the Collins Street Branch of the E.S.&A. Bank, and larceny as a servant, and sentenced to twelve months' imprisonment (with an eligibility for parole after three months),[13] he missed the first eleven games of the 1960 season, returning to play against Richmond on July 16, 1960".
I wonder how he has kept out of trouble since he has retired. I assume the smorgans have helped him

In this day and age his absence would be listed as “health issues”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back