Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Parker

TED: How’s June?
Jul 15, 2013
Meeanjin
AFL Club
Collingwood
Arrived on the Gold Coast post the drive from Brisbane, plenty of time to think what might be in 2019. Fizzing at the bunghole in anticipation of seeing the boys.
Walking from the Southport Sharks car-park to the ground I still get the same nervous energy as I did as a kid going to see players live. I envy those of you that can attend most weeks.

So the warm-up saw a madrigal of Magpies gathered and I was quickly scanning for my favourites as well as the newbies.

First up,Brodie all class. An old duck that would have seen Lou Richards train asked Brodie for a selfie just as they were starting training.
Said he didn’t think he’d be allowed to 'right now' but would love to afterwards. Was sincere and it made her day.

I moved around to the far side of the ground away from the main stand which thankfully was where a good deal of the action was and a bit of shade cast from the light towers.

REHAB GROUPS
Sidey - not sure what issue he has but was doing laps with Broomy & Appleby. None of them exerting themselves. The latter look a way off.
Appleby running past in the group asked what do they think was Jamie’s goal, Broomy said jokingly, retirement...(not funny Broomy)
That said Jamie was involved early then cut away from the groups to do sprint work through the square. Pink boots were flying. I reckon he looked in great nick. Was vocal out on the track when he joined the main groups.
Shaz, Reid & Dunne progressing well. Plenty of sharp turning work at speed in and around around the square in straight line and turning drills, very much put through their paces. I was surprised how well they've come on and I'd expect Reid and Dunn on balance to be pushing for inclusion in the 1st quarter of the season.

Several players did some sprint work late, Daics, JDG, Treloar.
Treloar did 3 centre square / wing runs, looked to me to have left ham string tightness and was looking uncomfortable. Spent plenty of time talking to trainers. Shook his head a bit, clearly wasn’t right.
Round 1 doubt? Or just labouring in the heat as a few players were. I didn’t think it was hot as last year though.
Daics was noticeably quick on the centre square / wing sprint, has some toe and when in the main drills, was in firmly the action. Beautiful disposal.

Tyler Brown listed at 188 has grown past 190. Taller than Murphy who is listed at 190 (settle down you lot) Going really well according to one of the support staff. Expect a big year as he'll be pushing for starting 22 inclusion.

Thomas and Wells spent time one out for set shots, high percentage through the middle, classy finishers and our go to mids in this area. Wells looked in good nick,mclearlymahead of last year.

FORWARDS
JDG, Varcoe, Cox, Thomas, C Brown, Mihocek, Varcoe, Jamie (yes Jamie training!!) , Atu - about same size as Thomas.
All looked solid enough although I thought our backs had the edge.
Cox leading well into space, another who was getting involved.
Stepho looked uncomfortable in the heat, looked tired. Might have been too much birthday cake.
JDG not the greatest trainer although I thought he looked a bit leaner but still one of the crookest rigs in the squad. Not a fitness thing necessarily, just a dodgy rig. Clearly saves his effort for match-day...

DEFENDERS
The forwards were up against the defenders in Darcy, Maynard, Shaz, Murphy, Howe, Mayne, Rough, Quaynor.
Quaynor very involved, looks a ready made player and has size. Could be a new Heath Shaw / Harrry O'Brien hybrid.
Maynard kicking was quality. Really improved over the past 2 years, worked hard and a key mover along with Crisp.
Some precision kicking from all of our backs.
Darcy moving beautifully, true athlete. Very vocal. Our most important recruit for 2019.

Stops / frees came from when players weren’t at their positions.
Longmuir demanding. Very big on asking players what their role is. Clear objective to ensure they understand.
Asking the defenders what they hate, make them nervous in the drills so as to make them accountable and think about their role in the team structure.
Really liked how he engaged with the players.

The defence delivered quick ball movement with precise long kicking to key targets. Materially improved on last year, players clearly engag in 'the system'. Keep body on opponent, be aware of your position.
Quaynor in everything.
Anton Tohill in defence beautiful leap, good hands and quick. Will be an education year, got caught out on the swing a few times but clearly has talent.
Mark Keane solid as well. Just don’t get him upset! Bit of ranga agro on display. Hope it’s not the Setanta DNA.
Buddha said they're going to be right those two, he has been really impressed with how they've settled in.
Will Kelly a good raw frame, taller than I expected, must be close to 200. Looks a confident natural footballer. We'll be seeing plenty of him in 2020. Has all the attributes for a long career.

MIDS
Didn't see as much action here either.
Beams looks like he never left.
Pendles as fine a specimen as we have on the track. Is in great nick.
I more or less viewed them as getting through the session as you'd expect, class acts.
Sier, the young bull, looking lean. Like Wells, better shape than last year and mirrored Tyler Brown in reflecting the benefits of another year in the system.
Treloar as above.

RUCKS
Grundy vs Rough. Brody another who looks in superb nick. Rough settling in well enough, contested well. Still looks like he's learning the role.
Adams not in main group early but doing quick laps, flying actually. Moving beautifully, looked as fit as a trout. Maybe dropped a few kilos. This bloke just sets the standard. Expect a big year from him.

