Australian test team last 50 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh FFS, not your s**t taste in music again.
Ok, now at least I know the real Plugger is back posting now.

Little River Band and Farnsey is s**t taste in music?

Is that not Australian enough for you?

How about The Living End and Barnesy?

G Chappell
A Border
S Smith
R Ponting
S Waugh
All have great cases. Some good players to miss out.

Mike Hussey and Marnus have great records. So does Damien Martyn. And Michael Clarke. David Boon was best player in the world at number 3 for a while.

Best openers would include Taylor, Hayden, Langer. Slater good too.

Warne is in.

Gilly is in at 7.

3 quick bowlers - wow, Lillee, Thomson, Lawson, McDermott, McGrath, Gillespie. Cummins, Hazlewood.

I only started watching in around 1982 though. Too young for Doug Walters.

Could name 3 bloody amazing XIs, with Rod Marsh and Ian Healy. Some very useful cricketers in Greg Matthews, Darren Lehmann, Dean Jones, Mervyn Hughes, Paul Reiffel, Stuart McGill, Andrew Symonds, Terry Alderman, Mitch Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Rodney Hogg, Phil Jacques in my lifetime too.

Little River Band and Farnsey is s**t taste in music?

Is that not Australian enough for you?

How about The Living End and Barnesy?

Need some real Aussie classics like Crowded House, and Dragon

You can have Crowded House but we will take Midnight Oil since Bones Hillman was a Kiwi.

Deal?
Why don't we just let you join as a seventh state anyway?

Please bring your PM though- she's way better than any we've had recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G Chappell
A Border
S Smith
R Ponting
S Waugh
All have great cases. Some good players to miss out.

Mike Hussey and Marnus have great records. So does Damien Martyn. And Michael Clarke. David Boon was best player in the world at number 3 for a while.

Best openers would include Taylor, Hayden, Langer. Slater good too.

Warne is in.

Gilly is in at 7.

3 quick bowlers - wow, Lillee, Thomson, Lawson, McDermott, McGrath, Gillespie. Cummins, Hazlewood.

I only started watching in around 1982 though. Too young for Doug Walters.

Could name 3 bloody amazing XIs, with Rod Marsh and Ian Healy. Some very useful cricketers in Greg Matthews, Darren Lehmann, Dean Jones, Mervyn Hughes, Paul Reiffel, Stuart McGill, Andrew Symonds, Terry Alderman, Mitch Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Rodney Hogg, Phil Jacques in my lifetime too.
Scary bowling line up

Thomson
Lee
Lillee
Johnson

1. Hayden.
2. Warner
3. Ponting.
4. Smith
5. Border
6. S.Waugh
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Johnson
10. Lillee
11. McGrath

12. Clarke

Last edited:
Clarke ahead of Border is un-Australian... ;)
Actually you're right. I'll swap those two.

Probably a little bit of recency bias on my behalf. Border held the side up when I was growing up. I'd forgotten just how good he actually was.

Wayne Phillips
Greg Blewett
Darren Lehmann
David Hookes
Travis Head
Peter Sleep
Alex Carey
Tim May
Jason Gillespie
Shaun Tait
Mark Harrity

Last edited:
Wayne Phillips
Greg Blewett
Darren Lehmann
David Hookes
Travis Head
Peter Sleep
Alex Carrey
Tim May
Jason Gillespie
Shaun Tait
Mark Harrity
I’m surprised the McGill doesn’t get more of a mention, 29 is a pretty good average for a leggie

Aus Wasted Talent XI

J Cox - timing with other options available
W.B. Phillips - ruined trying to turn him into something he wasn't
J Siddons (c) - timing with other options available
Hodge - timing with other options available
Law - timing with other options available, particularly unlucky to be dropped for Ponting when probably (at that point) the better player; obviously Ponting would go on to be an all time great and pretty good from game one
Veletta - probably the most questionable of these picks, one of those guys who clearly had the talent but didn't put it together at Test level when he got a couple of chances. May well have done if given the number of chances others got.
Seccombe - timing with other options available, better as a straight gloveman than Gilchrist when the latter was selected
Behrendorrf - perhaps the surprising one, but I really though he would become the best lefty Aus has had since Davidson
Tait - raw pace, never quite got the control that comes with maturity until unable to bowl longer spells
MacGill - if not for Warne, shame they never worked as a partnership, MacGill was often the better of the two on the few times they played together; still a fair career but in other circumstances could have been so much more
B Reid - the sticky tape of the early 90s just wasn't strong enough

Common thread among the quicks is recurring injury cutting their chances.

Last edited:
Aus Wasted Talent XI

J Cox - timing with other options available
W.N. Phillips - ruined trying to turn him into something he wasn't
J Siddons (c) - timing with other options available
Hodge - timing with other options available
Law - timing with other options available, particularly unlucky to be dropped for Ponting when probably (at that point) the better player; obviously Ponting would go on to be an all time great and pretty good from game one
Veletta - probably the most questionable of these picks, one of those guys who clearly had the talent but didn't put it together at Test level when he got a couple of chances. May well have done if given the number of chances others got.
Seccombe - timing with other options available, better as a straight gloveman than Gilchrist when the latter was selected
Behrendorrf - perhaps the surprising one, but I really though he would become the best lefty Aus has had since Davidson
Tait - raw pace, never quite got the control that comes with maturity until unable to bowl longer spells
MacGill - if not for Warne, shame they never worked as a partnership, MacGill was often the better of the two on the few times they played together; still a fair career but in other circumstances could have been so much more
B Reid - the sticky tape of the early 90s just wasn't strong enough

Common thread among the quicks is recurring injury cutting their chances.
I'd throw Luke Pomersbach into that conversation. Bloke had huge potential in red ball cricket, until everything went astray.

Hayden
Marnus (yes I know he’s not an opener but i had to fit him in)
Smith
Ponting
G. Chappell
S. Waugh (C)
Gilchrist
Cummins
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Any improvements?

Swap smith and Ponting’s batting positions, Cummins and Warnes, take Marnus out and out Langer in and you’re good to go.

Border v S Waugh is a marginal one though.

Potentially Boonie for opener too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back