Bailey Smith to half back for seven weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
With JJ out I think we need a like for like replacement. This could be the making of Smith. Take the game on, get creative with your ball use and learn and be forced to defend.

The game Smith is currently playing we don’t need. Something had to change, this could be a win for player and club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With JJ out I think we need a like for like replacement. This could be the making of Smith. Take the game on, get creative with your ball use and learn and be forced to defend.

The game Smith is currently playing we don’t need. Something had to change, this could be a win for player and club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suggested this last week. He’s as close to a JJ type we have. Would give us some pace and meterage off half back.

Those concerned with his lack of defensive abilities obviously watched JJ play the same role with their eyes closed.

If Baz can play large minutes in the midfield, then he’s got enough physicality in his game to give us enough defensively in the back half.

His skill issues wouldn’t be as much an issue as he’ll have far more time and space in the back half.

I’d absolutely play him there this week. Give him free rein to push right up to fwd 50, get involved closer to goal. It’ll stretch Ports defence just as JJ had done prior to injury.

I suggested this last week. He’s as close to a JJ type we have. Would give us some pace and meterage off half back.

Those concerned with his lack of defensive abilities obviously watched JJ play the same role with their eyes closed.

If Baz can play large minutes in the midfield, then he’s got enough physicality in his game to give us enough defensively in the back half.

His skill issues wouldn’t be as much an issue as he’ll have far more time and space in the back half.

I’d absolutely play him there this week. Give him free rein to push right up to fwd 50, get involved closer to goal. It’ll stretch Ports defence just as JJ had done prior to injury.

The thing is a lot of his skill errors come when he has time and space. That's why it's so noticeable

Smith may work as a half back flanker but he'd need to improve defensively.
Suggesting he could replace JJ because he also doesn't defend is possibly amongst the most alternate reality takes I've seen in a while.
One has to only look back at the job he did on Charlie Cameron earlier this year to put paid to that BS.

The thing is a lot of his skill errors come when he has time and space. That's why it's so noticeable

I’m not going to get in to where his disposals come from and how much pressure and space he has as I don’t recall each of them and don’t have any statistical data to back up either side of it.

What I can say with some confidence is that the time and space a player gets in the back half, with less ground behind him and less players around him, is a lot different than the time and space he may get through the middle of the field or in the fwd half when you’ve got a lot more players and ground to be aware of. You’ve got to use the ball quicker the closer to goal you go, where there is at a minimum a lot more perceived pressure.

I’d put my house on Baz using the ball far better if used off half back for a few weeks.

Anyway, It’s a good idea and I hope the club seriously considers it. No JJ and now no Richards. Missing that run and drive will stick out like a sore thumb this week if not amended.

Don’t like it. Use his strengths which is run and carry. Whilst disposal can be poor it’s still meters gained.
Defence isn’t a strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BF: Lol, Daniel too short and can’t kick far enough to play half back.

Daniel: AA Halfback.

BF: Lol, Dale too soft and has no defensive ability to play half back. He’s a forward, leave him there.

Dale: AA Halfback.

Few posters made to look pretty silly over the last few years. I wonder if any lessons have been learned.

The whole idea of moving him its to spark him into action and to improve in his area's of weakness such as disposal and defensive mindset.

Lets see what he can do, continuing with what we are currently doing is not going to improve our side.

Next stop we need to rejuvenate our midfield. No point dominating possession most weeks yet not getting the wins. We need more explosive damaging onballers and for me, Richards must be trailed before the years end. Libba and Macrae should really be in transition years, spending less time in the middle, otherwise we fall off a cliff next year. Other teams are already passing us, you cant stand still.

BF: Lol, Daniel too short and can’t kick far enough to play half back.

Daniel: AA Halfback.

BF: Lol, Dale too soft and has no defensive ability to play half back. He’s a forward, leave him there.

Dale: AA Halfback.

Few posters made to look pretty silly over the last few years. I wonder if any lessons have been learned.

