Are Port Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

How can you say you aren't? Port supporters need to get a grip on reality, they aint the Hawks or even Geelong of the last 10 years. Adelaide has made as many prelims as Port since the 2007 GF.

This isn't Bay13. Who gives a s**t if Adelaide have made as many prelims as Port since 2007? What does that have to do with the thread? I think Port supporters do have a grip on reality. Have not seen one person say they are the Hawthorn/Geelong of the last 10 years.

Adelaide fans should be banned from posting about Port in serious threads on the main board and vice versa. Would spare the rest of us from "well Adelaide did that too!!" etc

The media have over rated them but the players are hungry enough to not let bullshit get in the way.
We never did get that key forward we lacked all year to help out Sculz.No one knows what Ryders future holds either.

Their reserves side made the SANFL grand final, that suggests depth is pretty good.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk
I will get shot down by other Port supporters but we do lack depth and there is a divide bigger than the Grand canyon from the AFL to the SANFL.Same would go for the vic teams and VFL too mind you.

How can you say you aren't? Port supporters need to get a grip on reality, they aint the Hawks or even Geelong of the last 10 years. Adelaide has made as many prelims as Port since the 2007 GF.

Jealous?

We have a future, a strong future, deal with it.

I will get shot down by other Port supporters but we do lack depth and there is a divide bigger than the Grand canyon from the AFL to the SANFL.Same would go for the vic teams and VFL too mind you.
Depth is young not lacking for talent

This isn't Bay13. Who gives a s**t if Adelaide have made as many prelims as Port since 2007? What does that have to do with the thread? I think Port supporters do have a grip on reality. Have not seen one person say they are the Hawthorn/Geelong of the last 10 years.

Adelaide fans should be banned from posting about Port in serious threads on the main board and vice versa. Would spare the rest of us from "well Adelaide did that too!!" etc

I'm a huge advocate for the banning idea so I don't have to read a dumb s**t fight every second thread.

Anyway, I think people are underrating our depth but overrating how potent we will be next year. There's one key place that I'm worried in depth, and we saw that exposed this year when Trengove and Carlile came out - with Trengove being our second ruck it made things even worse. We were insanely ****ed in the ruck department for a majority of this year as well and managed to make it to a prelim. I think Shaw is ready to replace Schulz in 2015 if he goes down. Besides that, at some point this entire year we've been having players go out injured and managed to patch it up pretty well (excluding again the s**t slump where we lost two tall defenders) but yeah, we definitely need to top up on ruck stocks and taller defenders (or actually give Tom Clurey an opportunity).

The depth thing, well I think every team struggles with it. Port struggled when their CHB and FB were out. Freo lost their key backs and guess what, they didn't make the prelims. Port beating Hawthorn in the minor round, well all Hawks supporters put an asterix next to that one because they had key players out. You see what I'm getting at? When any team has key players out, they aren't as good and are more likely to lose. i will restate it again, in every single one of Port's loses this year, they were still in the game right up until the end of the match. There was not 1 single Port loss where the game was over at 3 quarter time. Port's biggest defeat for the year was 26 points. Even Port's s**t football is competitive.

Who cares if we have form slumps in the home and away games. Yes it may have helped to make top 4 but In the past two years we have played great finals footy. It is obvious essendon and kangaroos supporters think they are better than us, but so did richmond supporters before they played us in a finals. We never got flogged, and everyteam that beat us gave everything they had. Ben jacobs and chaplin celebrated like they won the ******* premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of the "up and coming" teams trying to push out Hawthorn/Sydney/Geelong/Freo from the top 4, they're the only one of Port/North/Richmond/Adelaide/GC/Essendon* that I would be willing to pencil in a flag for over the next 3-5 years.

They really worry me when we play them (and we saw why in the PF).
Mate - Anzac Day at Adelaide Oval will be an early candidate for game of the year: will be an absolute ripper.

Zero depth will kill em.

Glad we have the Essendon fans jumping on board the Adelaide fans hatred of Port :)

We didn't have a golden run with injuries either... we had 1 ruckmen all year, our 2 best defenders had (relatively) long term injuries, our midfielders didn't stop hurting their ankles... Monfries could hardly get a consistent run...

Glad we have the Essendon fans jumping on board the Adelaide fans hatred of Port :)

We didn't have a golden run with injuries either... we had 1 ruckmen all year, our 2 best defenders had (relatively) long term injuries, our midfielders didn't stop hurting their ankles... Monfries could hardly get a consistent run...

I don't hate Port at all, I hate Koch! And of the top 6 teams you had the best run re injuries.

Relatively long? Wasn't it 3 weeks?
Gus was probably the only guy who had a fairly interrupted season, To me this spells great injury run.

I'm happy to be proven wrong re depth, Port fans give me your depth in each position.

I think port deserve to be respected for how they've turned their club around over such a short period of time.

They are heading places and have excellent coaches, staff and I think their players have massive respect for the coach where other teams don't have (*cough *cough)

Why shouldn't we rate them to be better next year? Very young list but they have this "belief" about them

I don't hate Port at all, I hate Koch! And of the top 6 teams you had the best run re injuries.

Relatively long? Wasn't it 3 weeks?
Gus was probably the only guy who had a fairly interrupted season, To me this spells great injury run.

I'm happy to be proven wrong re depth, Port fans give me your depth in each position.
If Koch was at Essendon, I'm sure you'd think differently. He's been awesome for our club, and has given Port a lot of national exposure which was lacking previously.

I think some people assume that this Port Adelaide team can't improve any more, which I think is a fallacy. For example, just wait until Ollie Wines grows up. Voss will do wonders with that midfield: it's gonna be damn exciting!!!!!

They could very well win the flag next year, or they could pull an Adelaide of 2013 situation and stuff it up. In my opinion, all it will take for port to drop away is an injury to a key player at the wrong time(Trengove,Boak,Gray, Schulz).If they keep the list healthy around finals next year, they could go all the way.

They could very well win the flag next year, or they could pull an Adelaide of 2013 situation and stuff it up. In my opinion, all it will take for port to drop away is an injury to a key player at the wrong time(Trengove,Boak,Gray, Schulz).If they keep the list healthy around finals next year, they could go all the way.
If we lose one of our best players, the obviously we will be a worse side. But we are never one player away. If we lost one of either of the players you mentioned, we'll still be right up there imo.

If boak goes out for a chunk of the year for example, it will hurt, but not all is lost. Our midfield bats deep and we can cover the loss of any one player.

Unnecessary post from OP, who it comes as no surprise is a North fan.

Port are young, have talent through every line, and play an exciting brand of footy.

This whole things reeks of a desperate North fan looking for someone to tell him his team matters.

If you'd be so kind, I'd like you to give us a run down of which supporters can post on which teams. Thanks.

Are they so likable because they were so s**t for 5 years, and this has caught everyone by surprise? And I guess Aussies always love the rags to riches story. Port always had the cattle there onfield, they just finally got off field right. It's not hard to show such massive improvements when the base was astronomically low.

Such a bitter man. Port are well and truly capable of winning multiple premiership in the next 5-6 years. Crows will be lucky to make the 8 in the meantime. Just accept it and move on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back