Review Bassat completes men's football program review

Remove this Banner Ad

Joff come on man.

When richo was turfed we brought in a new list manager, new head of footy, new assistants.

When watters was sent packing we had ameet trout Cox pelchen plus a new team of assistants all come in.

I dont see it any different. It's what happens.

This isn't a magic elixir the big issue staring all of us in the face is we've had a report highlight the board wasn't doing its job and wasn't asking enough hard questions. Coupled with a football department that wasn't honest and didn't drive a high enough standard.

Does anyone remember why pelchen was moved on or why Cox was moved on? Hint it's the same reason mentioned in this report... it didn't perform to a high enough standard and was pointed enough.

I guess it feels like a bigger churn this time...... But I think you could be right. Hopefully one day we'll get it right. This direction seems like a better one but 2 years ago Ratts seemed like the answer. I feel like I have a lot more hope now at least.

Have to say that the excuse of 'Cause' games is quite funny.
Just goes to show how mentally fragile the whole club is.
Doesn't seem to be an impact on other clubs with the same types of games.
If we need to get rid of them even with Ross around then there are bigger issues.

As others have stated I find it interesting that that bloke who was the "Football Director" hasn't taken a hit but has gotten a promotion. Just have to see how that goes.

I guess it feels like a bigger churn this time...... But I think you could be right. Hopefully one day we'll get it right. This direction seems like a better one but 2 years ago Ratts seemed like the answer. I feel like I have a lot more hope now at least.
It's funny because three years ago it was all about "we need premiership people at the club so anyone but St Kilda people".

Now it's "we need people that understand the club".

At the end of the day it's the start of a new chapter and that's refreshing. But really as a supporter it's just another leap of faith.

But having said that I genuinely feel that this coaching group is a lot better especially the one at the top. Fingers crossed.

It's funny because three years ago it was all about "we need premiership people at the club so anyone but St Kilda people".

Now it's "we need people that understand the club".

At the end of the day it's the start of a new chapter and that's refreshing. But really as a supporter it's just another leap of faith.

But having said that I genuinely feel that this coaching group is a lot better especially the one at the top. Fingers crossed.

Biggest shake up in years and Ratts is really the only big name to get the bullet
That's the only bit i don't agree with

And yes the changes to the footy department are great
Lyon
Mission
Walsh
Are a HUGE improvement

Most of the people in charge, the assistant coaches, were not big names.
If they'd been good , they might have made bigger names for themselves.

We also did a megaflood against Sydney where Daniel Wulf ran into an open goal and kicked a point and we drew.

It was also Dal Santo's first or second game and he had a kick after the siren from 60m to win but didn't make the distance.
The double brother game.

If you were on a corporate entity's board and people kept stringing you along despite all results showing the opposite, heads would roll all over the place. Someone should have been able to work out that a lot of what they were doing was not best practice. In a results driven industry it's pretty easy to get a read on. Footy is a lot easier to work out than the corporate landscape.
8-3 at the break, when it went wrong the review was started in July. Exactly what you asked for above.

The guy I spoke to last week knows Rooey personally and he said he complained to Rooey about Lethlean for the same reasons as many have on here - connections with Hannebery’s dad and Dan’s contract, Gags being a mate, some of the list management decisions etc…

Apparently Rooey said that whilst that’s true RE the pre existing connections, Lethlean is a good operator and a real go getter who will actually be good for the club, whatever happens he will push hard to make things happen to get us back up to the top. We’re better having Lethlean than not having him.

So I guess Rooey’s opinion on it changed the opinion of the guy I was talking to.

Jury still very much out for me on it but this convo gave me more confidence. Now Lethlean has the top job at the club we’ll see over the next few years how he goes.
Fascinating, thanks for sharing

Couldn't ask for a lot more from the document.

I feel like he has delivered what he promised.

Now....

Time to rock'n'roll

Bring on 2023.
I hope that's just what they posted for members to read and that there is another version

Do we want to waste 650k by giving up the game in Cairns? Will the Saints have to pay money in compensation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing I'd ask for any of the cause games is to lose the part of the players being involved on the ground before the game at the 'Spud' game.

There has been more than enough emotional build up that week for the players than then having to stand and listen to his mates bring that sense of sadness on even further.

Do all that earlier for the supporters, particularly those of us who watched Spud play, by all means but leave the players out of it. They've heard all the stories and train in front of the Danny Frawley centre every day. There's more than enough respect shown by them that week without a media focused show.

The only thing I'd ask for any of the cause games is to lose the part of the players being involved on the ground before the game at the 'Spud' game.

There has been more than enough emotional build up that week for the players than then having to stand and listen to his mates bring that sense of sadness on even further.

