Review Bassat completes men's football program review

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright I’ll pay the statistics but it’s damming that somehow we suck so much at these sold games while the other teams manage to deal with foreign playing conditions fine. Are we that soft

I think we are pretty soft. Hopefully that changes under Lyon.

But to be fair we’ve also been pretty shite the earlier years when we have played some of those games too.

The NZ games were when we were wooden spoon candidates and a totally different list. Just checked…

2013 - NZ - lost to Sydney when we finished 16th and they were 4th

2014 - NZ - lost to Brisbane when we finished last and they were 15th

2015 - NZ - lost to Carlton when we were 14th and Carlton were last

2019 - China - lost to Port when we finished 14th and they were 10th

2021 - Cairns - lost to Adelaide, we finished 10th and they were 15th

2022 - Cairns - lost to Port, we finished 10th and they were 11th

Only one of those games we would be massive underdogs (Sydney in 2013), all of the other games were very winnable.

I agree just wanted to devils advocate. If it is the venues making us lose why are we so appalling at travel where other teams are not. Maybe that should be the fix not simply not selling games.
I don’t think the venue is the main reason we lose but why not give ourselves the best advantage and play it at home?

No point in disadvantaging ourselves and we have a good record at Marvel.

Cairns is also so humid and the conditions totally different for the players.

It’s the same for both teams but that’s the point. It’s making a home game where we are favourites a leveller and so giving ourselves an even chance instead of home advantage.

If we were going to sell to Cairns we would be better playing another Melbourne Marvel based team there - but we can’t control the fixture obvs.

The only consideration the board would have had in regards to the Cairns game was "was this a controllable aspect that effected our win?" The answer to that is yes, we made the choice to play there and it contributed to us losing the match due to the conditions.

Of course the real quantifiable reason was our shithouse kicking on the day but from a decicions standpoint the board has to take the position of maximising our ability to win games of football going forward. If they can simply say "play at Marvel" and it happens then they have contributed to winning the game which has to be our focus going forward.

If the board sees us paying off the debt in the not distant future then we don't need a Cairns game. The Cairns game serves no purpose but to advantage our opposition, the worst conditions probably ever seen to play football in the game this year, it killed our season and moving on from it is absolutely the right idea.

If we did it again I doubt the new coach would pay lip service he'd tell it exactly as it is that we shouldn't be throwing away games for money.

I was surprised with the stuff about the cause games as I'd always assumed it was separate to footy, it's interesting to me that they have found that it negatively affects our performance. It's probably a catch 22 situation where if we were a well-drilled side we wouldn't let it affect us but for whatever reason we do. It seems we haven't been good at separating the two and I think Ratts probably let himself get drawn into stuff around the cause games too much and forgot to allow the focus to be on football for the players.

That's a really good document. Clear and concise, and I don't think anyone on here would argue with too many of the conclusions.
Anyone else find it strange the guy who was responsible for the football dept that had so many issues was promoted to CEO

Like don't get me wrong the review is spot on.

I just find it amusing key pillars that produced that poor outcome are still there or have been promoted.

Anyone else find it strange the guy who was responsible for the football dept that had so many issues was promoted to CEO

I just find it amusing key pillars that produced that poor outcome are still there or have been promoted.
I find it ****ing amazing he still has a job

St kilda: we have no trust in those that work in the football department. The culture is poor and the results are unacceptable

Also st kilda: the guy in charge of that s**t show is now going to be made CEO

You literally couldn't make this up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The review IMO is fine and it highlights alot of the issues people had already identified on here.

However I think the real issue it highlighted was a lack of leadership from the board down.

It mentions the board and president didn't drive results hard enough. Thats the real issue. Everything is a symptom of that.

It's all well and good to get 3-4 years in and start trying to turn it around but tbh it's all a little bit too late. Any decent leadership wouldn't let it get to this stage and essentially let them run free with a lack of accountability. Like what have they been doing? Letting the football department just do as it pleased? They're not there to do the work but they are there to ask questions and set the high level strategy and make sure we are doing the things necessary to achieve it. Feels like the governance was waning and lack lustre.

I dont see the fortunes at the club changing until we get a new president and CEO and some churn on the board TBH.

