El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
64Dql2P.png

Welcome to the Australian Cricket Premiership!

The Australian Cricket Premiership is a club based first class cricket competition. Competitors will design a cricket club based in an Australian city, town or suburb from the ground up, with an emphasis on history and tradition. We want it to feel like these clubs have been around for 100 years, as opposed to big bash style franchises. I am fine with someone using the name of an existing suburban cricket club (say, the Melbourne Cricket Club or Western Suburbs Cricket Club etc), but the club's design must be entirely new and distinct.

The tournament structure will consist of a round robin league and finals, depending on how many entries we end up with.

Competitors will submit 1 first class cricket uniform. That will consist of:

- A white polo style shirt and pants. The body and sleeves of the shirt must both be white. Just to make this clear, club colours and designs are absolutely allowed, but they must be minimal, as you'd expect on a test or Sheffield Shield uniform. If you're not sure if you're using too much colour, as me. I will allow cream to be used in place of white, however keep it pretty low saturation.

- A baggy style cricket cap in your club colours.

- An original club logo.

Your logo layout will be as follows:

d524SRQ.png

There are to be no sponsors (apart from the apparel manufacturer), player names or numbers on the kit. I will allow secondary logos etc as you see fit.

Remember, this competition is unashamedly about presentation. We're all designing mostly white shirts, after all. This board has had a strange relationship with templates over the years, with some people getting annoyed that they feel that they're getting beaten by slick templates and good presentation instead of the actual design on the kit. In the last couple of years, we seem to have gotten over that and people generally understand that presentation and attention to detail is just as important. So how do we relate that to this competition? How can you make your white uniform look the slickest? Attention to detail regarding the cut and trim of your kit is vital to give yourself a point of difference and to make your entry really eye catching. The skills you develop by solving this problem will carry over well to other competitions.

While i've asked for "bidding" in the thread title, there will be no bidding process. Just post the name of your club in this thread, and try to ensure that you don't use the same club name as someone who has posted before you. As soon as you've posted in this thread, get designing.

Entries to be sent to me via imgur link and PM no later than Sunday 8th of March.

Last edited:

Keen. Just so I can get the ball rolling, does anyone know any good fonts to use when making monograms? The ones with the classic serifs and all that.

Your best bet is to draw it up using the paintbrush in that style and then use the pen tool to do it cleanly. No font by itself will work perfectly.

Your best bet is to draw it up using the paintbrush in that style and then use the pen tool to do it cleanly. No font by itself will work perfectly.
Good idea. I had never thought of that! :)

Unsure if ill enter this comp. I dunno if ill have time around work to make a template and presentation that is up to scratch/I am 100% happy with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Keep those team announcements coming in!

This competition is all about lateral thinking and developing technical skills so if you have any template or presentation related questions, feel free to ask.

I'll put my name down for an Outer East team, though struggling to think of ideas that would help set me apart in this kind of comp.

It's a great design problem solving exercise! Good luck!

I haven't got a fully fleshed out idea yet, but I'll be entering the North Adelaide Cricket Club.

I'd love to see a few more announcements in this thread, come and have a go!

Vic
Melbourne Stars
Victoria Country Bushrangers
Geelong Renegades

NSW
Sydney Sixers
Canberra Thunder
Western State Blues

QLD
Brisbane Heat
North Queensland Bulls

WA
Perth Scorches
West Coast Warriors

SA
Southern Redbecks
Adelaide Strikes

Tas
Hobart Hurricanes
Launceston Tigers

NT
Northern State Comets (formerly ACT Comets)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic
Melbourne Stars
Geelong Renegades

NSW
Sydney Sixers
Canberra Thunder
Western State Blues

QLD
Brisbane Heat
North Queensland Bulls

WA
Perth Scorches
West Coast Warriors

SA
Southern Redbecks
Adelaide Strikes

Tas
Hobart Hurricanes
Launceston Tigers

NT
Last time I checked, I'm pretty sure Canberra isn't in New South Wales.

Vic
Melbourne Stars
Geelong Renegades

NSW
Sydney Sixers
Canberra Thunder
Western State Blues

QLD
Brisbane Heat
North Queensland Bulls

WA
Perth Scorches
West Coast Warriors

SA
Southern Redbecks
Adelaide Strikes

Tas
Hobart Hurricanes
Launceston Tigers

NT
Are you entering a team?

Vic
Melbourne Stars
Geelong Renegades

NSW
Sydney Sixers
Canberra Thunder
Western State Blues

QLD
Brisbane Heat
North Queensland Bulls

WA
Perth Scorches
West Coast Warriors

SA
Southern Redbecks
Adelaide Strikes

Tas
Hobart Hurricanes
Launceston Tigers

NT

Not quite sure you quite grasp the concept of this thread - this is a creative competition where we have to develop a team from scratch. :)

Just a note on what is required in your entry, as i'm putting mine together. I don't see a real need for entrants to display the rear side of their shirt if they don't want to, as for a lot of people it will just be a plain white polo shirt from the back. That said, you're more than welcome to do so if there is an aspect of your design that requires the back of the shirt to be displayed.

Hoping to see a few entries in this one. I'm finding it to be a really good exercise.

I'm doing a flat, vector based template, heavily inspired by one of my design heroes, Angelo Trofa. It's something I haven't really done before and it's testing my skills. I'd been using quarter angle realistic style templates for years and putting them together had become really trivial and lost a lot of its reward.

It's been great to challenge myself and learn something new, I hope everyone else is having as much fun with it as I am.

Yeah it definitely has been interesting coming up with ideas for my team. Your instinct is to make it as flashy as possible to make it stand out so this is a whole new ball game. Really liking what I've got so far so we will see how it turns out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back