Do all that earlier for the supporters, particularly those of us who watched Spud play, by all means but leave the players out of it. They've heard all the stories and train in front of the Danny Frawley centre every day. There's more than enough respect shown by them that week without a media focused show.
Wearing a guernsey with a color or picture on it should be all they do. Maybe a quick photo on the Tuesday wearing it.

Nothing else until we achieve some real success.

I'm fine with Maddie's match

Spud's game has been handled poorly. Total headf*ck for the players

Pride round i have mixed feelings. I think some of the crowd get confused. I was at the last one and at quarter time the dude next to me started trying to blow me. I couldn't believe what was going on.... i was appalled. The second he finished i went straight and complained to security.

I'm fine with Maddie's match

Spud's game has been handled poorly. Total headf*ck for the players

Pride round i have mixed feelings. I think some of the crowd get confused. I was at the last one and at quarter time the dude next to me started trying to blow me. I couldn't believe what was going on.... i was appalled. The second he finished i went straight and complained to security.
Oh gosh that made me LOL

The board were not watching the footy department. If we gave half the arse it could only be a good thing. That report looks absolutely terrible for them.

The footy department repair job is great but it doesn't excuse all the bad calls that they've made in the last decade.

Isn’t that the role of the Football Director? Isn’t he supposed to be the liaison between the football department and the board.

Isn’t Dean Anderson the football director? I’d be replacing him pronto. Clearly he hasn’t fulfilled his role well enough.

We are never going to get the real answer from the review. It's just an overview on all the things that they have already discussed in the press conferences.

I've been saying this for a decade now, but when I look at our squad compared to others it seems like it's always men against boys. Our players have been physically under developed compared to youngsters of other clubs. I'm not saying they need to be Ronnie Coleman looking, but we have been lacking hard physical bodies.

My 2 cents on the coach is that I never rated Ratts as a coach. We had no game plan what's so ever besides kicking it long to a pack down the line. He never knew how to stop momentum when teams got on a roll and the squad has become even more mentally fragile then what they were under Richo when I look at all the big games we have played in.

Lethlean and Bassat the jury is still out. The way they have dealt with the whole Ratts extension and then sacking 6 months later has been an absolute shambles. Coming out and saying footy department was sub par with low standards etc etc then what has Lethlean been doing the last 3 years? He is as much at fault as Ratts if that's what the review really found out and yet gets a promotion.

One more stuff up from Lethlean and I would show him the door no matter how small or big it is. He has had long enough at the club to make some changes and as far as I'm concerned hasn't done a single thing.

Bassatt for me needs to make sure he has the correct people around him making decisions. Lethlean and Finnes when it comes to culture/winning games of footy have been a failure thus far. If Leathlean doesn't work out then Bassatt can go along with him as far as I'm concerned.

The issue with this statement is that it takes no review of the situation we find ourselves in.

We play port at marvel on a Saturday night instead - in the same situation. We probably win 9/10 times.

That win puts us at 48 points needing 1 win from Brisbane or Sydney.

Insanely better proposition then needing back to back wins against both.

Then we get Freo at Optus - same place we beat them in round 2. Probably lose. But who knows.

But you wouldn’t be short in the pocket with an extra 20-25k at Marvel for the last 2 games + a final at minimum.
and if we won that game and scraped into finals, playing the way we were at the end, what's achieved? does Ratts stay? does the review dive deep enough?
blaming the venue as has been done reduces the issues this club has IMO, even getting to 8-3 was sporadic and nothing in our game was consistent.

it's not about being short, it's about gaining ground, I see it as an opportunity missed, not going to argue to hard on it.
I think for now it’s the right decision to not sell home games. Maybe in 2-3 years time once the team is settled and (hopefully) no longer mentally weak then we can revisit the idea of selling home games.
It’s always going to be an issue if we’re a mid-bottom table team and selling potential wins.
If we’re a better team that’s better coached then by all means we should back ourselves to win anywhere. But next year or 2 probably isn’t going to be the case.
by the same token, stick at it for a few years take the extra $1.5-2m, and wipe that debt out, so that when the changes are coming to fruition, we have no debt, and we can actually move forwards without having to carry baggage.

In saying that, until we see what the debt reduction effort is this year my argument might be hollow

Isn’t that the role of the Football Director? Isn’t he supposed to be the liaison between the football department and the board.

Isn’t Dean Anderson the football director? I’d be replacing him pronto. Clearly he hasn’t fulfilled his role well enough.

Not sure what Anderson does to be honest. If he’s ******* his role up he should get a shove,

Not sure what Anderson does to be honest. If he’s ******* his role up he should get a shove,
Unless he can get his son to play for us 😝

Remove this Banner Ad

Back