A bit of technology on display with a drone taking plenty of footage. Spoke to operator, said it’s great to observe ground patters and coaches clearly value it.
Said they now need to register drone as AFP will shoot it down at Olympic park!

Overall, best depth I’ve seen since 2010/11 and playing group and staff that look connected. Bring on Round 1.

Last edited:

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Arrived on the Gold Coast post the drive from Brisbane, plenty of time to think what might be in 2019. Fizzing at the bunghole in anticipation of seeing the boys.
Walking from the Southport Sharks car-park to the ground I still get the same nervous energy as I did as a kid going to see players live. I envy those of you that can attend most weeks.

So the warm-up saw a madrigal of Magpies gathered and I was quickly scanning for my favourites as well as the newbies.

First up,Brodie all class. An old duck that would have seen Lou Richards train asked Brodie for a selfie just as they were starting training.
Said he didn’t think he’d be allowed to 'right now' but would love to afterwards. Was sincere and it made her day.

I moved around to the far side of the ground away from the main stand which thankfully was where a good deal of the action was and a bit of shade cast from the light towers.

REHAB GROUPS
Sidey - not sure what issue he has but was doing laps with Broomy & Appleby. None of them exerting themselves. The latter look a way off.
Appleby running past in the group asked what do they think was Jamie’s goal, Broomy said jokingly, retirement...(not funny Broomy)
That said Jamie was involved early then cut away from the groups to do sprint work through the square. Pink boots were flying. I reckon he looked in great nick. Was vocal out on the track when he joined the main groups.
Shaz, Reid & Dunne progressing well. Plenty of sharp turning work at speed in and around around the square in straight line and turning drills, very much put through their paces. I was surprised how well they've come on and I'd expect Reid and Dunn on balance to be pushing for inclusion in the 1st quarter of the season.

Treloar did 3 centre square / wing runs, looked to me to have left ham string tightness and was looking uncomfortable. Spent plenty of time talking to trainers. Shook his head a bit, clearly wasn’t right.
Round 1 doubt? Or just labouring in the heat as a few players were. I didn’t think it was hot as last year though.
Daics was noticeably quick on the centre square / wing sprint, has some toe and when in the main drills, was in firmly the action. Beautiful disposal.

Tyler Brown listed at 188 has grown past 190. Taller than Murphy who is listed at 190 (settle down you lot) Going really well according to one of the support staff. Expect a big year as he'll be pushing for starting 22 inclusion.

Thomas and Wells spent time one out for set shots, high percentage through the middle, classy finishers and our go to mids in this area. Wells looked in good nick,mclearlymahead of last year.

FORWARDS
JDG, Varcoe, Cox, Thomas, C Brown, Mihocek, Varcoe, Jamie (yes Jamie training!!) , Atu - about same size as Thomas.
Stepho looked uncomfortable in the heat, looked tired. Might have been too much birthday cake.
JDG not the greatest trainer. I thought he looked a bit leaner but still one of the crookest rigs in the squad. Not a fitness thing necessarily, just a dodgy rig. Clearly saves his effort for match-day...

DEFENDERS
The forwards were up against the defenders in Darcy, Maynard, Shaz, Murphy, Howe, Mayne, Rough, Quaynor.
Quaynor very involved, looks a ready made player and has size. Could be a new Heath Shaw / Harrry O'Brien hybrid.
Maynard kicking was quality. Really improved over the past 2 years, worked hard and a key mover along with Crisp.
Darcy moving beautifully, true athlete. Very vocal. Our most important recruit for 2019.

Longmuir demanding. Very big on asking players what there role is. Clear objective to ensure they understand.
Asking the defenders what they hate, make them nervous in the drills so as to make them accountable and think about their role in the team structure.

The defence delivered quick ball movement with precise long kicking to key targets. Materially improved on last year, players clearly engag in 'the system'. Keep body on opponent, be aware of your position.
Quaynor in everything.
Anton Tohill in defence beautiful leap, good hands and quick. Will be an education year, got caught out on the swing a few times but clearly has talent.
Mark Keane solid as well. Just don’t get him upset! Bit of ranga agro on display. Hope it’s not the Setanta DNA.
Buddha said there going to be right those two, he has been really impressed with how they settled in.
Will Kelly a good raw frame, taller than I expected, must be close to 200. Looks a confident natural footballer. We'll be seeing plenty of him in 2020. Has all the attributes for a long career.

MIDS
I more or less viewed them as getting through the session as you'd expect, class acts.
Sier, the young bull, looking lean. Like Wells, better shape than last year and mirrored Brown in reflecting the benefits of another year in the system.
Treloar as above.

RUCKS
Grundy vs Rough. Brody another who looks in superb nick. Rough settling in well enough, contested well. Still looks like he's learning the role.
Adams not in main group early but doing quick laps, flying actually. Moving beautifully, looked as Expect a big year from him. as a trout. Maybe dropped a few kilos. This bloke just sets the standard. Expect a big year from him.

