A-League Australian Professional Leagues Discussion Thread (APL)

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

If this is not the single worst decision made over the course of the league's history then I couldn't begin to imagine what would top it.

Beyond a joke, an absolutely shameful cash grab. To NSW of all people, no less!

Stephen Conroy set to take the baton from Matildas​

The Women’s World Cup party is over, and it appears Stephen Conroy will have a big role to play in ensuring the good times keep rolling on for Australian football.
The former minister is set to become the new chair of the Australian Professional Leagues, the body that runs the A-Leagues and he is hoping to carry on the momentum of the past month into the start of the new season in October.
Conroy, who was born in England and supports Sam Kerr’s Chelsea, is no stranger to Aussie soccer politics. He was in the mix to join the board of what was then known as Football Federation Australia in late 2018, when the Lowy family was being squeezed out of the game amid a club-led revolution.
He didn’t make it, but his relationship with certain APL powerbrokers has made him the leading candidate to become the organisation’s new independent chair and to take over from Western Sydney Wanderers owner Paul Lederer.
Conroy’s Labor ties would have been helpful a few weeks ago, when the APL was pitching for a share in the recently announced $200 million fund for women’s sport. But his lobbying nous – he chairs TG Public Affairs, and was called in by PwC when the tax scandal broke – surely can’t hurt the game’s ambitions to unlock more government support.
Conroy did not return calls, and sources say it’s not quite a done deal. His appointment as APL chair is subject to formal approval by the board, which includes representatives from Football Australia and Silver Lake, the private equity firm that has invested $140 million into the A-Leagues.
Let’s hope the APL can do a little better than the last time it tried to capitalise on Australian success at a World Cup. It’s only eight months ago that Melbourne Victory fans stormed the pitch and assaulted an opposition goalkeeper, partly out of anger at the league’s pig-brained decision to controversially sell future grand final hosting rights to Destination NSW.

Confirmed Conroy is the new independent Chairman

letter from the boss..

Letter to the fans from new A-Leagues Independent Chairman Stephen Conroy​

Former federal minister Stephen Conroy has been announced as the new Independent Chairman of the Australian Professional Leagues. He begins his tenure with a letter to A-Leagues fans. Read it in full below.

Dear fellow supporters,

My name is Stephen Conroy and, like you, I’m a football fan. I have been for more than 50 years. Fundamentally that’s what lies behind my introducing myself to you today as the first independent chair of the A-Leagues.

As a father standing on the side lines in Melbourne’s suburbs; an amateur player and former junior state representative, and a Chelsea fan since my childhood, I know only too well the incredible range of emotions that our game provides. There is no better feeling than when you are winning. And that is the sustained feeling that I want for our professional game.

I have never seen greater opportunity for the immense potential of Australian and New Zealand professional football to be realised than I do today. The CommBank Matildas and the Subway Socceroos showed the world the heights they could reach in the past year, and the Isuzu UTE A-League Men and the Liberty A-League Women – the competitions where almost all of those stars were made – were proven to be the foundry of world class footballers.

As they continue to rapidly develop, our Leagues will produce an ever more exciting conveyor belt of Australasian talent that will sit at the heart of our game’s future international successes and deliver ever more competitive and hard-fought domestic fixtures.

Over the next few days and weeks I will meet with representatives of the entire Australian and New Zealand football family, as I get to work on helping to realise the ambition we all have for our game. I will meet with our clubs, our staff, our broadcast and commercial partners, representatives of the FA and its Congress, and representatives of Federal and State government. Each engagement will produce invaluable insights and opportunities. But none more so than those that I intend to continuously seek from football fans of all backgrounds across Australia and New Zealand.

My appointment means that for the first time our professional game has an independent chair. I will oversee a highly qualified and diverse Board that will welcome another independent director in the coming months. With a talented, hard-working and passionate executive team in place, APL is an organisation intent on delivering on its responsibilities to the whole game.

Having spent 35 years in the passionately tribal world that is Australian politics, including 20 years as a Senator and five and a half years as a Minister, I’m well aware that taking on a leadership role like this will mean once again navigating robust and diverse opinions. But that is simply a product of the incredible passion of football fans who are an integral part of the unrivalled levels of participation of our sport. The opportunity is to unite that passion and drive this game forward to unprecedented levels of success.

We have a lot of work to do, but the opportunity has never been greater. I know that you want the best for your club, and my intent is to make sure that everyone who loves our game feels included in the truly exciting journey that lies ahead.

Thank you for making time to read this letter, and more importantly thank you for your passion for our game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely blows my mind how poorly and with disdain the way this league is treated and being run. You wouldn’t believe a professional league can be run like this but here we are.. seriously can you imagine the AFL being run with such distain? Fmd and they plea to be given more funding from government instead of giving it to the AFL 🤦‍♂️. Well maybe if they can act more professional and not hold the sport and it’s fans to contempt then maybe governments might listen and take notice. So smarten the farrk up and start looking and acting like a professional league!!

Absolutely blows my mind how poorly and with disdain the way this league is treated and being run. You wouldn’t believe a professional league can be run like this but here we are.. seriously can you imagine the AFL being run with such distain? Fmd and they plea to be given more funding from government instead of giving it to the AFL 🤦‍♂️. Well maybe if they can act more professional and not hold the sport and it’s fans to contempt then maybe governments might listen and take notice. So smarten the farrk up and start looking and acting like a professional league!!

Are you not happy with the APL admitting they ****ed up? Surely them reversing that decision is exactly what you are asking for!!

I can also get on board with one entire round being played in Sydney. That's something I might actually get up to Sydney for.

The GF needs to remain sacred for eternity. The host needs to earn the right.

Are you not happy with the APL admitting they ****ed up? Surely them reversing that decision is exactly what you are asking for!!

I can also get on board with one entire round being played in Sydney. That's something I might actually get up to Sydney for.

The GF needs to remain sacred for eternity. The host needs to earn the right.

No. my point is it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I just get tired of all the mumbling and backtracking it just looks horrible and unprofessional on their part and doesn't help the sport.

No. my point is it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I just get tired of all the mumbling and backtracking it just looks horrible and unprofessional on their part and doesn't help the sport.

Of course it shouldn't. But it did and now the right thing has been done. I can't see why backtracking is a bad thing - and it isn't a complete backtrack either. APL have replaced GF hosting rights with a complete magic round in Sydney.

Of course it shouldn't. But it did and now the right thing has been done. I can't see why backtracking is a bad thing - and it isn't a complete backtrack either. APL have replaced GF hosting rights with a complete magic round in Sydney.

Yeah well lets see how long that lasts or if they backtrack on this concept too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back