Coach Assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

At the start of the year I was up for bringing in Woosh as a mentor but I'm liking the idea less and less. Or having anyone coming in as coaching mentor/director of coaching for that matter. I don't think JLo needs anyone looking over his shoulder potentially undermining his decisions.

Just a traditional setup with the head coach running solo and delegating responsibilities to a raft of good assistants is ideal IMO. So I'd much rather Solomon or another highly rated assistant, although if Woosha is happy at this point of his career to pull back to a pure assistant/development role and is not involved in decision making, that still might be a good option.

Not saying Woosha is necessarily the person for the job, but people realise that Jlo's real test will come when he's actually got expectations on him to make finals, win games etc? Seem's to be the prevailing opinion that because he's handled this year well (which was was extremely unique mind you) that it's all smooth sailing from here out :think:

Not saying Woosha is necessarily the person for the job, but people realise that Jlo's real test will come when he's actually got expectations on him to make finals, win games etc? Seem's to be the prevailing opinion that because he's handled this year well (which was was extremely unique mind you) that it's all smooth sailing from here out :think:
Don't we have Bell to insulate him from all that if required? In my experience if you've got someone with a brilliant brain like JLo you don't bombard them with guidance, you give them a clear expectation, give them the resources they need and then get out of the way and let them get to work.

Have to admit, I was all aboard this Worsefold train earlier in the year but you do get the feel he would just muddy what JL is trying to accomplish.

I wouldnt judge him too harshly on what Essendon are putting out, that's not on him.

If they still had a specific "senior assistant" role I'd be happy for him to take that up but not sure if he is the best fit anywhere else

Like that in the past he has been appointed in a mentoring role to both the players and the coaches. Love that he has a sports science back ground.
He also seemed to be a coach in the mould of Fagan and Bevereage - they both seem to loo after the player as a whole person and not just focus on the on ground aspects. In my mind woosha is culpable for the lax culture of a very successful eagles lineup

Like that in the past he has been appointed in a mentoring role to both the players and the coaches. Love that he has a sports science back ground.
He also seemed to be a coach in the mould of Fagan and Bevereage - they both seem to loo after the player as a whole person and not just focus on the on ground aspects. In my mind woosha is culpable for the lax culture of a very successful eagles lineup

Thanks. I didn't even know what he's been doing over the last few years but looked it up and he's been around a bit since Adelaide. None of the clubs that he's been at have been particularly successful. But I note that he's in England helping Eddie Jones for the last 3 years which is high praise.

You could be right about him being better than Woosha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Garlic is having a crack at someone like Dale Morris.

Not sure if he will come but Todd Curley from South Fremantle is a likely get.

Dale Morris what an outstanding character that would be to be around the group 👍🏻.

Who else? Solomon? I know Michael Barlow has done some assistant coaching under Mark Williams in the VFL would he be up to doing it?

I've mentioned this before, and I know it's a bit of a random suggestion - but I would love to bring in Sam Reid from GWS after his playing career. Did a lot of developmental work for GWS at AFL and NEAFL level. He has a very smart football brain and I think he'll have a much better career as a coach than a player (because of his injury history not playing ability).

I am excited and worried about who we try and get in over the break. I hope there are changes to the coaching panel.

I hope we can get an experienced assistant with premiership success at some point in their career or a retired player with a recent premiership to put pressure on JLO or succeed him in the future if he isn't successful.

I'm worried we'll get Curley or Solomon.

Whatever happens, I really hope that whoever comes in has a premiership in their CV and preferably has no Freo experience.

I want the best not another one of the boys.

Adelaide just poached Scott Burns as an assistant, this is the sort of signing we should be pursuing.
I strongly suspect Solomon was the one that leaked (pardon the pun) the photo of Dew urinating in public this week. We need that sort of petty vindictiveness like a hole in the head.

Always good to have a premiership coach in the box....even as an assistant. Anything to win the big dance especially for a coach that has not won one yet.

Adelaide just poached Scott Burns as an assistant, this is the sort of signing we should be pursuing.
I strongly suspect Solomon was the one that leaked (pardon the pun) the photo of Dew urinating in public this week. We need that sort of petty vindictiveness like a hole in the head.

or maybe his view was that the senior coach should be above that sort of example/behaviour of washing the wall with urine...may not have been vindictive at all:p

Dale Morris what an outstanding character that would be to be around the group 👍🏻.

Who else? Solomon? I know Michael Barlow has done some assistant coaching under Mark Williams in the VFL would he be up to doing it?

Was interesting the comment...I think it was Mark Harvey on his retirement from coaching...his rating Barlow as the most knowledgeable player of the game he had ever come across....has an understanding of it like no other.

I think I’d like to see Barlow coaching somewhere else for a bit first. He seems like the kind of guy who would want to be one of the boys and I don’t know that we need that in a coach.

Not the greatest article but some interesting thoughts about how the assistant coaching landscape is/may change...

Michael Barlow completed an executive certificate of player development 12 months ago and is the senior coach of Yarraville Football Club. His interests mix coaching, football operations and welfare together. He’s also a key member of the Simon Black academy and could play a role with the club’s Next Generation Academy prospects and talent identification.

Dale Morris remains a much-loved figure at the Dogs and was in his first year as a development coach this year. Those close to him say his people skills would make him an excellent recruiter and/or welfare officer. And he’d be able to offer some assistance on the training track too.

Leigh Montagna has been Fremantle’s opposition analyst for the past two seasons. Depending on his media responsibilities, the ex-Saint would be well equipped to watch underage football as a recruiter for the Dockers and work closely with David Walls on list management.

I reckon we are more likely to streamline our coaching ranks than add to them. Reckon webb. EastaUgh, read might join rock and prior.

Curley and maybe one other to come in. Soft cap reductions will result in coaching efficiencies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back