Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling Treloar and Elliott are not NFL fans, particularly Elliott, so doubt the Super Bowl is the reason. Not sure though.

As for Darcy, the clip of the match sim the Pies have compiled shows Moore and I think Mayne having a sort of collision, could be that?

Mayne is claiming some scalps after sidelining Quaynor from full training due to a collision on the Gold Coast. He's taking them down one by one.

Mayne is claiming some scalps after sidelining Quaynor from full training due to a collision on the Gold Coast. He's taking them down one by one.
I have to admire his absolute dedication to make sure he gets in the 22.

Just train them into submission, so to speak.

Did anyone go to the training today? If so what is the latest?
DeGoey was there but they covered his remaining leg with a blanket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok sorry just saw them on the news and there were a few people watching but hopefully a good hit out from the boys tomorrow 🤗🤗

Any update from the training today? Bit annoying that there is no intra club match this year instead we are playing Melbourne in a scratch match.

Friday 8 Feb

Feature : 4Q Full Match Sim

I arrived at 10am, having not intended to attend, but seizing an opportunity when it arose.
The boys were well on their way when I arrived accordingly.

Drill 1
Initially doing some keeping off work in the Group closest to me. Bit of forward pressure work
Had some scenario training behind it though. "Assume we're 2 points up and have 90sec to play"

Drill 2
With AFL umpire participation, play commenced with a kick out by either Moore or Maynard.
This was designed to test the new kick out rules, our transition out of defence and our forward pressure but was ran the full length of the ground.
Exercise was repeated between the black team vs white team, but Moore and Maynard swapped sides, in order to still be responsible for kicking out on all occasions.

4Q Match simulation
Black vs White team

Top of my head Blacks included - Lynch, Adams, Sier, Treloar, Thomas, Cox, Phillips, Murphy, Quaynor, Cal Brown, Mihocek
Whites - Roughead, Pendles, Sidebottom, Moore, Greenwood, Maynard, Langdon, De Goey, Tyler Brown, Josh Daicos, Reid

Non participants
Crisp, Kelly vigorous half laps together for the early part of training
Dunn took it pretty easy with half laps,
Schaz, Broomy little bit of running together
Grundy repeat half laps/laps. I'd think he's probably back into it next week
Wells - walking slow laps with Brent Macaffer
All of these players were largely done by the time match sim started except Grundy
Absent from the track - Howe (but in coaches box with knee bandage), WHE, Beams

Notable elements
De Goey played half the game and predominantly in the middle
Reid played half the game up forward. Hit the post twice in a row
Most other players played the full 4Q except Tohill, who came off in the 3rd with a bloodied nose (not from Keane either!)
Wills up forward. Did some nice things but kicking often lets him down
Lynch rucked all day. Roughead his main opponent but some time against Cox
Moore played up forward for a quarter, but 3Q down back where he was dominant again
Sier spent a quarter up forward, rather than in the guts
I thought Tyler Brown did some nice work.
Elliott maybe played 3Q
Observers in different capacities - Hawks coaches Scott Burns, Sam Mitchell, Adem Yze (entire training), Brodie Holland, Mark Stephens, Mitch Cleary

Defenders
Quaynor does some nice things and also did kicking out for his team
Moore the most dominant defender, particularly in the air
Murphy showed real courage on a couple of occasions to make spoils
Aish and Greenwood showed some dash off HB
Langdon gave away a couple of free kicks for holding but was used quite a bit to move the ball around
Roughead is a useful spoiler, matched up against Cox for some time

Mids
Tay, Pendles, Treloar, Sidebottom, Phillips were all notable. Phillips definitely one of the consistently better trainers in match sim.
Tyler Brown did a couple of nice things - pick upon the run and moving through congestion

Forwards
Thought Elliott was the most dangerous looking forward today. I really think he should be in Rd 1
Thomas also did some nice things and got on the end of a couple of bits of play for goals
Wasn't great marking conditions today as the ball was a bit wet early on in the session. Not easy for bigger guys to clunk them. Cox emerged more as the ground dried out.

Lots of interest for Round 1 in terms of competition amongst
Smaller Forwards - Thomas, Varcoe, Stephenson, Elliott
Medium/smaller backs - Quaynor, Aish, Greenwood, Maynard, Murphy

I still think Crisp will be touch and go, Howe might not be fit again by then, despite his earlier optimism Dunn won't make it for Rd 1.

Some really capable players are going to be spending a fair bit of time in our VFL team this season

Any update from the training today? Bit annoying that there is no intra club match this year instead we are playing Melbourne in a scratch match.

Timing at 10am against Melbourne may be frustrating to those who can't attend.
Hit out will be beneficial against Melbourne though and more of an insight about our likely Rd 1 team and positions we intend to use players.
We play intra-clubs each week on Monday and Friday at training effectively, so I can see why they may be abandoning the Intra Club exercise in the evening.

That's a good summation. Most notable improver to me is Tyler Brown, who looks much better playing around the ball than on the half back/forward line. Also that's the fittest I've seen Darcy Moore today. If he can keep that up there's no reason to believe that Darcy can't get through a full AFL senior match. His position now is as a full back where he can punch or mark. If Roughead does get into the first match of the season it's difficult to see where he plays if Moore is at full back. Roughead was also good out there today but mainly as a ruckman who can go down forward. Regarding comments about Crisp he was one of the rehab group before the match sims. He's looking good as well. There's no reason that he can't get himself up for the first game without much match practice because he does so much work on the field which you get playing senior games of footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back