Society & Culture As a kid, what did you want to be 'when I grow up'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Superb :D:thumbsu:

Can I ask you why you ended up hating it? I'm early into my acct degree and still like hearing peoples' opinions on the course and the field.

I had a similar experience to Tex, finished a commerce/accounting degree, got really, really bored with it and ended up working in a meatpackers. I could do it pretty easily but just found it really tedious (so now I'm doing Law, which I do really enjoy which I'm glad about, because a lot of people told me that I will probably drop out due to how bad Law can be for certain people).

If you enjoy accounting then awesome for you, it's a solid job, I went about 2 years before I realised I really didn't enjoy doing it constantly.

As a kid I wanted to be firstly a mechanic with all the neighbourhood kids, then a bulldozer driver and then a diplomat/lawyer. The lawyer thing looks like happening, doubt the diplomat thing will happen.

Of course I always wanted to be a pro sportsman, I still dream about kicking the winning goal in a grand final and the elaborate celebrations I would perform. :(

Of course I always wanted to be a pro sportsman, I still dream about kicking the winning goal in a grand final and the elaborate celebrations I would perform. :(

Yeah, the celebrations I would perform if a successful pro sportsman... I'd be sacked by season's end.

When I hit my first 50 in senior cricket, by the end of my celebrations there were gloves, pads, a bat and a helmet in all different parts of the field.

If the opposing team knew how long I had been battling to hit that first half-ton, they wouldn't have stood there so shocked by my reaction to reaching the fifty.

:eek:

Yeah, the celebrations I would perform if a successful pro sportsman... I'd be sacked by season's end.

When I hit my first 50 in senior cricket, by the end of my celebrations there were gloves, pads, a bat and a helmet in all different parts of the field.

If the opposing team knew how long I had been battling to hit that first half-ton, they wouldn't have stood there so shocked by my reaction to reaching the fifty.

Took me 27 overs to hit my first 50. Mind you, it was under 14's and the game only laster 50 overs. :eek:

For a while, it was writing. Then journalism. Then through year 12 I just needed a break, wasn't prepared to drop into 4 years of Uni.

I'm considering it now though, I'd be 26 with a 3yr course at the end of it. Not too young at all to start writing.

But right now it's film, producing, directing, writing etc. Looking at a 6 month, part time screenwriting TAFE course. I can't commit to a Uni degree yet, so I'm taking this because it interests me, plus I'll find out if I have the stomach to study again.

Above all I don't care how much money I make, I just want to be happy. To enjoy my life.

Some of us can only dream of hitting 50s, most of the time i dont get the chance because i get run out by fellow opener... Who then went on to hit a 50

Professional footballer (WAFL, VFL then AFL).

Had the skills *ahem!*, the build, the self-belief and confidence....but at the age when I needed to be ready (17/18), I just wasn't suited to big-city living plus I got a bit more into smoking marijuana at the time.

So it didn't happen, got overlooked or not even considered seriously by whoever.

Regrets? Looking back, it would have been nice, but about 2 or 3 years after I realised the dream was over, I met the love of my life who I wouldn't have met had I realised my dream. Had a wonderful 17 years with her.

Also, I don't have a battle-worn body that a lot of post-professional footballers my age seem to live with these days, and my playing style was/is fearless, kamikaze-like, hard-at-the-ball*, etc.

So I like to think I've had a good life with what I've done with it. Eventually found a line of work that keeps me happy, that's all you can ask for, I suppose.

*Not rompingwins, just a football tough guy on the Internet...:D

I dreamt of playing for Arsenal and Fremantle. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.

I've been into writing and English since the start of high school. I'm just into art and culture and writing. I don't think that will ever change.

I now dream about being in some moderately successful 'indie' band, despite not playing any instrument...

Professional tennis player for me.

Was spotted in a popular under 10 tournament to be part of a tennis academy at Melbourne Park. Hit the ball 3/4 times a week right up until about 14. Did decently in ranking points in tournaments here in VIC, however didn't have the money to travel around AUS to chase points and my diet was all over the place which also prevented me from reaching my best.

