News Assistant coach changes for 2018... BUMPED p42, now discussing potential 2019 promotions to other clubs

How do you rate our assistant coaching changes for 2018?

• 5. Outstanding

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 4. Very good

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • 3. Good (we could have done worse)

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • 2. Fair (we could have done better)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • 1. Poor

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've restructured their responsibilities (ball movement, team defence, etc)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I like that we've spilt the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • I don't like that we've split the midfield role into transition and stoppages

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, he was a member of your coaching panel up until the end of last year. But you knew that. :)

Thank you
I thought Ben Hart did a pretty good job with our defenders up until 2016, when we implemented a Zone defence and we fell apart. Guessing he was either doing as he was told, but didn’t believe in what he was being told to oversee (based on his interview his year where he said Bucks was very strong on how he wanted the game played i.e Hart didn’t agree); or just failed to communicate the game plan to our defenders effectively.

I thought Ben Hart did a pretty good job with our defenders up until 2016, when we implemented a Zone defence and we fell apart. Guessing he was either doing as he was told, but didn’t believe in what he was being told to oversee (based on his interview his year where he said Bucks was very strong on how he wanted the game played i.e Hart didn’t agree); or just failed to communicate the game plan to our defenders effectively.
Thanks

A quick question. Ben Hart was with you guys for 5 years. Was curious why he was moved on? Was it a normal panel change? To make room for other coaches? Or was he poorly regarded?

Seems he has just been appointed to our panel now.

Can't comment on how he was regarded by fellow coaches and players but from the outside seemed okay. Was just the club looking for the right mix going forward. Had a few things to say on the way out which is not the type of thing you want or expect from professionals.

Can't comment on how he was regarded by fellow coaches and players but from the outside seemed okay. Was just the club looking for the right mix going forward. Had a few things to say on the way out which is not the type of thing you want or expect from professionals.
Thanks

A quick question. Ben Hart was with you guys for 5 years. Was curious why he was moved on? Was it a normal panel change? To make room for other coaches? Or was he poorly regarded?

Seems he has just been appointed to our panel now.

Our defence improved out of site this year after Hart left. Robert Harvey replaced him as defensive coach having previously been in charge of our midfield.

I feel that improvement was as much about having better kicks of the footy as anything else because we weren't putting ourselves under as much pressure when exiting the defensive 50. And in turn placing that pressure back on the defence if/when turning it over. The swap of Dunn for Brown at full back is a classic example; replacing a shaky kick with an incisive one. We were better able to move the ball more productively forward.

Hart didn't have the benefit of that, but was that in part his fault? Not picking the right players or implementing the right structures for ball movement and transition. Or was that a head coach/MC issue? It's hard to say but a bit of both perhaps.

I'm also struggling to think of many defenders that had a real breakout under Hart. But we also have had questionable player development appointments over his time with us (cronyism). Howe maybe in Harts final year.

Given the improvement we had after Hart left, and also the nasty clip he gave Bucks on the way out, I reckon you'll get a few who are dark on his time at the Pies.

Our defence improved out of site this year after Hart left. Robert Harvey replaced him as defensive coach having previously been in charge of our midfield.

I feel that improvement was as much about having better kicks of the footy as anything else because we weren't putting ourselves under as much pressure when exiting the defensive 50. And in turn placing that pressure back on the defence if/when turning it over. The swap of Dunn for Brown at full back is a classic example; replacing a shaky kick with an incisive one. We were better able to move the ball more productively forward.

Hart didn't have the benefit of that, but was that in part his fault? Not picking the right players or implementing the right structures for ball movement and transition. Or was that a head coach/MC issue? It's hard to say but a bit of both perhaps.

I'm also struggling to think of many defenders that had a real breakout under Hart. But we also have had questionable player development appointments over his time with us (cronyism). Howe maybe in Harts final year.

Given the improvement we had after Hart left, and also the nasty clip he gave Bucks on the way out, I reckon you'll get a few who are dark on his time at the Pies.
Thanks

Pies Ruck Coach maybe?????

GWS
Greater Western Sydney ruckman Shane Mumford announces his retirement
BEN HORNE, The Daily Telegraph
17 minutes ago
AN emotional Shane Mumford has confirmed his AFL retirement and revealed he will transition straight into a ruck coaching role at the GWS Giants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that hurts with this is the timing, this is at best case minorly unexpected so I doubt we have prepared. All the best assistant coaches would already be signed up with the new deadlines. If we lost both Harvey and Longmuir it’s two new cats coming in unless we take some of the old coaches

Justin Longmuir very impressive guy.

Looks good too so helps the presentation for the club.

He’ll be a senior coach you’d think so it’s inevitable.

Be nice if it’s after finals.

But does Collingwood ever have that kind of luck?

Our backline has improved so much since 2017 and we didnt really bring in anyone new other than Roughy this year.. it's all been improvement from within. Reckon he will be a very big loss, our backline performs almost every week when often the midfield and forward line dont !

Back