Aussies Aussie Watch - RIO 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit hard when the women's team didn't qualify for the first.time since 1988and neither did the men and under the rules only 1 female placed high enough to qualify for the artistic section. There is only 1 female rhythmic competitor and one male in the trampoline.

Tramampoline! Trambomboline!
200.gif

What a great day for the Aussie team. Thought both the Boomers and Opals were sensational too.
Yep the basketball teams performed very well. The Opals struggled early but the home team would have got plenty of energy from the home crowd. They eventually ground them down . The Boomers played bloody well all game. Pretty sure John Casey said that's the first time in 20 years we have won our first game. I don't think we have ever beaten France at Olympics and only did it in world champs a few decades ago.

Another bronze in the swimming, sort of disappointing (but at best we were only coming 2nd) but we were never going to beat the US in the relay. You can't be annoyed at coming 3rd at the Olympics. Good job team.

Another bronze in the swimming, sort of disappointing (but at best we were only coming 2nd) but we were never going to beat the US in the relay. You can't be annoyed at coming 3rd at the Olympics. Good job team.

Exactly. People spitting the dummy over a bronze medal is ridiculous, a bronze is nothing to be sneezed at :thumbsu: Biggest problem is people get sucked in by the media hype, if any Aussies even have a remote chance they will pump them up as potential gold medalists :rolleyes:

Exactly. People spitting the dummy over a bronze medal is ridiculous, a bronze is nothing to be sneezed at :thumbsu: Biggest problem is people get sucked in by the media hype, if any Aussies even have a remote chance they will pump them up as potential gold medalists :rolleyes:

People just think we will make up 3+ seconds in relays all the time. It is like the ridiculous claim to win 10 golds in the pool, it won't happen. It we win 50-60% of that figure we've done well. 3rd is a great achievement considering we missed a medal in 2012

Watched about 3/4 of the women take on the slalom course in the 2nd run of the K-1. Jess Fox was 14th after the first run and only 15 go onto the semis.

Gate 20 is a beauty. Its blood tough work to drop down get thru 19 and then get across the course to 20 and not pick up a penalty. I reckon I saw 5 women get a 50 pt penalty for missing the gate. Fox was very fast and clean and had the benefit of going last. She got a 2 pt penalty on the gate and was one of only 2 women to complete the course in under 100 seconds. She finished second in the second run and second overall. Thankfully the times as wiped for the semis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I understand the commentators correctly the Equestrian eventing comp is competing under the rules that were last in place in 1992 when they effectively gave 2 gold medals for 1 event, the team medals were calculated from the points scored by the top 3 of the 4 riders of a country and the individual medals went to the top 3 riders in the competition.

In 1992 Matt Ryan achieved that on Kibah Tic Toc winning individual and team gold. I was listening to the late great ABC broadcaster George Grljusich call that final when i was living in Sydney. It was a classic George call. I don't think I have ever heard a better name for a horse than Kibah Tic Toc - will remember that name for a long time. In 1996 if the rules hadn't changed Wendy Schaeffer riding the last day with a broken leg would have won 2 golds like Matt Ryan, but they did and she didn't compete in the individual event. Gillian Rolton in 1996 rode the last day with a broken collarbone and broken ribs to make sure she registered points so Australian team could win gold.

Anyway the event course was changed in 2004 down from 3 days to 2 days, so whats another change. After the dressage and cross country phase overnight Chris Burton is in the lead of a German competitor, thanks mainly to a clean cross country, and Australia leads the Kiwis, in the team comp, but there is only about a rail in it. Ie in the jumping comp tomorrow the 3 Aussie riders combined can only knock of 1 more rail than the 3 kiwi riders. So it could be double Gold to Burton tomorrow. Somehow I dont think I will remember his horses name in 2040.

If I understand the commentators correctly the Equestrian eventing comp is competing under the rules that were last in place in 1992 when they effectively gave 2 gold medals for 1 event, the team medals were calculated from the points scored by the top 3 of the 4 riders of a country and the individual medals went to the top 3 riders in the competition.

??? I believe the individual gold has always been awarded that way - Hoy won silver in Sydney

??? I believe the individual gold has always been awarded that way - Hoy won silver in Sydney
They changed to that system at some point (believe 1988), previously the 3 day event was separate to the teams.

Burton will be massive favourite to win now and the parring with this horse will see the two at the next Olympics as well all things going well as the horse is only 9 (have to be 8 to compete in the Olympics)

Nope they changed the rules after 1992 Olympics saying you cant win 2 golds from 1 single event. But they have gone back to the pre 1996 rules because of restriction on numbers and scheduling issues.

They ran the Team and the Individual Events separately so two runs at it basically. This year as per 1992 and earlier they are deciding the Individual results off the scores from the Team Event and just one shot at both.

If you click through the wiki it says the individual event also counted towards the team event. Click on details under 2008 Beijing for example

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there is only ever one cross country run at any Olympics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back