Coach Assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlick: CEO of Western Bulldogs 2010-2015. Then CEO of some hipster marketing firm in Melbourne.

Carr: Assistant at Port 2011-2015. Then senior coach in the SANFL from 2016-2019 (won a flag). He has more coaching experience than Hale and been a pro coach for the same number of years as Longmuir.

Boyd: Dev coach at Collingwood 2017-2020. Freo is his first Assistant job. But his third AFL club.

Murphy: had an off-field "leadership" role with the Bulldogs AFLW in 2020. Don't know what the title was and how it relates to the Freo job (and who knows exactly what this job is at Freo: "Head of Football Operations and High Performance"? I'd like to see a duty statement.)

So not a heap of experience. I thought there was mixed reviews on Carr - why did Port move him on?

Wiki has Garlick at four years and he left when Beveridge was appointed. I don't think any CEO would see four years a successful stint nor would it be how long they would have planned on being there when he started. This isn't a negative as such, more that I would read it as he left before he was pushed. It may benefit us in that he got other experience and came here.

Boyd - first assistant job, had other experience and could turn into a gun.

My point is that we are lacking experience in roles throughout the club. I am not saying the people in those roles should go... although Hale should. It is just an observation that club wide we are light on for experience.

So not a heap of experience. I thought there was mixed reviews on Carr - why did Port move him on?

Wiki has Garlick at four years and he left when Beveridge was appointed. I don't think any CEO would see four years a successful stint nor would it be how long they would have planned on being there when he started. This isn't a negative as such, more that I would read it as he left before he was pushed. It may benefit us in that he got other experience and came here.

Boyd - first assistant job, had other experience and could turn into a gun.

My point is that we are lacking experience in roles throughout the club. I am not saying the people in those roles should go... although Hale should. It is just an observation that club wide we are light on for experience.
One of the takeaways for me is that we can over value experience. Out that lot I would rate Carr as the least desirable appointment, even though he has the most experience.

On WAFL World on Sport FM, they were saying there is a lot of talk around Josh Carr potentially being new Peel coach and that the next one will most likely be coming from Freo.

One of the takeaways for me is that we can over value experience. Out that lot I would rate Carr as the least desirable appointment, even though he has the most experience.

Yes I agree on Carr which is why I am not valuing his experience.

While it can be overvalued going the other way can be just as bad. I am not asking for a heap of experience, but wouldn't mind a director of coaching for Justin and wouldn't mind someone in the General footy department that can help Bell etc.

One thing I like is we seem to be trying to get our work done early.

List changes were done quickly, Bob in and it looks like they have a plan for this position.

No idea what Graham is like, but he must be decent if he is getting interviewed for snr roles.

Besides hv8ng young kids, which make it difficult to move interstate (Hi, Lachie!) Bob Murphy is the last person I could have imagined leaving melbourne! 100% melbourne hipster. I mean, there’s freo, but ‘the coffee is better in melbourn, bob…’ I am very surprised. Why didnt he get something closer to home? I presume he’s moving here. Doesn’t sound like the kind of job you can do remotely.

Besides hv8ng young kids, which make it difficult to move interstate (Hi, Lachie!) Bob Murphy is the last person I could have imagined leaving melbourne! 100% melbourne hipster. I mean, there’s freo, but ‘the coffee is better in melbourn, bob…’ I am very surprised. Why didnt he get something closer to home? I presume he’s moving here. Doesn’t sound like the kind of job you can do remotely.
He’s moving here, he was talking about it today on SEN

I would guess that it’s the fancy job title and an unwarranted level of salary that got him. He has essentially been gifted a highly paid internship at an AFL club. Plus he’s got a few mates at Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this left field idea, fills me with temporary optimism until the reality sinks in and the world comes crashing down midway through the following season.

But seriously, has Murphy had any involvement with a club since he retired, or just media duties? Seems like he'll make the move west.
Involved with the bulldogs aflw team before this I believe.

He does bring a harder edge and attitude to the mix though, which tempers the warm fuzzies a bit. Balance is always necessary.

That was Subiaco, I could do that!

Carr took the team from bottom of the ladder to winning the premiership the following year!
My point is the state league success means little when most quality Assistants never set foot in the State leagues.

Carr hasn't performed as an Assistant at either Port or Freo and is lucky to have a job at AFL level.

Carr hasn't performed as an Assistant at either Port or Freo and is lucky to have a job at AFL level.
How do you figure that? Port Adelaide's midfield were decent when he coached them. Surely we haven't forgotten them beating and eliminating us in the 2014 Semi?

I think the evidence points to Carr being a pretty good coach. A good person however? People can make their own judgements.

Cast your votes for Board MVP & Poster of the Year or so help me I'm gonna give Bob Murphy directions to get to Cockburn, and believe me when I say that I'm awful at giving directions. Just ask my wife.

bob it's time.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back