You'll find the main objector to both those scenarios, in fact both those players in general, no longer posts here.

Quite a few in fact, were in suggestion or agreement to try Dale in particular up the field, given his disposal skills, even if some did question his "intestinal fortitude".

But keep kidding yourself you're the only one on here that has any football nous. I could list my footy background, but no point really, is there?

I’m not going to get in to where his disposals come from and how much pressure and space he has as I don’t recall each of them and don’t have any statistical data to back up either side of it.

What I can say with some confidence is that the time and space a player gets in the back half, with less ground behind him and less players around him, is a lot different than the time and space he may get through the middle of the field or in the fwd half when you’ve got a lot more players and ground to be aware of. You’ve got to use the ball quicker the closer to goal you go, where there is at a minimum a lot more perceived pressure.

I’d put my house on Baz using the ball far better if used off half back for a few weeks.

Anyway, It’s a good idea and I hope the club seriously considers it. No JJ and now no Richards. Missing that run and drive will stick out like a sore thumb this week if not amended.
You make some good points. Matthew Boyd was a great accumulator but butchered kicks under midfield pressure. He was brilliant at half back near the end of his career.

This is something I could get around trying out whilst we’re desperate for run back there and still pretty stacked in the middle.

As LB pointed out above, the idea in him moving there is to help him improve his defensive accountability and some composure with his kicking (let’s be honest it’s not a skill issue it’s literally just his composure) - could be a good challenge/shake up to get him to improve his deficiencies and round out his game for a move back to the middle.

The whole idea of moving him its to spark him into action and to improve in his area's of weakness such as disposal and defensive mindset.

Lets see what he can do, continuing with what we are currently doing is not going to improve our side.

Next stop we need to rejuvenate our midfield. No point dominating possession most weeks yet not getting the wins. We need more explosive damaging onballers and for me, Richards must be trailed before the years end. Libba and Macrae should really be in transition years, spending less time in the middle, otherwise we fall off a cliff next year. Other teams are already passing us, you cant stand still.
100% agree, we would be crazy not to try Richards on ball this year where we’re obviously not really challenging.

It’s something I want to know the potential of, for example I probably wouldn’t really spend big on Bergman I but if we moved Ed to the middle and found out we had a gun, modern onballer (which I honestly believe we do in Ed)

I’d then be open to spending big on getting Bergman across to replace Ed in defence.

You'll find the main objector to both those scenarios, in fact both those players in general, no longer posts here.

Quite a few in fact, were in suggestion or agreement to try Dale in particular up the field, given his disposal skills, even if some did question his "intestinal fortitude".

But keep kidding yourself you're the only one on here that has any football nous. I could list my footy background, but no point really, is there?

You’re genuinely in La La land Geoff if you think it was just the one poster objecting to both moves. Lots were unhappy. Some even after Dale had played multiple games there and had done well.

Those claiming it won’t work are ignoring the strengths and weakness’s of those that have filled roles down there previously. All have gone on to play it really well. 2 AA’s and a Norm Smith. All have weaknesses including defensive deficiencies. To completely right off the possibility that Baz might work down there is actually pretty ridiculous when you think about it. I was just pointing out what happened last time posters did this. Not sure why this makes you so grumpy.

Good stuff on the football background, Geoff. Sounds like you want to get it off your chest. Feel free, would love to know. PM me if you prefer.

100% agree, we would be crazy not to try Richards on ball this year where we’re obviously not really challenging.

It’s something I want to know the potential of, for example I probably wouldn’t really spend big on Bergman I but if we moved Ed to the middle and found out we had a gun, modern onballer (which I honestly believe we do in Ed)

I’d then be open to spending big on getting Bergman across to replace Ed in defence.

Jeepers Doggo… First you want to play Naughts on ball and now you want to move one of the best intercepting/rebounding half backs in the comp away from that role.

