Opinion Happiest football memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints4ever

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda
For me it’s when the siren sounded in The 2009 prelim against the dogs.
We finally made it past a prelim after the disappointment of 04, 05 and 08.
We was finally going to the big dance after years of falling short.
Was only 13 in 97 so I took that for granted a little bit.
I really hope I can top that feeling 1 day with the ultimate prize.

I don't do fond. Endurance is all I get out of footy. The good times are just breaths in between the hard grind, they give me just enough of a sip at the cup of enjoyment to keep me grinding my fingers off with a cheese grater. The fond memories are just the uphill bits of the roller coaster before the inevitable plunge back into despair.

Check my profile pic

When Roo poked that ball through that was the most exciting thing I’ve seen at the footy after all the pain of 04-08 and never going to the big dance

Who knew there was another layer of pain still undiscovered
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

97 Prelim because of who we beat and how we beat them. Hard to overstate how dominant the Roos were in that era. Best coach of the 90s and best player of the 90s. First proper success we'd had since '71. Out of the wilderness after 25 years.

Schwarze goal 2004. Hugged strangers and watched concrete structures shake. Never forget the noise.

Loved the big wins in 2009 (Round 14 and Prelim) but also felt the pressure and expectation that year. Prelim victory was pretty special and there was a lot of relief after the previous few years.

BJ mark 2010 GF. That's what it feels like to win a flag. For one minute. I will know that feeling forever. Words cannot describe.

from games I was at...

• Goddard's mark and goal, almost cried
  • Troy Schwarze goal after the siren against brisbane... place erupted. Very rare to get a goal after the siren in normal play, was surreal!
  • watching milne play in his first few seasons, was at every game, the way he would slip over and everyone would fall over him, then he'd jump up and kick a goal, was so fun to watch as a youngster
  • prelims vs the dogs
  • gardner goal v geelong, cracking game

from games I was at...

• Goddard's mark and goal, almost cried
  • Troy Schwarze goal after the siren against brisbane... place erupted. Very rare to get a goal after the siren in normal play, was surreal!
  • watching milne play in his first few seasons, was at every game, the way he would slip over and everyone would fall over him, then he'd jump up and kick a goal, was so fun to watch as a youngster
  • prelims vs the dogs
  • gardner goal v geelong, cracking game

The Schwartz goal was probably the best atmosphere I have ever felt at a stadium. It was like the monsoon breaking after years of promise. It definitely shook that night.

I can’t wait until I am delayed for a flight for five hours. Coming back to this thread and watching every single video link!

One of the best days of my life was doing a similar thing seven year ago, delayed in the Qantas lounge in Melbourne drinking their cheap red wine!!!!

One of the most "happy" games i attended was the last game of the 2008 season.
We were on 12 wins playing Essendon, and we were probably going to end up 5th on the ladder if we won.
Adelaide were already on 13 wins, but had better percentage. 12 wins we'd have made finals, maybe 7th or 8th.

Saints were amazing. Roo kicked a lazy 4. Milne was unbeatable , kicked 7.
Essendon supporters leaving at half time.
Had the live ladder up on the screen as percentage increased enough to get us into 4th. As we got nearer and nearer to it, the Saints supporters were going berserk.

Final score 137 vs 39.

One of the most "happy" games i attended was the last game of the 2008 season.
We were on 12 wins playing Essendon, and we were probably going to end up 5th on the ladder if we won.
Adelaide were already on 13 wins, but had better percentage. 12 wins we'd have made finals, maybe 7th or 8th.

Saints were amazing. Roo kicked a lazy 4. Milne was unbeatable , kicked 7.
Essendon supporters leaving at half time.
Had the live ladder up on the screen as percentage increased enough to get us into 4th. As we got nearer and nearer to it, the Saints supporters were going berserk.

Final score 137 vs 39.
Love that game. I talk about it all the time and how Adelaide was already advertising the match as if they’d finish fourth before ours had finished!

that was me as well-when BJ took that mark in front of us I turned to my 16 year old son and said"Pat i think we have got this"
Is that you, dad?

I was also there with my dad, was 20 at the time and the whole grand final is a massive blur for me except the Goddard mark.

Thought that was the moment.

I was in the cheer squad and got told to sit down by an old woman behind me when he goaled. Talk about a downer.

Much like everyone else it's the only time I thought we'd be premiers.

Is that you, dad?

I was also there with my dad, was 20 at the time and the whole grand final is a massive blur for me except the Goddard mark.

Thought that was the moment.
I remember that thought ran through my head for a moment, but then it quickly went to “nup too good to be true”……and of course it was.

‘09 prelim is the standout for me. The relief after so many finals and prelims to finally play in the big one, just can’t go past that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back