Did tennis coaching for 2 years from 16 to 18, quit it last year. Easy work but just got sick of the nagging/protective parents and the problem children, some parents let their kids get away with absolute murder. Have been asked to coach again though recently, may take it up later this year at a different club; new surroundings could work wonders.

Doing a Law/Bus degree at the moment, hoping to practice initially at a firm and then a couple of years later switch over to a Sports Management path. If the money is super though and I am enjoying what I start off doing, some civil stuff, I may not make the switch relatively quickly and continue for however long. That's the plan at present, but we'll see what happens. :thumbsu:

Really good mate of mine is a tennis coach, does the private school scene in the inner south east suburbs and makes a killing, a lot of cash in hand. He was offered and accepted a job in Singapore to privately coach a wealthy blokes son. Brilliant salary, all of essentials taken care of (food, rent etc) what he earnt was purely disposable, great at the time as I was living over there as well......
He quit after 3 months as he just could not handle the kid (who actually was quite good, just a spoilt ill tempered s**t).

Me, paleontology. Just loved dinosaurs as a kid and still have a fascination with them. Hell I'm on a great wicket now, in demand skill set, own our house outright etc etc yet if there was a Jurassic park I'd quit and become the toilet cleaner there, I wouldn't even care if the dino's broke out, I'd still be there scrubbing away :)

As a kid i always wanted to be a secret agent spy, repelling down buildings, collecting data and using all sorts of gadgets, you could say i wanted to be Sam Fisher from SplinterCell, it was my biggest dream growing up.

Also, another dream, like many other kids, was to play AFL.

An actor.

Was cast in lead roles the whole of Primary School and loved it and then my perception changed through High School and I always associated drama with dweebs and pretentious types. I always regretted that.

Would still like to be involved with theatre one day; just haven't got round to looking into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All weekend playing video games led me to believe I could work for nintendo.

Apart from that I had no idea, didn't like school and didn’t have the grades for uni. Getting told I would be a failure if I didn’t go to uni by my parents really s**t me. Honestly did not have a clue on what I should do with my life. One thing I did know was I only wanted work to earn money, not for a passion to succeed. Ended up becoming a draftsman and as luck would have it, we get a mining boom and now I earn way more than my uni friends and only work half the year.

Guess life turned out ok.

An actor.

Was cast in lead roles the whole of Primary School and loved it and then my perception changed through High School and I always associated drama with dweebs and pretentious types. I always regretted that.

Would still like to be involved with theatre one day; just haven't got round to looking into it.

Go for it, bro. I'm sure there's something you could be involved in.

wanted to play football. for any AFL team. Then in highschool toyed with the idea of law, but only got enough ENTER for teaching. find myself now a singer/songwriter/guitar player. 5th indi record about to release. Funny thing is people think it must have been a lifelong dream to want to be a touring musician, yet i just really fell into it to be completely honest... Would give it all up too if the Cats would draft me...

When we were checking the job guides in school i thought being an Optometrist would be a sweet easy way to make good money. Flicked to the page and read you needed good grades in Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths. Maths and Bioi was good at but was useless in Chem and Physics so dream = crushed before it even really began.

I never really had a career dream as a kid, even when we had to do those "when I grow up" type questions/games. In year 11 now, and still have no idea.

I never really had a career dream as a kid, even when we had to do those "when I grow up" type questions/games. In year 11 now, and still have no idea.

That's what happened to me, through-out school i never really had an idea on what i wanted to do, got to year 11-12, still nothing, but then you just go for something, anything, a trade, Uni, you'll go for something and it'll work out, did for me.

In year 10 at the moment.

Gave away the dream of playing footy ages ago. Realised I will never be good enough and my build is probably better suited to basketball.

Right now I dream of making the NBA. Not sure how realistic it is but I plan on working very hard in the next three years to make it happen.

As for non sport careers I have no clue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back