Australias Greatest Rock Chick?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure if a thread has been written before about women in rock in Australia but thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss Australias greatest rock chicks. I dont mean good singers or pop stars...but girls with balls (so to speak) who genuinelly rocked out. For me its gotta be Janet English. Very underrated because of her indie image (Spiderbait) and low profile...but my God she rocks when Kram lets her take the lead vocals. She also had a short but highly successful spin off band Happyland with her boyfriend at the time from Regurgitator.

My other nominee is an obvious one...the wildest of them all, the legendary Chrissie Amphlett. This song is a great example of her power....a good song where the male singer in the band leads out with the first verse and when she takes over, she blows the roof off. Not a big Divinyls hit but one my favorites.

Your thoughts?

Three worth a mention are:

Fiona Horne - Def FX

Adalita - Magic Dirt

Michelle Madden - Tourettes (definitely not as well known but she rocked hard, real hard when out front of Tourettes)
One of my photos of her from back in the day
uploadfromtaptalk1448179124679.jpg
And something a bit more recent...

Chrissie Amphlett by the length of the Flemington straight.

Even though I mentioned a few others Chrissie Amphlett is head and shoulders above any other Australian rock chick I've ever seen. Seeing her in the mid 80s and she was something else and she kept the performances up.

The big three for me are:

1. Chrissie Amphlett. Chrissie was in a class of her own and an inspiration to all the Aussie rock chicks who followed.

2. Suzi DeMarchi.
3. Adalita.

Others that I liked.

Susie Higgie (Falling Joys)
Fiona Horne (Def FX)
Sherine Abeyratne (Big Pig)
Abbe May
Brody Dalle (The Distillers) Pretty sure she is an Aussie.
Christa Hughes (MGF) may not be a rock chick, but she is pretty wild on stage.
Juanita Stein. Not very wild, just very hot.
Katy Steele (Little Birdy)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big three for me are:

1. Chrissie Amphlett. Chrissie was in a class of her own and an inspiration to all the Aussie rock chicks who followed.

2. Suzi DeMarchi.
3. Adalita.

Others that I liked.

Susie Higgie (Falling Joys)
Fiona Horne (Def FX)
Sherine Abeyratne (Big Pig)
Abbe May
Brody Dalle (The Distillers) Pretty sure she is an Aussie.
Christa Hughes (MGF) may not be a rock chick, but she is pretty wild on stage.
Juanita Stein. Not very wild, just very hot.
Katy Steele (Little Birdy)

Some nice selections there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back