Hawthorn_v_Western_Bulldogs_-_31st_May_2008_181.jpg

Broke Ground: 1919
Opened: 1921
Owner: Launceston City Council
Operator: AFL Tasmania
Capacity: 21,000
Field Dimension: 175m x 145m

Would you like the honors?

I'm probably not the one to ask about Bellerive as I was never happy with it being developed in the first place. Although it is a very nice facility & its positioned in a very nice area next to the Bellerive beach, thats the problem. Its a bloody stupid place to put a stadium. God knows how bad access will be if/when it becomes a 20k stadium.
The sad loss was the failure to expand the North Hobart Oval when land was available back in the 1980's. Other than that the next best place would have been the Elwick showgrounds. With parking at the Race track & the Entertainment area, Next to the Brooker Highway, also access via the Bowen bridge & main road. It would have been a much more attractive proposition for the public. But that's that as they say. The pollies & TCA havent done us any favours with that one I'm afraid.

And people wonder why Tasmania as gone backwards...it's the politics of the state that has given us 2 mediocre stadiums left behind (North Hobart and KGV) and one world class facility that really can't be expanded any more!

The problem with Hobart is for a small city it's relatively well spread out and can take over half an hour with traffic to get to Bellerive Oval and people just don't bother - well some don't. Aurora Stadium is within 10 minutes of probably 60k people - most of the city - and it's easy to get out of if you just go by bus or park in the city. It is odd that the capital has a 15k stadium and the smaller city a 21k stadium.

The problem with Hobart is for a small city it's relatively well spread out and can take over half an hour with traffic to get to Bellerive Oval and people just don't bother - well some don't. Aurora Stadium is within 10 minutes of probably 60k people - most of the city - and it's easy to get out of if you just go by bus or park in the city. It is odd that the capital has a 15k stadium and the smaller city a 21k stadium.

Well that's just the politics of it though isn't it? Pollies trying to win seats up north is what caused it all.

Half an hour for traffic? Sounds like a dream for most Victorians going to the footy. Tasmanians won't have a bar of it though. It's a bit ridiculous.

Well that's just the politics of it though isn't it? Pollies trying to win seats up north is what caused it all.

Half an hour for traffic? Sounds like a dream for most Victorians going to the footy. Tasmanians won't have a bar of it though. It's a bit ridiculous.

IMO its not that it might take 1/2 hour to get to Bellerive, its the bloody bun fight to get near it & drive around for a park & then its another bun fight to get out of the area when any sort of crowd turns up. Thats the problem.
The beuty of living in a small city is that most things are close & its not too hard to get about the place. So yes we are spoiled in that regard.
As I've said before, Bellerive is a very nice ground, built in nice surrounds, next to a beach. A bloody stupid place to build a stadium.
I just cant imagine the traffic mess on those little streets if they build it up to a 20k stadium.:eek:

Well, if the hour it took to get out of the England game last year is any indication, yeah it won't be fun.

CT have said that they are looking to further utilise water transport to and from the venue which can only be a good thing.

IMO its not that it might take 1/2 hour to get to Bellerive, its the bloody bun fight to get near it & drive around for a park & then its another bun fight to get out of the area when any sort of crowd turns up. Thats the problem.
The beuty of living in a small city is that most things are close & its not too hard to get about the place. So yes we are spoiled in that regard.
As I've said before, Bellerive is a very nice ground, built in nice surrounds, next to a beach. A bloody stupid place to build a stadium.
I just cant imagine the traffic mess on those little streets if they build it up to a 20k stadium.:eek:

You're right in a sense. The police usually manage the traffic pretty well though. As soon as you've hit either the bridge, Eastlands or Shoreline (depending on which way you're going), it's fairly smooth.

A bit of a bump...

But Tassie media are today reporting a new naming rights sponsor for York Park in Tassie - from next season it will be known as University of Tasmania Stadium after Aurora didn't bid to extend their deal.

I thought UTAS would be a pretty inoffensive naming rights sponsor... turns out I was wrong. I should've predicted crazy tories whinging about universities entering into such sponsorship agreements while receiving public funding. In fairness to UTAS though, I believe they are still planning to develop the surrounding Inveresk precinct into the main Launceston campus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys,

Finding it quite difficult to find info about the seating at UTAS and where the dripline is..

We are travelling to Tas for the game v GWS with the little ones and thought to play it safe and book seats undercover but not sure which stand/where the dripline is?

Can anyone direct me where I can find this info?

Cheers :thumbsu:

Does anyone know if there has been new screens installed recently? They looked a lot bigger/clearer on the TV then what they did last time i was down there

Hey guys,

Finding it quite difficult to find info about the seating at UTAS and where the dripline is..

We are travelling to Tas for the game v GWS with the little ones and thought to play it safe and book seats undercover but not sure which stand/where the dripline is?

Can anyone direct me where I can find this info?

Cheers :thumbsu:
I know the seating at UTas.

The lecturer is up the front. Then the Asian students, then the rest of us dozey bastards up the back. Many others still in the Uni bar as they hate lectures. ;)

I know the seating at UTas.

The lecturer is up the front. Then the Asian students, then the rest of us dozey bastards up the back. Many others still in the Uni bar as they hate lectures. ;)

You've forgotten the mature age student who sits in the front row and thinks (wrongly) that dozens of people in a lecture theatre give a s**t about his irrelevant anecdotes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back