Maybe you and everyone else that attacks Lethlean are completely and utterly wrong. Or is Bassatt only ruthless when it fits a certain narrative?
There has just been a review where Bassat and the board selected Lethlean to carry it out. Maybe the hint is right there.

I dont see the fortunes at the club changing until we get a new president and CEO and some churn on the board TBH.
What do you know about being in the board of a football club? I would wager zero.

Just had a review where many people lost their positiions but get this

Walsh
Hayes
Harvey
Goddard
Misson
Lyon

All top grade football people just came on board. Lyon would not come on board unless all the pillars are in sync. He then accepted the job.
We just had the biggest shake up of the football department in a decade and you want to get rifd of the people who did it? For whom?
Spare me.

Last edited:
Maybe you and everyone else that attacks Lethlean are completely and utterly wrong. Or is Bassatt only ruthless when it fits a certain narrative?
There has just been a review where Bassat and the board selected Lethlean to carry it out. Maybe the hint is right there.
Nah I'm not wrong about him
I wrapped with whats happened but would be happier if Leathlean was gone
So Ratts is the only one that deserves to go ?

The review IMO is fine and it highlights alot of the issues people had already identified on here.

However I think the real issue it highlighted was a lack of leadership from the board down.

It mentions the board and president didn't drive results hard enough. Thats the real issue. Everything is a symptom of that.

It's all well and good to get 3-4 years in and start trying to turn it around but tbh it's all a little bit too late. Any decent leadership wouldn't let it get to this stage and essentially let them run free with a lack of accountability. Like what have they been doing? Letting the football department just do as it pleased? They're not there to do the work but they are there to ask questions and set the high level strategy and make sure we are doing the things necessary to achieve it. Feels like the governance was waning and lack lustre.

Don't really see the point. If the reviewers are bad then the review was a waste too. At some point you have to trust someone don't you?

Nah I'm not wrong about him
I wrapped with whats happened but would be happier if Leathlean was gone
So Ratts is the only one that deserves to go ?
I like everyone else has no clue. What I do know is that Basset didn't become a multi millionaire by surrounding himself with incompetents. The fact that he appointed Lethlean as co chair of the review says to me that Basset had a good idea where the problems were and it is not Lethlean. that and the fact that he and the board have decided on him being CEO leads me to believe that they know more than us.

As for Ratts being the only one. Him, Jacobs, the fitness bloke, looks like Roughead are all gone, Finnis has stepped down.

I think Lethlean will make an excellent CEO and obviously Basset, the board and Ross Lyon think so as well.

I like everyone else has no clue. What I do know is that Basset didn't become a multi millionaire by surrounding himself with incompetents. The fact that he appointed Lethlean as co chair of the review says to me that Basset had a good idea where the problems were and it is not Lethlean. that and the fact that he and the board have decided on him being CEO leads me to believe that they know more than us.

As for Ratts being the only one. Him, Jacobs, the fitness bloke, looks like Roughead are all gone, Finnis has stepped down.

I think Lethlean will make an excellent CEO and obviously Basset, the board and Ross Lyon think so as well.
Jacobs part timer
fitness bloke is still there
Roughead was he ever really there

Nah said ages ago Ratts wasn't the the right person and footy department and program was no good

Its ok you will see I'm right about Leathlean eventually

Last edited:
I was surprised with the stuff about the cause games as I'd always assumed it was separate to footy, it's interesting to me that they have found that it negatively affects our performance. It's probably a catch 22 situation where if we were a well-drilled side we wouldn't let it affect us but for whatever reason we do. It seems we haven't been good at separating the two and I think Ratts probably let himself get drawn into stuff around the cause games too much and forgot to allow the focus to be on football for the players.
With all due respect Iewdogs, it was always clear to me that the cause games compromised & negatively affected our footy preparation & actual performance, eg Round 2, 2021.

Further, now that the review has been completed and key people such as Finnis and Ratten are gone, many lapsed members like myself will sign up again.

I personally feel reinvigorated, focused & excited about our future.

St kilda: we have no trust in those that work in the football department. The culture is poor and the results are unacceptable

Also st kilda: the guy in charge of that s**t show is now going to be made CEO

You literally couldn't make this up.
I hope you’re wrong and I’m sure you do too. Maybe the guy just isn’t cut out for being in charge of football as opposed to being in charge of a football club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back