Opinion Happiest football memory

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough, this thread is so depressing. Knowing we've lived thru these moments but they've still amounted to nothing :'(

My fondest footy memory is Mitchito's running goal from 55m in last qtr of the 2025 GF to seal the win.

Who kicked the first goal and what was the margin please?

For me it's the round 14(?) 2009 game against the Cats where Gardy took the mark and goal to keep us undefeated. Still one of the best games of all time and against a Cats juggernaut that's when you knew we were legit.

The prelim that year I can't disassociate from what came next, I also remember being somewhat disappointed we only just scraped through.

BEST football memories for me were the big comebacks when Plugger ran riot. Sydney, and another against the Hawks at Moorabbin that I think ended in a draw. Pluggers big first 3 games of 91. The streak, the prelims and Schwarze are up there.

HAPPY is a different story. Watching the kid a couple of lockers down from me at school get a game and play well first up. Pinching BJ from the Blues. Firing Watson. Luring Malcolm. Firing Malcolm. Picking up the next gun FF with pick 1 a few years back. The Essendon saga. Running out of ideas. A flag would help.

For me it's the round 14(?) 2009 game against the Cats where Gardy took the mark and goal to keep us undefeated. Still one of the best games of all time and against a Cats juggernaut that's when you knew we were legit.

The prelim that year I can't disassociate from what came next, I also remember being somewhat disappointed we only just scraped through.
Yeah, I was there - amazing game. Sitting near some real a-hole cats supporters. We really gave it to them after the siren.

My favourite day (night) at the footy was the 97 Prelim. But as a, at the time, casual supporter, I didn't really know what it meant. I was 17 and three years away from becoming a member and going every week.

My grandmother died in 2008. This has nothing to do with footy, but it had been an emotional year and I too have very, very fond memories of that last H&A game in 2008 when we beat Essendon (my most despised team) to finish fourth. The Essendon fans around us got very snippy - like a literal hit of energy into my veins.

Round 6 2004 was the loudest I'd ever heard the Docklands after Schwarze kicked that goal. He was a late inclusion for Hamill that day as well. Very few places beat the Docklands with a full house, roof closed and the Saints humming. It's happened much less than I think we all would like.

And the Goddard mark. My favourite player doing what we thought was not possible. My mum started crying as did the woman in front of us. I regained my own composure and told them there was plenty of time left. But for a fleeting moment, all of us knew what it would feel like if we did get there.

Is that you, dad?

I was also there with my dad, was 20 at the time and the whole grand final is a massive blur for me except the Goddard mark.

Thought that was the moment.
We were down the other end of the ground. Could not work out who it was when we saw the player on top of the pack. I remember saying “is it Kosi”?! Ha ha ha, as if! What a moment.

Four stand out.

2005 qualifying final the greatest game I've ever seen us play.

Pretty much the 4 that came to mind for me as well. All rippers.

Would also throw in Bangers 350th in 2007. And one that isn't really happy, the 2002 draw against the Swans. Will never forget being behind the goals and watching Daniel Wulf sprint to cut off the pass in front of goals, jumping out of my seat to start celebrating only for him to ram it into the post!

Incidentally, Wulf was down at Moorabbin one training earlier this year and he was introduced to a group of us. His first line was 'Hi I'm Daniel, I'm the guy that hit the post'. Poor fella must never live it down.

My favourite day (night) at the footy was the 97 Prelim. But as a, at the time, casual supporter, I didn't really know what it meant. I was 17 and three years away from becoming a member and going every week.

My grandmother died in 2008. This has nothing to do with footy, but it had been an emotional year and I too have very, very fond memories of that last H&A game in 2008 when we beat Essendon (my most despised team) to finish fourth. The Essendon fans around us got very snippy - like a literal hit of energy into my veins.

Round 6 2004 was the loudest I'd ever heard the Docklands after Schwarze kicked that goal. He was a late inclusion for Hamill that day as well. Very few places beat the Docklands with a full house, roof closed and the Saints humming. It's happened much less than I think we all would like.

And the Goddard mark. My favourite player doing what we thought was not possible. My mum started crying as did the woman in front of us. I regained my own composure and told them there was plenty of time left. But for a fleeting moment, all of us knew what it would feel like if we did get there.
Often said that I have had happier days and sadder days than that day, but never in one day have I had such a range of emotions in such a short period of time.

Lots of people have watched their team win a grand final, but far fewer have sat there and gone through that. That is special, albeit not satisfying. But it is very unique and we have that.

The adrenaline rush when Goddard took that mark and the crowd erupting loudly is a vivid memory for me. Also I remember my 6 year old self seeing the sheer joy and disbelief on my father's face when he came home from the 1966 Grand Final.

Often said that I have had happier days and sadder days than that day, but never in one day have I had such a range of emotions in such a short period of time.

Lots of people have watched their team win a grand final, but far fewer have sat there and gone through that. That is special, albeit not satisfying. But it is very unique and we have that.
Funnily enough, my happiest days at the footy are games where we weren't a good side and flogged teams with an early blast, leaving the rest of the game to enjoy. Sometimes we were a good side too. It's those pressure free second halves of games.

Since becoming a member in 2000, the best examples of this are:

Round 10, 2002 v West Coast

and

Round 18, 2014 v Fremantle

Also, the last game in 2013 was very enjoyable. I can't remember enjoying a St Kilda goal more than when Jason Blake kicked one in his last game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough, my happiest days at the footy are games where we weren't a good side and flogged teams with an early blast, leaving the rest of the game to enjoy. Sometimes we were a good side too. It's those pressure free second halves of games.

Since becoming a member in 2000, the best examples of this are:

Round 10, 2002 v West Coast

and

Round 18, 2014 v Fremantle

Also, the last game in 2013 was very enjoyable. I can't remember enjoying a St Kilda goal more than when Jason Blake kicked one in his last game.
Was that Also Kosi’s where he kicked one from outside 50 and it hit the post?!

Don't get me started. Game over, result inconsequential, and they score review Kosi's goal and change it to a point. The only bad part of a wonderful day.
I recall he said it didn’t matter, they couldn’t ever take that celebration away from him, like the Storm premierships when they were cheating!!! 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back