For a bloke that rattles on about the coaches doing some stupid s**t, some strange calls from you.

Ed’s a straight line player that struggles when the immediate contest is in close. You see it all the time down back. He’s good on the release or when he has space, but when the play closes in and he’s left flat footed, he can go to water. Williams and other example. Doesn’t happen to good midfielders.

Could he play wing? Probably. But then we’re down a gun half back.

You quite often claim the coaches f**k around with the side too much. You’re doing exactly that here.

Id prefer to let people settle into roles and learn to work together. Our midfield desperately needs Smith providing some dash.

What about Cleary, Gallager, Vander or McLean?

Jeepers Doggo… First you want to play Naughts on ball and now you want to move one of the best intercepting/rebounding half backs in the comp away from that role.

For a bloke that rattles on about the coaches doing some stupid s**t, some strange calls from you.

Ed’s a straight line player that struggles when the immediate contest is in close. You see it all the time down back. He’s good on the release or when he has space, but when the play closes in and he’s left flat footed, he can go to water. Williams and other example. Doesn’t happen to good midfielders.

You quite often claim the coaches f**k around with the side too much. You’re doing exactly that here.
Lets see how he goes, we can't wait for next years draft crop to come good in 3 years. Bont need support and we need to identify who best placed within. All our current onballers are slowing heading in the wrong direction, just due to age, we need to start to rejuvenation this year.

I’m fine with the coaches switching players to new roles here and there to try and find out whether a player is capable of playing that role. Not sure how many times I have to clarify this, my issue has ALWAYS been about the back & forth s**t our coach pulls, ie JOD over the past few weeks, Hannan & Treloar to backline for the better part of half a game and that’s it.

I’ve always been okay with changing players roles for an extended period of time when they just make sense, ie Dale & Daniel to defence. I was even okay with the JJ move forward because it made sense, and we gave it time to actually see it out. Even though in the end it was marked a failure but that’s fine.

I have literally never had an issue with these sort of moves 😂 they’re completely 100% different to our spinning of the magnets bingo game Bev plays with the structure of the side on a weekly basis.

Well we must be watching a different player when it comes to Red, completely disagree with you there he is one of our best inside players in the side. His composure and movement through traffic has been fantastic, I do
Not see him as a straight line player anymore at all (yes 4 years ago sure). Couldn’t possibly disagree with you more that he goes to water in the contest, honestly think we’re talking about different players here.

Personally I think he has the attributes to be a very good midfielder, I’d take that every day of the week over a very good half back flank. Maybe it would fail maybe it would succeed who knows, but it’s worth a try for 5 games when the downside is what? We still suck as much as we did previously? What a disaster, or the upside is we find a young, key component of our midfield going forward.

Again these sort of role changes (which you’re literally suggesting similar with Baz?) are in no way comparable to playing JOD back and forward then back again across a 3 week period.

Lets see how he goes, we can't wait for next years draft crop to come good in 3 years. Bont need support and we need to identify who best placed within. All our current onballers are slowing heading in the wrong direction, just due to age, we need to start to rejuvenation this year.

We don’t need new mids in there yet. The Current lot are doing fine. Libba’s the only concern short term but even then he’s not showing any signs of an imminent drop off this season.

We shouldn’t be selling off our best assets to maybe have enough to pay off a debt that’s not even due yet.

Draft mids this year, they’ll be ready to go when needed.

I just don’t see it with Ed. And the coaches seem to not see it either as Ed’s played bugger all midfield minutes in his time at the club. Same goes for JJ and Williams. Their strengths are better suited elsewhere hence not played In the midfield at all.

We’ve got the best half back combo in the comp currently in Dale and Ed, I don’t understand why we’d change that up. And at 26 and 23 hrs old respectively, they’ll give us the same for the next 5+ years.

Maybe give it a go if Ed was struggling to find his spot in the side as was the case a few years ago. Not now though when he’s playing the best footy of his career in an intercepting rebounding role.

It just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back