Review Bassat completes men's football program review

Remove this Banner Ad

We are never going to get the real answer from the review. It's just an overview on all the things that they have already discussed in the press conferences.

I've been saying this for a decade now, but when I look at our squad compared to others it seems like it's always men against boys. Our players have been physically under developed compared to youngsters of other clubs. I'm not saying they need to be Ronnie Coleman looking, but we have been lacking hard physical bodies.

My 2 cents on the coach is that I never rated Ratts as a coach. We had no game plan what's so ever besides kicking it long to a pack down the line. He never knew how to stop momentum when teams got on a roll and the squad has become even more mentally fragile then what they were under Richo when I look at all the big games we have played in.

Lethlean and Bassat the jury is still out. The way they have dealt with the whole Ratts extension and then sacking 6 months later has been an absolute shambles. Coming out and saying footy department was sub par with low standards etc etc then what has Lethlean been doing the last 3 years? He is as much at fault as Ratts if that's what the review really found out and yet gets a promotion.

One more stuff up from Lethlean and I would show him the door no matter how small or big it is. He has had long enough at the club to make some changes and as far as I'm concerned hasn't done a single thing.

Bassatt for me needs to make sure he has the correct people around him making decisions. Lethlean and Finnes when it comes to culture/winning games of footy have been a failure thus far. If Leathlean doesn't work out then Bassatt can go along with him as far as I'm concerned.

Ratts is fine as a coach if you want your dad to give you a coaches award and your ceiling is participation awards. If you need a driver, he's the wrong guy for it. This is on assistants squarely for me, Lade is a potato, can cook different ways but at the end all you have is a cooked potato, he wasn't the one driving progression. None of them were, it was really only when Enright came in that we looked to try and change things, so it was just a bunch of people going "this is fine" whilst the players were running around confused up that point.

Lethers and Bassat, I am goddamn excited that we might have something lasting finally. Tired of having pres' and CEO's just firmly entrench a thumb up their arse or focus only on one aspect of a club and one only. But here you have a guy that would have been running the whole comp if he kept it in his pants and recognised a power play, with a guy that built things from scratch to be a benefit to most. They made statements internally, they backed them up, they were then totally forthcoming, this isn't a Blues thing where one mob shook your hand whilst a second knifed you and a third whispered how much they want to boof you whilst a fourth kept running into the door since they dunno how doors work, this is people comfortable enough to speak to your face and tell you you're s**t at your job and we're looking elsewhere, but it's us and not you.

They're operations people where one was football isolated for a time.

Finnis did great for us in building that networking, giving us something out there and an image to work with that wasn't just we have not much and not worth it as we'll beat ourselves. This is the culture moment of the "new" us, for who we will be moving forward, and we've those 2 in position to do it. if all we have to worry about is Lether looking at a staffer and going "how you doin?", we're doing OK, really.

If in about 4 years and we're an adult again and up to our neck selling assets, and these two are still there, then we can worry and start throwing sinks out windows or at people, but right now: realistic change to finally grow up as a club and demand to be counted instead of just crying about it.

Look at hindsight for a second with this review;

Ratts came in, covid hit, remarks were how great it was to become a team instead of individuals.
Rath came in, covid still in swing, remarks about how people weren't speaking well to each other.
Last year and this year happened, this year ended with a few people getting terminated. communication and people driving standards in that department were flagged as an issue.

So my answer to what has Lethers been doing and why did his bring in his banking mate in Gags in the past 3 years; he was there to audit the place.

I'm fine with Maddie's match

Spud's game has been handled poorly. Total headf*ck for the players

Pride round i have mixed feelings. I think some of the crowd get confused. I was at the last one and at quarter time the dude next to me started trying to blow me. I couldn't believe what was going on.... i was appalled. The second he finished i went straight and complained to security.
I've been to more Pride Games than regular games since they've started owing to the fact that my best mate barracks for the Swans. A couple of years ago at Marvel Stadium, they had these lovely signs up on the toilets encouraging people to use whichever gender toilets they felt comfortable using.

My #1 life regret of the last decade is not using the womens toilets that night. I'll never forgive myself.

I don't care one way or another about these 'cause games' but I would love to actually understand how they have had any negative effects.

Is it the pre-game time taken doing additional interviews? The pressure of performing on the big stage? What is it?

Honestly struggle to understand how it could result in poor on-field performance. Doesn't seem to have affected Richmond, Sydney, or Melbourne.
Complete scapegoat to redirect attention away from more lacking fundamental issues with the club.

I'm not saying he's been perfect, I'm saying your a bit OTT on the subject.

Maybe your source doesn't like him and has a skewed opinion. Maybe you don't have proper context on every front.

There's plenty l don't like about him but l get over it because the club has been on an upeard trend since he arrived and he continues to make more good decisions than bad ones. Since he just got the top job he'll be around for a while yet. Could you give it a rest for our sake perhaps??
The club hasn't really been on much of an upward trend tho? Weve been pretty similar since 2016 on field. I'm confident it will now tho, but that is more because of the review and the football department in place. We will have to see how now Lethers managers the commercial side of it, to see if he is good at that

and if we won that game and scraped into finals, playing the way we were at the end, what's achieved? does Ratts stay? does the review dive deep enough?
blaming the venue as has been done reduces the issues this club has IMO, even getting to 8-3 was sporadic and nothing in our game was consistent.

it's not about being short, it's about gaining ground, I see it as an opportunity missed, not going to argue to hard on it.

by the same token, stick at it for a few years take the extra $1.5-2m, and wipe that debt out, so that when the changes are coming to fruition, we have no debt, and we can actually move forwards without having to carry baggage.

In saying that, until we see what the debt reduction effort is this year my argument might be hollow
I agree with ya. If we can't win games like the Cairns game or these cause games, there is no point in scraping into finals. You need to be a lot mentally tougher than that if you're going to be successful.

The club hasn't really been on much of an upward trend tho? Weve been pretty similar since 2016 on field. I'm confident it will now tho, but that is more because of the review and the football department in place. We will have to see how now Lethers managers the commercial side of it, to see if he is good at that
The club has been on a substantial upward trend fir a while now but it's not been reflected in the win loss.
Those 100 or s employees that RBT mentioned did not just appear in the last 6 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back