Australian Democracy is Broken

Remove this Banner Ad

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
No one voted for Bob Carr, but now suddenly he is in parliament and the foreign minister of this country, presenting our views overseas. This is an extraordinary abuse of our democratic system. Australian democracy is broken and needs to be fixed. I'm not sure how we do this but something needs to be done.

What an absurd statement. I have no team in politics. But I am interested in preserving our democratic system.

No one voted for Bob Carr, but now suddenly he is in parliament and the foreign minister of this country, presenting our views overseas. This is an extraordinary abuse of our democratic system. Australian democracy is broken and needs to be fixed. I'm not sure how we do this but something needs to be done.

"Unrepresentative swill" - why don't we have one vote/one value for upper house - that way there would be fewer Western Australian Senators

Wasn't it broken when Sir Joh put Albert Field or whatever his name was into the Senate during the Whitlam Government, throwing away convention to always put someone from the same Party in?

How so? What's been done wrong here?

The Senate is unrepresentative but Labor are only doing what the Coalition would have done in the same position.

How so? What's been done wrong here?

He holds a significant portfolio in parliament without the endorsement of the Australian people. Democracy requires a vote. Bob Carr has never stood before the Australian people and told us what he stands for. He has no votes thus no legitimacy.

To be fair, it's not really like anyone really voted for Mark Arbib (or any of the Senate really with the exception of Xenophon).

I'd be shocked if the vast majority don't vote above the line or along party lines below the line.

The Senate is unrepresentative

That's not true. When you vote in the senate there are names against who you are voting for. If someone steps down from the senate there should be a new vote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He holds a significant portfolio in parliament without the endorsement of the Australian people. Democracy requires a vote. Bob Carr has never stood before the Australian people and told us what he stands for. He has no votes thus no legitimacy.
He is filling a senate vacancy. Once in the senate, he is entitled to hold a ministry. Under those circumstances he doesn't need a vote.

And he doesn't need to explain to the people what he stands for, as Foreign Minister he will simply be representing the foreign policy views of the government, which I would think are already known.

If the constitution requires otherwise, and something wrong has been done here, I would be pleased for you to point it out for me. I am hardly an expert in these matters.

"Preserving our democratic system"?

This is our democratic system.

You don't want to preserve the system, you want to change the system.

I'm not interested in debating you. You just want to make ad hominem attacks so piss off out of this thread thanks.

The Australian Constitution allows for casual senate vacancies to be filled by the pary represented via the relevant state premier.
It means that we do not need to go to a messy by-election just to fill a senate spot that would not make any real difference to the numbers.
You sound like your typical born-to-rule Fiberal having a cry becuase the Australian people rejected your mob :D

Sorry, but I can't let this one go.

You say want to preserve our democratic system.

This is our democratic system at work.

Indeed the casual vacancies section has been in the Constitution since kingdom come.

Whether it should have been substantially amended after 1975 is an argument worth having though.

He is filling a senate vacancy. Once in the senate, he is entitled to hold a ministry. Under those circumstances he doesn't need a vote.

And he doesn't need to explain to the people what he stands for, as Foreign Minister he will simply be representing the foreign policy views of the government, which I would think are already known.

If the constitution requires otherwise, and something wrong has been done here, I would be pleased for you to point it out for me. I am hardly an expert in these matters.

The problem is he is filling a senate vacancy without a vote. Worse still, he is becoming a minister without a vote. Yes, that is the way it currently works and I would call that broken democracy. There's no vote or legitimacy by the Australian people given to Bob Carr. Yes its the Australian system but it's not democracy, its something else.

I'm not interested in debating you. You just want to make ad hominem attacks so piss off out of this thread thanks.
Disputing what you say is hardly an attack.

I agree with him fwiw. This is how the system works.

You don't like it, that's fine.

The problem is he is filling a senate vacancy without a vote. Worse still, he is becoming a minister without a vote. Yes, that is the way it currently works and I would call that broken democracy. There's no vote or legitimacy by the Australian people given to Bob Carr. Yes its the Australian systen but it's not democracy, its something else.
Like mentioned earlier, go and do a bit of reading about Joh, particularly circa 1975.

:D

when people vote for the senate, they vote for the party rather than the individual as with the house of reps.
A casual vacancy came up and the Government was within their rights to appoint who ever they deemed fit to fill that spot.
Only the 'born-to-rule' Fiberals ( and the OO) are crying over this, and thats only becuase they have been snookered by Prime Minister Gillard

That's not true. When you vote in the senate there are names against who you are voting for. If someone steps down from the senate there should be a new vote.
99% of voters vote above the line, when voting for the senate.
only the 'born-to-rule' Fiberals have suddenly got a problem with that

BTW I am not a liberal voter, although I could be at the next election, not that it should make any difference to this topic. I guess more people are interested in discussing me than discussing the topic :D

Its certainly a legit topic. It was even brought up on Q&A by the guy who used to work for Rudd, I forget his name. The very definition of democracy is that politicians are elected by the people. If they are not elected by the people then it isn't democracy. So unless we change that we must admit we do not have a truly democratic system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back