A bit of technology on display with a drone taking plenty of footage. Spoke to operator, said it’s great to observe ground patters and coaches clearly value it.

Overall, best depth I’ve seen since 2010/11 and playing group and staff that look connected. Bring on Round 1.
Reported before Chrissy that Treloar has a calf issue. Thanks for the update!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who’s this McLearlymahead guy? What position does he play?
I’ve just learnt Bosenavulagi

:think:

Not ready for too much more.

Fantastic report. Thanks for all those insights. I imagine it's quite the thrill in seeing them, given not every day they come up to the coast. We down in Melbourne probably don't realise how lucky we are to go to many training sessions and games.

But much appreciated!

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

REHAB GROUPS

FORWARDS
JDG not the greatest trainer. I thought he looked a bit leaner but still one of the crookest rigs in the squad. Not a fitness thing necessarily, just a dodgy rig. Clearly saves his effort for match-day...

DEFENDERS

Longmuir demanding. Very big on asking players what there role is. Clear objective to ensure they understand.

Quaynor in everything.
Buddha said they're going to be right those two, he has been really impressed with how they've settled in.

MIDS
Sier, the young bull, looking lean. Like Wells, better shape than last year and mirrored Brown in reflecting the benefits of another year in the system.
Treloar as above.

RUCKS
Adams not in main group early but doing quick laps, flying actually. Moving beautifully, looked as Expect a big year from him. as a trout. Maybe dropped a few kilos. This bloke just sets the standard. Expect a big year from him.

That is a great review mate,you notice everything and mentioned most of it.Adams as you said was going at very fast clip and Crocker was at half rat power,Reid I thought looked as good as he has done for a good 3 or 4 seasons our kpp looking better than last season,I was quite impressed with Keane and thought there is something to work with.Thanks for the review it is very good.

Maggie51

Draftee
Jan 18, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

REHAB GROUPS

FORWARDS

DEFENDERS

Quaynor in everything.

MIDS
Treloar as above.

RUCKS

Gavin Brossisca

Senior List
Mar 20, 2013
Vic Park
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Ham United

REHAB GROUPS

FORWARDS

DEFENDERS

Quaynor in everything.

MIDS
Treloar as above.

RUCKS

Top notch, thanks for the effort!

Maggie51

Draftee
Jan 18, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for the excellent report. You mentioned Flynn Appleby "seemed a way off". Interesting. Just wondering if he had a problem as he has been training the house down in Melbourne. So far I have him on the bench for Rd 1. As for De Goey, I am wondering if they are looking after his shin problem as he doesn't always join in the full training down here either.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

REHAB GROUPS

FORWARDS

DEFENDERS

Quaynor in everything.

MIDS
Treloar as above.

RUCKS

Great review and much appreciated. Good to hear Crisp is back in training.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ted Parker you do reports in a very presidential style. Much appreciated.

Great work.

DERKADERRR

All Australian
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tyler Brown listed at 188 has grown past 190. Taller than Murphy who is listed at 190 (settle down you lot)
Here comes the new height s**t storm lol. These were the two players I thought could still have some growth left in them, as they were both 18 throughout the entire season.

Last pre season I went to a VFL practice match at the holden centre, Tyler and Max Lynch were two I was impressed with. The latter showed a real knack for contested marking, I wouldn't mind seeing him playing a bit more up forward next year at some point to see how he goes.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have a look at Bear.

He’s a big unit is our Sier.

7664EA2A-2EFB-479F-866C-A1DD5D2FEF23.jpeg

Here comes the new height s**t storm lol. These were the two players I thought could still have some growth left in them, as they were both 18 throughout the entire season.

Last pre season I went to a VFL practice match at the holden centre, Tyler and Max Lynch were two I was impressed with. The latter showed a real knack for contested marking, I wouldn't mind seeing him playing a bit more up forward next year at some point to see how he goes.
Tyler Brown, KPD. Lock it in!

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

REHAB GROUPS

FORWARDS
JDG not the greatest trainer although I thought he looked a bit leaner but still one of the crookest rigs in the squad. Not a fitness thing necessarily, just a dodgy rig. Clearly saves his effort for match-day...

DEFENDERS

Longmuir demanding. Very big on asking players what their role is. Clear objective to ensure they understand.

Quaynor in everything.

MIDS
Sier, the young bull, looking lean. Like Wells, better shape than last year and mirrored Tyler Brown in reflecting the benefits of another year in the system.
Treloar as above.

RUCKS
Adams not in main group early but doing quick laps, flying actually. Moving beautifully, looked as fit as a trout. Maybe dropped a few kilos. This bloke just sets the standard. Expect a big year from him.

Thanks mate!

Mukesh

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
Kalapathar, Havelock Island
AFL Club
Collingwood

REHAB GROUPS

FORWARDS

DEFENDERS

Quaynor in everything.

MIDS
Treloar as above.

RUCKS

Superb effort Ted..

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have heard through the grapevine that Lynch has worked really hard this off-season. Would be a great show of faith to be elevated to the senior list next trade period. This would probably require a number of retirements to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back